Morning giggle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Morning giggle

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Was reading a post over on CAS City that struck my funny bone. One of the wags there defines Pyrodex as "a rusting agent that burns." Sure matches up with my experience! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Re: Morning giggle

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When I first started shooting cap & ball revolvers, the only thing available was Pyrodex. Now, the gentleman who taught me warned me to clean the revolver immediately after shooting it, so I always did. One time my brother goes shooting with me, and neglects to clean his. Overnight a fine layer of rust formed all over his gun. I never forgot that! I still have a decent amount of Pyrodex in reserve, but have fired nothing but holy black for decades now.

And still clean my BP guns immediately after shooting them! :D
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Am I the only one who has never had any problems with pyrodex ?

You have to clean them.

Don't waste your time with water then oiling. Do both at the same time with one part ballistol cut with ten parts water. Let parts dry overnight (the water readily evaporates). If you see any powdery surface rust the next day, spray again. It will not freckle or pit the second time around. A fan or hair dryer will speed cleaning mix evap time down to less than a half hour.

Guns cleaned with ballistol and water develop a subtle glow over time. I even use it on modern smokeless arms.

Take the ballistol/water challenge. Thoroughly clean your modern barrel with hoppes or the like until a dry patch is lily white. Then spray it sparingly with 1/10 ballistol mix and run a dry patch through it. You just thought you had it clean !
m.A.g.a. !
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I have always had good luck shooting Pyrodex in my muzzleloaders, but he is correct about the rust. I also have switched back to black powder.

JBowen