Winchester parts shortage? no, wacky gunsmith...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester parts shortage? no, wacky gunsmith...

Post by MacEntyre »

I need a new gunsmith... for the last several months, he has had my Win94, which was having under-the-carrier-jams. He says he can't get parts, and the parts that are delivered are the wrong ones. He thinks Winchester parts have been bought up, creating a shortage and raising prices. I finally asked him to assemble it and let me have the rifle back.

Does he need a long vacation, or is there some truth to this?
Last edited by MacEntyre on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I haven't had any problems with ordering parts from Winchester. :?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

MacEntyre,

YES, you need a new gunsmith. Go and get your rifle, tell him he's had all the time he's gonna get.

ALL you need is for a gunsmith to weld up, or peen the cartridge stop on the top front of the link then reshape it.
Look at part #33 in this pic. That is the link. At the very forward top end, just in front of the carrier you can see the little pointed cartridge stop. This is the part that causes under the carrier jams. Worn, chipped, or broken off, if you can't find a new link, it can be repaired.
Repeat, no new parts are needed, the old part can be repaired.

Been there, done that. (Both finding a new gunsmith and having the cartridge stop fixed.)

As for finding parts, most gunsmiths have a limited number of parts sources and are too stubborn to take the time to look.

Joe
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I would change too. I had similar problem with one of my rifles. I am not a smith by any means, but after studying it a bit, I brazed on a little bronze and reshaped, works fine now. Same problem in every trade, everybody is a parts changer. Sometimes we can make a better mousetrap. Just my .02 Canadian same as .02 US now that we are at par now, first time in 30 years.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

What cartridge is the gun? I have several lever links, and a couple are caliber specific. If I have one that matches your caliber, I'll mail you mine and you can take them to anybody handy with a welder and a grinder. When you're done with mine, send it back.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

J Miller wrote:Repeat, no new parts are needed, the old part can be repaired.
Thanks, Mr. Miller! I will use your diagram and Junior's instructions to remove the link and get it to someone competent.
Tycer wrote:What cartridge is the gun?
It's a 30-30.
Tycer wrote:If I have one that matches your caliber, I'll mail you mine...
Most kind of you to offer, Tycer! Thanks!

PM sent.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

By "reshape", I'm sure the fellas really mean for you to shape it to the original shape, but so it sticks up a little higher and "stops" the next cartridge in the mag.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Got it, Pete! Thanks!

I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place... just ordered the Brownells bit kit for the 94 top eject. I'll take the link out and find someone who understands how to build up the cartridge stop, using Tycer's good link as a guide.

I think my poor gunsmith is cracking up... he got it apart and back together several times. He says he never got it to jam under the carrier. I got it home today, and it jammed the first time I tried it.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

It probably has something to do with how fast you cycle the action. My 356bb would only jam if Iycled it slowly. My circa 49 mod 94 has no problems no matter what the speed I cycle it. Not a hard fix with a little patience.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

iceman,
No matter how fast or how slow you clcyle the action a round should never pop out under the carrier. If it does there is something wrong.
It could be a worn or damaged cartridge stop, or several tolerances that add up to a bad fit. That is why the Pre-64s rarely have this problem. They were better fitted.
But it can be repaired and that's what a lot of parts swappers ..... 'er wanna be gun smiths don't realize.
By "reshape", I'm sure the fellas really mean for you to shape it to the original shape, but so it sticks up a little higher and "stops" the next cartridge in the mag.
Pete, that's correct, that's exactly what I mean.

Joe
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Part sent. Probably be there Wed.

Good luck.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Jmiller. I agree with you, but I was trying to explain why his smith couldn't get it to jam but he could do it on the first try. I had that issue, as I said and by playing around a bit everything is OK now. No argument about parts swappers from me. Have a good one.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

iceman,

OK, that sounds reasonable.

Joe
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Got the old rattler disassembled, and compared the cartridge stop to Tycer's. It is missing just a small bit of material at the tip. Shouldn't be difficult to fix.