Gentlemen

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Gentlemen

Post by jeepnik »

Something I've noticed. On this forum, and a few others that deal with leverguns, and sixguns, folks often refer to others as "gentlemen". I haven't noticed that same sort of thing at Glock Talk or AR15.com. I wonder whether it is the general age of the folks here, or just the way we were brought up. Now I'm not bad mouthing the folks on the other forums, but there just seems to be more "respect" of one another on this and the other types of forums mentioned. Fould language is, also, about nonexistant in these parts. Nice to know the little ones can read it without fearing what they will read.

Let me just say, Thank You Gentlemen. It's a pleasure to converse with you. Okay, I forgot the ladies. That was my mistake. So please members of the fairer sex, please don't take me to task.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gentlemen

Post by Tycer »

45, sir.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yo dawg. 'Sup wit dat?

Homey ain't "gentle" nuthin. :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: If I'm not polite, Hobie yells at me :cry:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

BlaineG wrote::oops: If I'm not polite, Hobie yells at me :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a few rough edges but, when in Rome....
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I haven't noticed that.

I see a tendency toward foul language and rude personal attacks any time an opinion strays from what might be regarded as "The Party Line."

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

FWiedner wrote:I haven't noticed that.

I see a tendency toward foul language and rude personal attacks any time an opinion strays from what might be regarded as "The Party Line."

You know, it happens, but, sometimes your "opinnion" appears to be very deliberately meant to cause such a reaction.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Hagler wrote:

You know, it happens, but, sometimes your "opinnion" appears to be very deliberately meant to cause such a reaction.

Shawn
+1

I is foty-fo', gonna be foty-fi' soon.

Q
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Heck, I'm just a pup of 38. I think the tone here has more to do with the quality of the membership rather than age.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'll tell you exactly what it is. The AR forums are a bunch of twenty and thirty somethings and they have not yet learned to be nice. We are a bunch of "middle aged and older dudes" who were taught a little respect from our parents, (yea, most of us had two parents back then) who were from the greatest generation.

Besides, only us older dudes can afford this neat levergun stuff--when your young, you have to be happy with one AR as your total arsenal :D ----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Griff sends me to my room, and never tells me I can come out!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sixgun +1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sixgun, I agree and I'll add that there was usually a "whuppen" a coming if you did dis someone and Dad found out.

Kids anymore won't even give up their seats to an elder when there's none left. And, I mean the elder is visually showing signs of stress and on the verge of falling over.
Old Law Dawg
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Hagler wrote:

Shawn

I often find that I am treated with the same amount of respect that I give. When I act as a gentleman I am treated a such but when I go looking to provoke I am treated accordingly.

I thank you Gentlemen for tolerating me.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

hmmm I'm not sure the reason, sixgun may be on to something, but I am glad that the cursing and personal attacks are a min though we sometimes forget the rules. I consider this home, and those that visit here friends, family, or visitors.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bearhands »

I belong to several gun/hunting forums...... and this one is the standout King of them all..... nice folks, without agendas, who're looking to help others share the comraderie of gun ownership..... thats why I visit it daily. That being said, I'd like to thank the members here for making it "a nice place to land"
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

YEP.....
WE GOT A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS HERE!
WE NOT ONLY HOLD ONTO OUR OLD WINCHESTER AND MARLINS
BUT WE HELD ONTO OUR OLD VALUES TOO!
ALTHOUGH WE DO GET OUT OF HAND EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE
JUST FOR FUN!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we are a bunch (herd,flock?) of dinosaurs on this forum.
Polite dinosaurs, though.

I'm only 47, but I've got to say I'm absolutely appalled at how some adults and
children conduct themselves. My sons are always polite to adults. I'll even strongly
suggest to the older one to help older folks with their groceries when we're at the corner
store. He does - and cheerfully! The older folks are, without exception, thrilled
with the help from a polite young fella. This sort of behavior doesn't go unnoticed
in the community, either.

My little one is quite a handful, but he's got "please" and "thank you" down pretty
well.

I've made it a real point to stress how important it is to get along with others - not to
be a doormat, but to have good manners. The older one is now teaching the younger.

I know, this is SOP with folks on this forum, but to a lot of people it's unusual.

-Stretch
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sixgun wrote:I'll tell you exactly what it is. The AR forums are a bunch of twenty and thirty somethings and they have not yet learned to be nice. We are a bunch of "middle aged and older dudes" who were taught a little respect from our parents, (yea, most of us had two parents back then) who were from the greatest generation.

Besides, only us older dudes can afford this neat levergun stuff--when your young, you have to be happy with one AR as your total arsenal :D ----------Sixgun
Hey wait a minute I am a 30 something ( just turned 34 on the 2nd of this month). But I will agree with the fact that you old buggers tend to have more funds for levers then me :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

After all,we ARE lever gunners.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JReed wrote:Hey wait a minute I am a 30 something ( just turned 34 on the 2nd of this month).
You did NOT have to tell me that....

At 40+ I was just reminded (again) by the For Profit Gooberment Agency "Sallie Mae" (Freddie Mac & Fannie Mae's even more evil sister) how much I can't afford to pay for the Degree no one will let me use.

I think I'll just go shrivel up and expire.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
drboomboom
Levergunner

Post by drboomboom »

Well, even at 57 years of age, if I'm ever impolite I have to cringe...I'm waiting for Grandma to give me a swat with the stick. God bless her, I burned it up in the stove once and she just went out and got a bigger stick. Too many kids nowdays need bigger sticks.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

To me it just seem "Old School" American to be polite. And That is why I come here more than there. Though I love Lever guns I also love EBR's but you good folks are the ones I can relate with most. Every once in a while some Liberal posing as a Libertarian posing as a gun owner tries to stir things up but by and large this is the place to be :D
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sixgun wrote:I'll tell you exactly what it is. The AR forums are a bunch of twenty and thirty somethings and they have not yet learned to be nice. We are a bunch of "middle aged and older dudes" who were taught a little respect from our parents, (yea, most of us had two parents back then) who were from the greatest generation.

Sage words once again :D

But you're right. Not long ago I went on an FN FAL sight to try to find out what was wrong w/ my rifle. Never owning one before and they are quite different birds I couldn't figure out why my rifle suddenly wuldn't feed. After several posts calling me an idiot one fellow came along and told me I had the gas plug upside down in the grenade launch position.

made the change and never went back on.
Sold the rifle for a tidy sum and bought another Winchester :)

The people that hang out here are special. Can't explain it. That's just the way it is.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2ndovc wrote:...The people that hang out here are special. Can't explain it. That's just the way it is.
Word up yo.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

My theory to why people on here are more polite is that its not entirely the age of the members but the quality of the weapons we collect and love. After all, I am not even 30 yet but I try to be polite to a fault. Lever guns have a somewhat romantic following through history as a weapon that won the west. I find them to be attractive not only in design and usefulness but that most of them have a fine walnut stock that is not found on an AR15. There is a simplicity there with how a levergun functions that is historical that is not commonly found with other weapons. Maybe the polite factor has something to do with a historical firearm.

OK, I getting off my soapbox now and throwing away my dirty lever gun magazines :oops:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

morgan in nm wrote:...OK, I getting off my soapbox now and throwing away my dirty lever gun magazines :oops:
Yet somehow you always end up with the centerfold pinned up to your gunsafe...

What is it this month... an untouched 3 digit NIB 1873 with a NIB box of original factory ammo? :twisted: :lol:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Listen up "Ladies and Germs," I mean Gentlemen...(Just Kidding)

I was raised by a WW2, Korea, and Vietnam... Navy Senior Chief E-8...he taught me how to drink, cuss, fight, and chase women...also, how to shoot and hunt. I joined the Marines when I was 17 again'st his advice and wisdom :) What did he know? :D

I expanded on his lessons even more when I joined the Marines at 17... :) They taught me how to be a gentleman plus lots more 8)

My folks taught to be respectful of others, watch my language, to keep my cool...watch my booze intake, etc...I didn't always listen... :roll: Sometimes still don't, but I try...

My Mother taught me to be a Gentlemen, especially around her....or else!

:) Yea, I'm heading into my late Fifties now....
Last edited by Jarhead on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

2ndovc wrote:Not long ago I went on an FN FAL sight to try to find out what was wrong w/ my rifle.....After several posts calling me an idiot one fellow came along and told me I had the gas plug upside down in the grenade launch position. jb 8)
I used to be real into a truck forum whose base was very much younger, probably 16-30yrs, and it is like nite/day to compare them with this crowd.
Sixgun wrote:Besides, only us older dudes can afford this neat levergun stuff--when your young, you have to be happy with one AR as your total arsenal :D ----------Sixgun
Mine combined make up an AR's value, does that count? :lol: I could get a decent AR for just these two, but that will never happen while I am still warm to the touch.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Stan in SC wrote:After all,we ARE lever gunners.

+1
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JReed wrote:
Hey wait a minute I am a 30 something ( just turned 34 on the 2nd of this month). But I will agree with the fact that you old buggers tend to have more funds for levers then me :D
Jerry, Your one of the rare youngsters who's parents did a great job raising. In my time, it was the norm to be respectful---today its not. My son is a year older than you and yes, I bless his parents :D He's a fine young man.
And as far as the bucks are concerned, well, we kicked our kids out so we could have more (not much more) for our Winchesters!----Sixgun
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

="Old Ironsights"
Word up yo.
OI--Ain't that Bro? :D :D :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mine combined make up an AR's value, does that count? :lol: I could get a decent AR for just.

Andrew--Yep, it counts but don't do it. One levergun is worth 20 Ar's in the bush. Does that make sense? :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun wrote:
="Old Ironsights"
Word up yo.
Sho 'nuff.

Its' da shizzle. Layin the clak-latch from the rod at the range. No blak gats for dis homey. We's chillin with tha Duke. 8)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I don't really understand the question, but I'm 63, and I saw the word "Gentlemen" on the computer, and it is about time for me to make one of my trips to that room - so I clicked on it.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
="Old Ironsights"
Word up yo.
Sho 'nuff.

Its' da shizzle. Layin the clak-latch from the rod at the range. No blak gats for dis homey. We's chillin with tha Duke. 8)
Lock and Load... 8) Gentlemen... :)
Semper Fi
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OI--Your good with the ebonics! :D

Jarhead--I'm ready :D
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Sixgun wrote:

OI--Your good with the ebonics! :D

Jarhead--I'm ready :D
Gentlemen,

OI...You didn't get your degree in Ebonics did you? Just Kiddin'...Man your good! You might get shot in the dark :lol:

Sixgun- Praise the Lord and please pass me some AMMO! 8)
Semper Fi
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For the most part all the participants here are a group of fine Christina gentlemen and FOR THE MOST PART, they act accordingly.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:For the most part all the participants here are a group of fine Christina gentlemen and FOR THE MOST PART, they act accordingly.
Fie on thee! I shall ever be a rabble-rousing racontuer! Never a Gentleman! :mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I don't understand this jive?
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Grey Poupon? What does a brutha hafta do ta get some French's mustard 'round here?

:D :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Bearhands wrote:I belong to several gun/hunting forums...... and this one is the standout King of them all..... nice folks, without agendas, who're looking to help others share the comraderie of gun ownership..... thats why I visit it daily. That being said, I'd like to thank the members here for making it "a nice place to land"

+1 at 52
It is not the critic who counts
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Well, even at 57 years of age, if I'm ever impolite I have to cringe...I'm waiting for Grandma to give me a swat with the stick. God bless her, I burned it up in the stove once and she just went out and got a bigger stick. Too many kids nowdays need bigger sticks.
More than the stick, they need someone who's willing to swing it AND knows why it's needed.

In a Zen dojo, they use a stick called the kyusaku to keep the students awake and focused on their meditation. It is considered an aid, and the students are grateful for its "application" as it helps them to work hard to reach enlightenment.

Using the media, liberals have brainwashed the masses into believing that all forms of discipline are brutish and wrong.

They believe that the Judeo/Christian laws and morals that this country was founded upon are too restrictive, and that us old-fashioned types have no right to impose our beliefs on anyone, especially youth. So they are allowed to run amuck (definition: frenzied as if possessed by a demon), and the left-wing hollywood liberals profit greatly from it. They pat themselves on the back, assuring each other that they are promoting freedom of expression.

It's a sickness of the soul, one that most of the membership here recognizes and stands staunchly against.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mescalero1 wrote:Griff sends me to my room, and never tells me I can come out!
You seem to have snuck out and have been minding your manners, so further comment might have only served to point up your transgression! :D :D

In general, I view the many christian gentlemen, including some pastors and LEOs, who have dealt with the worst of society, and have their morals and integrity intact find that talking at the level of the other party in the conversation is a habit that often leaves both parties in good stead. That general, well-behaved demeanor rubs off on the rest of the membership; the ocassional lapse by an individual is often taken up via PM or polite admonishment and in my mind is the prefered way to handle the rare incident; dropping to the level of the offender does no one any good.

Plus, I would suspect that most men on this forum still hold open doors for ladies and the elderly, get thanked for same and see no reason to change or modify their behavior for the uncouth.

What Sixgun and Morgan in NM mentioned are also large parts of the character of the forum.

OI, being the lone exception! :P :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bearhands »

"the left-wing hollywood liberals profit greatly from it. They pat themselves on the back, assuring each other that they are promoting freedom of expression.

It's a sickness of the soul, one that most of the membership here recognizes and stands staunchly against."

I am grateful for it (the staunchly against part)
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think this is the sort of group where you get back what you put in. Few are looking to be discourteous, but all will send someone to the shed when it's necessary.

I've had the opportunity to meet (and hunt/shoot with) several members and they've been good experiences. At our Levergunner's dinner the conversation went on for two hours nonstop.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

jeepnik wrote:Something I've noticed. On this forum, and a few others that deal with leverguns, and sixguns, folks often refer to others as "gentlemen". I haven't noticed that same sort of thing at Glock Talk or AR15.com. I wonder whether it is the general age of the folks here, or just the way we were brought up. Now I'm not bad mouthing the folks on the other forums, but there just seems to be more "respect" of one another on this and the other types of forums mentioned. Fould language is, also, about nonexistant in these parts. Nice to know the little ones can read it without fearing what they will read.

Let me just say, Thank You Gentlemen. It's a pleasure to converse with you. Okay, I forgot the ladies. That was my mistake. So please members of the fairer sex, please don't take me to task.
I haven't read all the posts in this thread so I'm probably repeating things that have already been said, but I'll have at it anyway.

There are two major reasons for the courtsey and gentility of this site:

1 - Paco Kelly is one of Nature's Gentlemen and behaving in less than a gentlemanly fashion in his parlor would be a height of rudeness that few of us would attempt.

2 - Lots of folks on this sight have known and respected each other for going on 15 years. We might fuss and fight like any other family, but there is a sense of family that causes us to treat our old friends and acquaintances with the respect they've earned.

Of somewhat less importance is the act that as you've guessed, we tend to be older, and/or more conservatively reared than many of the Rambo wanna-bes of the flatgun forums. Lots of the members here have seen the elephant and not only know the havoc of combat, but know how to come out alive and uninjured. We also have some darned good moderators who simply won't tolerate excessively rude behavior.

And finally, most of the folks who post here are gentlemen. They know how to behave in polite company, and this group is polite company. As Heinlein said: An armed Society is a Polite Society. And since this is definitely an armed society, it is polite.

Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wow, never expected this thing to go on for three pages. I just wanted to acknowlege the type of folks we have here. Makes one happy to be associated with this group.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Hey Griff, how many men do you see that take their hat off in an elevator? They just ain't raised that way now. Also how many days go by without a prayer request? That too shows the quality of the folks here.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15