Trade Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Trade Question

Post by Bob Winchester »

I'm new and getting in to the Winchesters. So here was the deal, I traded the bubba SKS, a new in the box AMD-65 and $200 bucks for the 1965 Model 94 (30WCF) and 1873 Winchester. The model 1873 was made in 1893. So far as I tell the rear sight is broken but otherwise all orginal wood and everything else. It's in 44-40. The bore is dark but the rifling is fine. I know I probably got killed but always wanted an old winchester. Basically the sks and 94 were a wash I guess. I just hope I didn't pay too much for the 1873.

So, how bad did I get stuck? Think it's a break even deal or a bad lesson learned?

Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Trade Question

Post by Thunder50 »

I think you did just fine.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome, looks like you got to fine Winchesters.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

For what it's worth I think you did just fine :mrgreen:
Welcome aboard
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IMB, you came out WAY on top! Ditchin' a foreign rattler for some good, solid American Steel and Wood is never a bad thing! OK, the 94's somewhat of a rattler... but, the GOOD kind!

Ooops, missed that was your first post. Image and Welcome to the Forum. Excellent first post... no need for the rminder about PICTURES!!!! Image
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Fine first Winchesters...welcome to the Forum!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Thanks for all the welcomes.
It all started with a War years '94 in .32 win spcl. Then I got a 1937 model 64 in .32 Win spcl.
Now I just can't seem to stop!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Welcome to the forum. First post with Pictures is a great way to start!

Alan Wood
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have owned prob. 30 or more AK and SKS style rifles. Trust me......the ones you gave up are a dime a dozen and you did just fine on the trade.

Welcome to the site.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Don't know what happened to My original Welcome but Welcome. U done good in My books. Am holding out for a 73. I have 2 SKSs, maybe I can find someone to trade me a 73. already have a 94/30-30 in 65 vintage.
Again Welcome
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Bob Winchester wrote:Thanks for all the welcomes.
It all started with a War years '94 in .32 win spcl. Then I got a 1937 model 64 in .32 Win spcl.
Now I just can't seem to stop!
Welcome. You won't feel bad when you find out how many .30-30s Griff has...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:You won't feel bad when you find out how many .30-30s Griff has...
Gee Hobie, you make me sound like some kind of "hoarder"!!! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

What is the best way to clean these old rifles up? It's got a hundred years of gunk on it. I was thinking of spraying it down in Kroil or liquid wrench letting it sit a day or two and hitting it very lightly with some 0000 steel wool. That's my standard procedure for older military surplus with rust anyway.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bob Winchester wrote:What is the best way to clean these old rifles up? It's got a hundred years of gunk on it. I was thinking of spraying it down in Kroil or liquid wrench letting it sit a day or two and hitting it very lightly with some 0000 steel wool. That's my standard procedure for older military surplus with rust anyway.
Well, I'm certainly no expert on antique gun values, but that 1873 isn't an old milsurp, and doing something like that might just wreck the value of a potentially valuable gun.

If it is truly all original, then I'd spend the $35 (or whatever) to get it Papered by Cody before doing anything to it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

What is papered by Cody?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

PM with serial number of your '73 and I will get you the info from Cody. IMO, you came out considerably on top of that deal. SKSs are a dime a dozen, Winchesters are far from that. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

PM sent.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bob Winchester wrote:What is papered by Cody?
The Buffalo Bill Cody Firearms Museum has historical records for almost all winchester rifles produced up through a certain year/serial number.

http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/records/

http://www.bbhc.org/sites/1/dynamic/dow ... me_153.pdf

You can "paper" your winchester to see if it is still in the condition it came from the factory (no major mods - or custom shop original mods).
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

I would say you definitely came out ahead on that deal! The last SKS I bought was $50.00, but I know a young man that recently paid $450 for one that had some fancy OD tapco furniture. I told him he'd been had. You did fine...
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think you came out on top.
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Welcome Bob and yes, you really did well. I would listen to the great advice offered.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bob Winchester wrote:What is the best way to clean these old rifles up? It's got a hundred years of gunk on it. I was thinking of spraying it down in Kroil or liquid wrench letting it sit a day or two and hitting it very lightly with some 0000 steel wool. That's my standard procedure for older military surplus with rust anyway.
NO steelwool, depending on how heavy the rust is, you might get by with just copper wool. That would minimize any damage to any remaining finish. The picture is a little dark, so not much detail is visible. Is it rust, or just light rust with dirt soaked oil? If it's heavily rusted, then a more agressive cleaning is warranted, but that also entails a probable refinish. In that case, your steel wool is the better choice.

If it were mine, I'd want to see the innards before I decided on a plan of action. If they are clean of rust and fully functional, with no parts needing replacement, I'd probably just do the minimal amount of work needed to clean up the outside, leaving some original finish and have a good shooter.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

kimwcook wrote:I think you came out on top.
x2 --- if someone offered me an 1873 for an AK variant and 200 bucks, my leather would have cleared denim pretty darn fast (took out my wallet)

I think thats an awesome deal ---- agree with getting it appraised before cleaning it up too much

The model 94 looks pretty sharp too :D
----- Doug
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Does papering add value to the rifle?
What is the best way to clean it up some?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I like CLP for things like that. It seems to pick up dirt, soften rust and run off carrying that stuff with it, while not subjecting the metal to de-oiling and flash rusting. I don't like any type of degreasing cleaners for this type of situation.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bob Winchester wrote:Does papering add value to the rifle?
What is the best way to clean it up some?
It doesn't "add" value so much as help determine if it IS valuable (beyond its inherent old/cool factor).

For instance, you might find out that it was one of 4 rifles shipped to a specific outpost in the west, meaning it could have only been delivered to one or two historically important people living there at the time. Not likely, but possible.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[It all started with a War years '94 in .32 win spcl. Then I got a 1937 model 64 in .32 Win spcl. Now I just can't seem to stop!]

Yep - Those are the symptoms indicative of pending Advanced Winchesteritis.............. :mrgreen:

My advice would be to take two (2) Marlin & one (1) Browning (BLR) leverguns this weekend, and call us on Monday. :P :P :P

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Bob Winchester wrote:I'm new and getting in to the Winchesters. So here was the deal, I traded the bubba SKS, a new in the box AMD-65 and $200 bucks for the 1965 Model 94 (30WCF) and 1873 Winchester. So, how bad did I get stuck? Think it's a break even deal or a bad lesson learned?

I think you made a heck of a deal. There is a guy on the KSCCW (Kansas Concealed Carry forum) that is trying to sell a AMD-65 for $350 FTF and hasn't had any offers at that price. So for $200 cash + maybe $200 for the bubba'd SKS + $350 to $450 for the AMD; $750 to $850 +/- total for the two Winchesters, I think that you are a pretty good horse trader!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Pete44ru wrote:[It all started with a War years '94 in .32 win spcl. Then I got a 1937 model 64 in .32 Win spcl. Now I just can't seem to stop!]

Yep - Those are the symptoms indicative of pending Advanced Winchesteritis.............. :mrgreen:

My advice would be to take two (2) Marlin & one (1) Browning (BLR) leverguns this weekend, and call us on Monday. :p :P :P

I'm clean out of Marlins, but I do have a BLR! :lol:
Can't do any shooting today, were getting covering of white stuff here in the Hoosier state.
I appreciate the advice and knowledge thrown my way. After I made the trade I was really apprehensive. I just kinda jumped at it without research because I always wanted an older Winchester. Usually I hem-haw until it’s too late. Normally things that go in the safe just kinda get stuck there. I’ve only sold two guns ever before this. A loricin .32……..nuff said. And a Semi Thompson that was slightly drilled off center.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

I've been recommended a good smith. He wants $110 to clean it up and tell me if it is a safe gun. Does that sound reasonable or should I break out the CLP and do it myself??
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If He does a thorough job (ie) take it apart and clean everything including under the wood I would say that is fair. But if He is just going to clean the outside and the bore I think that would be a bit much. Ask Him what U get for $110
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif