Marlin 1895G long Cartridge Mod

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
577nitro
Levergunner

Marlin 1895G long Cartridge Mod

Post by 577nitro »

For a while I’ve been studying this and finally went ahead did the mod. Used McPherson’s book as a guide, but certainly did not have all the information to do it. I had to work a lot of tuning and smithing issues, but it’s working great. I did this on my test mule JM 1895 which I had already converted to 450AK. I can now open up the throat and use more of the case capacity and longer 500 grain bullets. There is probably enough room to chamber in a 45-90win or a 45-70 long throat. Imagine if Marlin had just done this with the 450Marlin, made it a 2.3” case instead of the 2.09, lower pressure safer loads and true 4000lbs…easily done. After I work out the final kinks, I have a couple buddies I’ll be converting to this. Once I get some photos I’ll push them up.

577nitro.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1895G long Cartridge Mod

Post by jeepnik »

If you like to tinker things like this are a joy. But let's face it, the 45-70 is enough gun for anything that walks the planet with the right load.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1895G long Cartridge Mod

Post by wvfarrier »

Sounds like fun!!!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus