Puma questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Puma questions

Post by Andrew »

I noticed when poking around at the different models that the .454 is only chambered in the carbines, not the rifles. Is this a ballistic problem for the .454 to have too long of a barrel or is it a "nobody wants one" thing that they don't even bother to produce them? I like the look of the 24" octagon barrels on the 92's and I don't know why they don't chamber them for the big .454 and .480 cartridges. The fact that they get that hideous rubber pad is a minor one that could be eleviated relatively easily, but, that barrel thing is a bit harder to take care of.

So suppose someone wanted a 24" octagon 92 in .454, could they rechamber a .45 model or is there a big difference in the action that helps with higher pressure? The way I see it, it might be easier to do it that way.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Puma questions

Post by Old Ironsights »

Probably a "nobody want's one" issue.

The .454 won't really gain much with an extra 4", and the .454 is really designed to be a short, handy, short-range .45-70 replacement.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Trust me, when you light off a 454 you will be glad that "hideous rubber pad" is there! :) I think O.I hit it on the head. Most buyers of the longer, octagonal, etc barrels with the traditional crescent butt plates seem to prefer the more traditional calibers.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

slimster wrote:Trust me, when you light off a 454 you will be glad that "hideous rubber pad" is there! :) I think O.I hit it on the head. Most buyers of the longer, octagonal, etc barrels with the traditional crescent butt plates seem to prefer the more traditional calibers.

Man that's for sure! I'd never say I was a recoil sensitive guy but when my .480 goes off I'm sure glad I've got that big old thick rubber pad. When I got my 480 it came two stocks: Kick-ezz padded and a steel crescent plate. About five rounds was all I could take with that steel plate.

When they go off you sure know it. I love the looks I get when I take it to the range :shock: :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

IIRC they were going to offer it in a 24" rifle version originally as well. They advertised one but I've never seen one or even heard of anybody else that has. As I wound up getting a SS 16" trapper you'd think I'd not be interested in a rifle version but you'd be wrong. I know it's ugly but they REALLY do need that pad.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Andrew, before I rechambered a 45, I believe I would think about getting another barrel of the profile I desired in 45 and having it reamed for the 454 and installed on original 454 frame. I'm not sure if there are any different heat treating or slight diminsional differences, but better to be safe with a 60,000 psi round. Also, the threaded mag tube mounting is a plus with the heavier recoiling cartridges.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I understand the mag tube is screwed into the frame and uses a different loading method. Read: Paco's Review of the .454 Puma in GunBlasts.com.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SoupOrMan
Levergunner

Post by SoupOrMan »

Huh. I must be recoil-sensitive. After about 50 to 60 rounds of Remington's .357 JSP through my Puma, I'm wondering why they ever went back to the steel buttplate. The first shot is bad enough, but the last shot stings pretty badly, too.
45Jack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45Jack »

I have a 24" octagon barrel 92 in .45 Colt.
Steel crescent butt plate. I can load .45's to a very uncomfortable level pretty easily.
They are still below many folks "max" loads.
Trapdoor loads out of a Marlin Guide Gun are more comfortable to shoot.
Maybe the crescent butt plate just doesn't fit me, or my arthritic old shoulders don't like it.
It's one of my favorite rifles to look at, but it will never be my favorite to shoot. At least not until I put an ugly rubber pad on it.
Jack
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

if they would offer all their models [cals] with 20"
octagon bbls and a recoil pad. yeah a short rifle.
i would be buying a bunch more rossi's.
a few rounds with full power 44 mag or 45 colt and that crescent
plate don't seem so "stylish" anymore.
maybe that is why i prefer the carbines for shooting.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

slimster wrote:Trust me, when you light off a 454 you will be glad that "hideous rubber pad" is there! :) I think O.I hit it on the head. Most buyers of the longer, octagonal, etc barrels with the traditional crescent butt plates seem to prefer the more traditional calibers.
+1 After a few boxes of ammo I didn't min the looks at all.
It is not the critic who counts
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

With the velocities that can be obtained in the .45Colt `92's, I wonder why a handloader would even bother with the .454.
45Jack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45Jack »

CraigC wrote:With the velocities that can be obtained in the .45Colt `92's, I wonder why a handloader would even bother with the .454.
My guess would be to go to an even heavier bullet.
I know I can load .45 Colt to a level where I should charge myself with elder abuse.! :lol:
Jack
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I sorta don't like to be a "bubble-burster", but the .454 Casull's groove & bullet diameter is really .451" I guess the "454" thing just sounded better. jd45
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Craig, that's a very astute observation, IMO! Can't wait to try those heavy-bullet loads in my Puma! jd45