Shootin' The 32-20 With Little Bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Shootin' The 32-20 With Little Bullets

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Dudes,
This summer is killing me with yard work and all--Have not had time to BS with the boys---Anyway, I got to playing with the old 1892 Winchester in 32-20 (made in 1893) the other day with bullets made for the 32 S&W Short. I have had this rifle for 35 years and never thought about using the little bullets in it.

I have been using the Lyman bullets for so long, I did not think anything else would shoot out of it :D I have logged over 6K out of the old '92 and its got a very nice shiny bore. For the boys here who don't cast and for the ones here who do, but hate casting the little bullets and spending the money on gas checks, well, here's your answer. The 32 S&W Short bullets I use are usually shot out of and old top break .32 S&W double action. I buy them for about $30 a thousand. (well, that was last year) They are sized .312. Pushing them with 5 grains of Unique yields 1440 fps and no leading whatsoever out of the '92. Accuracy was an astounding 2 and 1/2" @ 100 meters (109 yds) with my 54 year old eyes. The Remington 71 grain jacketed designed for the 32 auto shoots just as good.

While these loads may not be all that great for hunting, they sure do work for plinking and pistol caliber silhouette shooting. Mighty cheap too :D ------------------------Sixgun
left to right
71 gr. Reming. jkt---115 gr. NEI gas check----115 Lyman plain base----77 gr. commercial cast
Image,

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
JimT
Shootist

Re: Shootin' The 32-20 With Little Bullets

Post by JimT »

They are fun! I have a Lee 90 gr. roundnose mold that I use like that. Also I have used a "00" buckshot pressed onto the mouth of the case over 1 1/2 gr. of Bullseye for indoor loads.
JJ_Miller
Shootist

Post by JJ_Miller »

Looks like the perfect coon load..............JJ
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Hey Jim, aren't you going to tell about your most unusual use for a .32-20 (Shootin' Thru) :wink: ?
Glenn
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Who did you buy the cast bullet from ? Or who was the manufacturer? i should try them in my 32 H&R mag.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I use to do the same with a pistol 32 bullet pushed through a 308 sizer for my 30/30 and a pinch of w231 :wink:

Weren't that accurate though!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JimT wrote:They are fun! I have a Lee 90 gr. roundnose mold that I use like that. Also I have used a "00" buckshot pressed onto the mouth of the case over 1 1/2 gr. of Bullseye for indoor loads.

That would be .33, right? Never thought of that....RB is fair accurate to 100yds, depending on the load.....my .54 Renegage would do about 6" with RB at 100 yds.......Any way, a little .32 Single Six and a couple bags of 00 could keep ya in rabbits and such for a very long time.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BenT wrote:Who did you buy the cast bullet from ? Or who was the manufacturer? i should try them in my 32 H&R mag.
Ben,
I probably have 50 moulds that I cast for but this little bullet is not worth the aggravation. I buy them at the Valley Forge gunshow. They are made by a company called "Penn Bullets". Just google it and I am sure they have a website. If not, its a fairly common bullet and most decent bullet suppliers will carry them. Just make sure you get .312 or .313 diameter. These bullets also shoot great in a 32 Mag or for that matter, probably any 30 caliber rifle.-In the 32 mag. I drop in about 2 grains of Bullseye for shootin' in the backyard. Very quiet and fun--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

My father has always been an expert at smaller the normal things. :mrgreen: :P :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Sixgun jr wrote:My father has always been an expert at smaller than normal things. :mrgreen: :P :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You lookin' in the mirror? :lol:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Sixgun,
do you use a Lee Factory Crimp die on the ACP bullets or do you just fill the case with black. ;-)
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
Nice pic with the 1955 Lyman / Ideal Handbook #40 in the background :D Nice idea! Unortunately, I don't have a .32-20 yet but I have pushed the 311245 in lino (88 grs) to over 3,000 f.p.s. in my .30-30's with good accuracy. :mrgreen:

Mav,
Are you going to the PA State Cowboy Silhouette Championshiip this year? Sixgun is planning on being there as am I.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Great post, Jack. Image
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

John,
Yes, I will be there Saturday. Just shooting SCR and PC. I gave them the check this evening at one of their weekly shoots. Boy do I need to practice! ;-)
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

mav,
Glad to hear. I plan on being there both days. It will be fuunnn!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Mighty interesting! A while back I bought a bunch of .32ACP bullets, including the 60gr Gold Dot, intent on turning a cannelure in them and seeing how fast I could drive them out of my Browning 53 but just never got around to it.