Bullet failure

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Bullet failure

Post by eric65 »

Today I had a rare opportunity to shoot asick racoon at the apt complex where I work. I shot him with a .357 cal Rossi M92, I was using a handloaded 125 gr speer hollowpoint over 17 gr of 2400. As has happened in the past, the bullet failed to expand. Does anyone have a similar story with these bullets?
JimT
Shootist

Re: Bullet failure

Post by JimT »

Did it kill him or did it just bounce off?
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

He died, but the result was not as spectaculer as I have experienced in the past! :twisted: This is the second failure I have seen with these bullets :x
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The coon is dead, unless you had to whack him in the head with a club to finish him off , I'm not quite seeing the bullet failure?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

eric,

I used that load from my Marlin 1894 to explode various things. However I used the scalloped Remington SJHP. When it hit anything with lots of water in it the results was just explosive. I never did try any other brands.
Glad the coon was dispatched, maybe trying a different bullet would give you the results you're looking for.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

If it killed the intended, then I wouldn't call it a 'failure'. Thousands of game animals are taken with non-expanding bullets. No matter whether the bullet expands or not, proper shot placement works.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

Funny side note; one of the cleaning ladies told me later that she pushed the disable button on her car alarm at the same moment I pulled the trigger! I would have loved to have seen the look on her face.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

J Miller wrote:eric,

I used that load from my Marlin 1894 to explode various things. However I used the scalloped Remington SJHP. When it hit anything with lots of water in it the results was just explosive. I never did try any other brands.
Glad the coon was dispatched, maybe trying a different bullet would give you the results you're looking for.

Joe
I have user Hornady slugs with similar results, that is why I was curious
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

JimT wrote:Did it kill him or did it just bounce off?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

eric65 wrote:Funny side note; one of the cleaning ladies told me later that she pushed the disable button on her car alarm at the same moment I pulled the trigger! I would have loved to have seen the look on her face.
That's funny!
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

I thought it was pretty good and so did the rest of the staff. :lol:
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

JimT wrote:If it killed the intended, then I wouldn't call it a 'failure'. Thousands of game animals are taken with non-expanding bullets. No matter whether the bullet expands or not, proper shot placement works.
I agree with you Jim, but I use hollow points on varments purely for visual effects :twisted:Also, I dont get the thrashing and kicking that I get with soft points. I do admit to having A bit of A heart on me. :oops:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

eric65 wrote:
JimT wrote:If it killed the intended, then I wouldn't call it a 'failure'. Thousands of game animals are taken with non-expanding bullets. No matter whether the bullet expands or not, proper shot placement works.
I agree with you Jim, but I use hollow points on varments purely for visual effects :twisted:Also, I dont get the thrashing and kicking that I get with soft points. I do admit to having A bit of A heart on me. :oops:
I have no problem with having a heart Eric. The problem is that hollow points do not always act the same way in living tissue. Also, some critters just take "more killing" than others. I have seen explosive expansion and yet the animal did not drop immediately. You may have a bullet that works like a lightning bolt .. and then there is that one occasion.

There are too many variables in living breathing creatures for there to be a perfect bullet that works the same all the time.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

eric65 wrote:He died, but the result was not as spectaculer as I have experienced in the past! :twisted: This is the second failure I have seen with these bullets :x
So what do you do? Just go around killing animals hoping for spectacular results?

The coon's dead. End of story.
ED
Yer never too old
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

Modoc ED wrote:
eric65 wrote:He died, but the result was not as spectaculer as I have experienced in the past! :twisted: This is the second failure I have seen with these bullets :x
So what do you do? Just go around killing animals hoping for spectacular results?

The coon's dead. End of story.
That's not even worthy of A reply if you want to pick a fight, have at it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

eric65 wrote:Funny side note; one of the cleaning ladies told me later that she pushed the disable button on her car alarm at the same moment I pulled the trigger! I would have loved to have seen the look on her face.
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

On Monday we were talking about deer and how fast they succumb to various loads. The conversation was initiated by a customer who wanted to know the "killing power" of the 130 gr. vs 150 gr. .270 Winchester loads... Anyway, several of the "stool sitters" noted that they had seen deer with severe wounds to include all their guts hanging out go for many yards.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Eric, I think I understand were your coming from. But I don't know that a coon will offer enough mass, or what ever it may be called, to cause reliable expansion with any bullet from a 357 Mag. Now, a 22-250 at close range is a different story. I once shot a crow at about 40 yards with my 22-250 and it rained crow for five minutes. Maybe some 110gr bullets may work better.
Ricky

DWWC
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hobie wrote:On Monday we were talking about deer and how fast they succumb to various loads. The conversation was initiated by a customer who wanted to know the "killing power" of the 130 gr. vs 150 gr. .270 Winchester loads... Anyway, several of the "stool sitters" noted that they had seen deer with severe wounds to include all their guts hanging out go for many yards.
When the .270 Winchester is mentioned the first thing that comes
to my mind is the king of the .270 Win. Mr. Jack O'Conner. :wink:

http://www.jack-oconnor.org/about/aboutJack.htm

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/ ... nors+Rifle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If you were expecting explosive results at "walk up and poke it" range then you will be sadly dissapointed.

There isn't enough critter there to reliably expand that bullet or most bullets beyond a .22 LR.
As been said. Not enough mass to expand a large cal. bullet at velocity.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Hobie wrote: , several of the "stool sitters" noted that they had seen deer with severe wounds to include all their guts hanging out go for many yards.
There is something to be said for the well-placed shot.. "guts hanging out" is not a well-placed shot. :shock: Learn to shoot and then worry about the bullet weight. I guarantee not one animal hit properly can tell the difference, and you will not get any complaints. :D
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I hear where you are coming from Eric. The bullet "failed" to expand! Everyone happy now?

Seems like a weird issue to me. First, coon are pretty dense critters for their size. Second, you were able to recover the bullet which means you didn't get a pass thru? Odd right there, You'd think that a .357 bullet from a rifle would pass right on thru a coon. Even more so on a bullet that didn't expand.

LK
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The bullet didn't fail because the coon is dead but I understand what you mean.
And there is a safety aspect to a bullet that expands well, in that it won't over penetrate and ricochet as badly.
As someone already said, maybe coons aren't big enough for the 125 to expand in. Have you tried a 110 gr gold dot or one of the other light bullets designed for short barrel revolvers? In one of the levergun article, and I don't remember which one, the writer says that the 110gr has a spectacular explosive effect on varmints out to 100yds when driven hard.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I see your point and so do the others - they just decided to go the other way on this.

I see some of Jack's books are pricey now. I have The Last Book and it is an interesting read.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Hobbie, stool setters are makin the rounds now that season is in, no..
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Hollowpoint noses will fold on a glancing bone shot, even a small bone. Once the nose folds, expansion ends.

Think about that with your self defense loads. It's why I use Winchester white box flat points in my 380.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

It sounds pretty strange to me. I think a raccoon has enough mass to provide the resistance needed to expand that bullet. If not, then it certainly doesn't have enough mass to prevent a pass through. And if it doesn't expand and/or pass through a coon, then I certainly wouldn't trust it to stop a crack addict. :?

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I would think most crack heads are a little thicker and more dense than your average raccoon.

That bullet wasn't designed as a small game/ varmint round.

If you want spectacular explosive results try a 50 or 55 gr jsp or spitzer
at 3000 fps.

jb

colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Wouldn't aw 22rf been enough??
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

2ndovc wrote:I would think most crack heads are a little thicker and more dense than your average raccoon.

at 3000 fps.

jb
But expansion and penetration tend to oppose one another. A bullet either expands or it penetrates or a reasonable combination of both. For a bullet to neither expand nor penetrate (a reasonable distance), that just defies physics. It must have keyholed.

bogie
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Bogie, I believe Eric was basing the fact that it didn't expand on the exit wound, or the bullet was recovered from the ground or something else.
Ricky

DWWC
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bogie35 wrote:
2ndovc wrote:I would think most crack heads are a little thicker and more dense than your average raccoon.

at 3000 fps.

jb
But expansion and penetration tend to oppose one another. A bullet either expands or it penetrates or a reasonable combination of both. For a bullet to neither expand nor penetrate (a reasonable distance), that just defies physics. It must have keyholed.

bogie

I don't remember reading that the bullet failed to penetrate the animal.

That would constitute more than a bullet failure. Would it not?

The point is: The bullet passed through the animal before it encountered enough resistance to make the bullet
expand.

jb

eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

I now realise that I did not provide enough info. Bullet passed completely through, exit hole too small for expansion to have ocured. I have used this same load for years with EXPLOSIVE results, as for the particular bullet, these were some that I have never tried before, I have only used these twice on varments with the same basic result both times. This shot was taken at about 25 feet due to the critter being obviously sick, 357 was used because that was what I carry with me in my vehicle. :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

RKrodle wrote:Eric, I think I understand were your coming from. But I don't know that a coon will offer enough mass, or what ever it may be called, to cause reliable expansion with any bullet from a 357 Mag. Now, a 22-250 at close range is a different story. I once shot a crow at about 40 yards with my 22-250 and it rained crow for five minutes. Maybe some 110gr bullets may work better.
That's exactly my thoughts on it.

The 110 & 125 gr JHP's in .357 are pretty much designed for one-shot stopping of humans, which are a much thicker target than a raccoon.

Perhaps putting one out at 4,000 fps or so from a .358 BOSS Magnum (225 gr Nosler's do 3700 fps) would be closer to the .22-250 in effect :twisted: - that is, if the 250,000 RPM's didn't explode it upon muzzle exit...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

AJMD429 wrote:
RKrodle wrote:Eric, I think I understand were your coming from. But I don't know that a coon will offer enough mass, or what ever it may be called, to cause reliable expansion with any bullet from a 357 Mag. Now, a 22-250 at close range is a different story. I once shot a crow at about 40 yards with my 22-250 and it rained crow for five minutes. Maybe some 110gr bullets may work better.

The 110 & 125 gr JHP's in .357 are pretty much designed for one-shot stopping of humans, which are a much thicker target than a raccoon.

Perhaps putting one out at 4,000 fps or so from a .358 BOSS Magnum (225 gr Nosler's do 3700 fps) would be closer to the .22-250 in effect :twisted: - that is, if the 250,000 RPM's didn't explode it upon muzzle exit...
You kinda worry me sometimes doc :shock: :lol: 8)
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

RKrodle wrote:Bogie, I believe Eric was basing the fact that it didn't expand on the exit wound, or the bullet was recovered from the ground or something else.
You're right. :oops:
I assumed, and that's never good! :D

bogie
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

AJMD429 wrote:

250000, sounds like a buss saw.. one turn in aw human body, maybe...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jnyork wrote:
Hobie wrote: , several of the "stool sitters" noted that they had seen deer with severe wounds to include all their guts hanging out go for many yards.
There is something to be said for the well-placed shot.. "guts hanging out" is not a well-placed shot. :shock: Learn to shoot and then worry about the bullet weight. I guarantee not one animal hit properly can tell the difference, and you will not get any complaints. :D
I am reporting what was said and can't speak to number of shots, cartridges used, etc.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

"It depends on what the definition of is is" (Clinton).

It ain't really "failure" because it killed the animal.

It is really "failure" because it failed to open within the advertised velocity range.

eric65, if you want to make a point or observation among all the lawyers on this site you better be detailed, specific, and ready to back it up with empirical data. If you don't you will be swatted down like a dirty pesky fly ruining their nap.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Idiot wrote:"It depends on what the definition of is is" (Clinton).

It is really "failure" because it failed to open within the advertised velocity range.

eric65, if you want to make a point or observation among all the lawyers on this site you better be detailed, specific, and ready to back it up with empirical data. If you don't you will be swatted down like a dirty pesky fly ruining their nap.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

RKrodle & 2ndovc have pretty much nailed it down. Not enough mass/density in a 'coon to really get that bullet to expand.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Now I'm no expert with pistol cartridges and their performance but I do remember reading,hearing that due to their relative slower speeds pistol type hollow points can get them selves plugged and turn them selves into solid slugs. I can accept this readily and have seen it in 22 ammo at times.

The only experiance I ever saw shooting and did with a Win 94 357 shooting fox and rabbits was that it was an accurate "slugger" and as I was familiar with zapping critters with 22 center fire regular in no way would I term the 357 as an explosive round. It simply needed to be in the zone and they (the critters) won't go far,,,,fine :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

colo native wrote:Hobbie, stool setters are makin the rounds now that season is in, no..
They sure are! :lol:

I tried to get out today but am now home, thoroughly soaked. I'm to the point where it is supposed to be fun and I've got nothing to prove.
Sincerely,

Hobie

eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

JimT wrote:
Idiot wrote:"It depends on what the definition of is is" (Clinton).

Ok, i'm going to take my ball and go home now. :lol: :cry: