OT- Inoshishi Yari Complete

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

OT- Inoshishi Yari Complete

Post by GANJIRO »

Just completed my Inoshishi Yari Boar Spear minus the sheath, I decided to paint with a textured enamel to somewhat match the lacquer finish used on Japanese spears. I wrapped both head and butt ends of spear with nylon twine that my Dad tarred himself. Also added Turk's Heads on each end of wraps for traction. Added what I thought was appropriate Kanji characters. Hopefully can use on my next trip back to Maui.

Finished head end

Finished butt end

Kagemusha

Inoshishi

Fuei

Inoshishi Yari
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Inoshishi Yari Complete

Post by rjohns94 »

thats a beautiful work of art JI. thanks for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very impressive Ji. 8)
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

WOWZER! That is beautiful! :shock:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ji,

Excellent craftsmanship. When you get to use it, we really do need pics.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Very nice craftsmanship.
Do the Kanji translate to english?
I love the knot work.
Excellent job.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

SWEET dude :D
Ricky

DWWC
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Ji
Let me know if you would like some Mesquite, Juniper, or Pinon wood for the handles.
Mescalero
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mastery of tool building or tool using, regardless of the field or type of tool/machine, is always amazing to see. I always wonder how some people can fail to appreciate the beauty and expertise in any other area than their own.

I know nothing of spear use (except for that unfortunate incident with the yard-darts as a child :oops: ) but nonetheless, I am very impressed by the craftsmanship.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Real special, Ji......So: The blade stays in the boar and you can load it up with another spear tip (blade)??
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WOW...EXCELLENT WORK...
YOU NEED TO START SELLING THESE...
VERY NICE INDEED
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent craftsmanship Ji - you are truly an artist!
8)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent job, Ji.
Old Law Dawg
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Wow! Professional!

I need you to teach me how to do the turks head knot. I've looked at diagrams, but never gotten the hang of it.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Yeah. What the others said. + oodles more. :) Me? I'm a sucker for any kind of hand built weapon. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF WORK - YOU ARE ONE WHO CARRIES ON THE TRADITION AND THE CULTURE. I AM PROUD TO KNOW YOU! :mrgreen:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Wow, that's something special!

Next time we see it it's gonna be buried in a hog, right?

Tell us how it handles in the field!

Good work, Gi.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

WOW!

And I mean it.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

dr walker wrote:Very nice craftsmanship.
Do the Kanji translate to english?
I love the knot work.
Excellent job.
Thanks Doc.

Here's a rough translation-

Kagemusha: "kage" (kageh) = shadow, and "musha" (moo-shah) = warrior, translation Shadow Warrior- my brand name :wink:

Inoshishi: (ee-noh-she-she) Wild Boar, as opposed to "Buta" (boo-tah) which is the domestic pig
FYI the animal in the Chinese Zodiac is NEVER a domestic pig, ALWAYS the Wild Boar, there is no "Year of the Pig, only the "Year of the Boar".

Fuei: Combination of "fue" (foo-eh) which translates "flute" the musical instrument, and "i" (ee) which means "well" as in source of water. Pronounced in one smooth breath with emphasis on "i". All Japanese write their name in the ancient Chinese pictogram form known as Kanji instead of the more modern Kana (Hiragana & Katakana) used in modern Japanese literature along with Kanji. "Fuei" is what my Dad came up with as close phonetically to his Irish origin last name that could be written in ancient Kanji and pronounced by the Japanese (He lived there from the first days of occupation September 1945 thru the summer of 1966 which equals 21 years total before being transfered to Hawaii).
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

BlaineG wrote:Real special, Ji......So: The blade stays in the boar and you can load it up with another spear tip (blade)??
No, the blade is firmly secured held in place on the reinforced hardwood shaft with a chrome steel pin. Blade is removable for sharpening and polishing when necessary. Hunting scenario is aim for one quick penetration of the boar's heart while hounds firmly immobilize it. :wink:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Thank you all for your positive comments. :mrgreen:
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

YOI DES
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

GANJIRO wrote:No, the blade is firmly secured held in place on the reinforced hardwood shaft with a chrome steel pin. Blade is removable for sharpening and polishing when necessary. Hunting scenario is aim for one quick penetration of the boar's heart while hounds firmly immobilize it. :wink:

Sounds like fun. :) :D I've put down one hog with a piece of rebar (some folks were torturing it to death since they had NO idea of where the heart was - I finished it with one jab in the right place) and can testify that something like this is FAR more appropriate to the job. Still, I favor a good sixgun or rifle for such work - but can admire the skill it would take to use such a weapon in the field. It's a beautiful artifact indeed.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Man..That thing came out really nice!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GANJIRO wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Real special, Ji......So: The blade stays in the boar and you can load it up with another spear tip (blade)??
No, the blade is firmly secured held in place on the reinforced hardwood shaft with a chrome steel pin. Blade is removable for sharpening and polishing when necessary. Hunting scenario is aim for one quick penetration of the boar's heart while hounds firmly immobilize it. :wink:
When and if you start making those, let me know what the deposit would be, if you should want to honor me by crafting one for me...Time would not be an issue......Will Hawaii let you hunt with those?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ji, I am truly awed by your craftsmanship and humbled by your willingness to hunt wild boar with nothing by a sharp stick! Hope you have "backup" with serious firepower! :mrgreen: I'd volunteer, but it's hard to get this ol' rig 'cross that crick! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

mescalero1 wrote:Ji
Let me know if you would like some Mesquite, Juniper, or Pinon wood for the handles.
Mescalero
Mesquite sounds interesting, we have Mesquite here in the islands it's known as Kiawe (kee-yah-veh) used mainly for pulehu (barbeque) fuel. Extremely dense heavy wood with nice grain and color, I like to turn bowls from it on a wood lathe. How long, and what diameter do they come in, and what's the price? Curious even though probably couldn't afford it. :wink:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Call it a contribution to an artist,
You tell me how long, I will turn it to the diameter you want.
You pay shipping.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Griff wrote:Ji, I am truly awed by your craftsmanship and humbled by your willingness to hunt wild boar with nothing by a sharp stick! Hope you have "backup" with serious firepower! :mrgreen: I'd volunteer, but it's hard to get this ol' rig 'cross that crick! :D
I'll have hounds to do the hard part- tracking, capturing, and holding down the pig, I just walk up and sink the tip of spear into the heart. I'll be packing my stainless steel Blackhawk 357 Magnum if the pig becomes difficult. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid. :wink:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

BlaineG wrote: When and if you start making those, let me know what the deposit would be, if you should want to honor me by crafting one for me...Time would not be an issue......Will Hawaii let you hunt with those?
I'll put you on the list, and yes spears are perfectly legal for hunting here though a 357 magnum is not from a rifle but is legal from a handgun, go figure. :roll:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

mescalero1 wrote:Call it a contribution to an artist,
You tell me how long, I will turn it to the diameter you want.
You pay shipping.
Do you have a lathe capable of turning 6 feet? Would it be easier to make a octagon shaft? 6 feet is ideal though shorter is fine. 1.25 to 1.5 diameter would be perfect. I'm thinking Bo staff instead of spear shaft that I could get back into my Aikido Bo Kata forms which I have gotten extremely rusty on over the years. I have ordered 6 feet and longer fishing rods using USPA Priority Mail in the past so I think this should still work. Thank you for the generous offer. :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am not sure if my wood lathe will do 6 feet,will check and get back to you.
Maybe I can steady rest & flip end for end.
I have to go back and install a wind generator for my uncle, give me a couple weeks.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Griff wrote:Ji, I am truly awed by your craftsmanship and humbled by your willingness to hunt wild boar with nothing by a sharp stick! Hope you have "backup" with serious firepower! :mrgreen: I'd volunteer, but it's hard to get this ol' rig 'cross that crick! :D
Actually, he mentioned hunting over dogs. The dogs would do the actual hunting, bay and catch the pig, and hold it.

Gi's role is follow the dogs so that he might deftly thrust that fine lance into a captured swine, mortally wounding the beast.

:)

OOps, Gi beat me to it... :oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I'm thinking Bo staff instead of spear shaft that I could get back into my Aikido Bo Kata forms which I have gotten extremely rusty on over the years.
I'm still working on mine. Still needs a little polishing, but no rust yet.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

mescalero1 wrote:I am not sure if my wood lathe will do 6 feet,will check and get back to you.
Maybe I can steady rest & flip end for end.
I have to go back and install a wind generator for my uncle, give me a couple weeks.
Absolutely no rush at all. An octagon Bo would be at least as cool if easier for you. Also, if not a 6" Bo, then a 4" Jo would still be awesome. I appreciate your generous offer. Now have to review my Jo Kata as well.