Puttin' Off a Project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Puttin' Off a Project

Post by Griff »

I don't have a shop big enough to get my big truck into, so I gotta pick a weather window that will let me get stuff done. So, I got home at the end of April to get to a couple of VA appointments... As I was unloading my "stuff" from the truck, computer, phone, laundry, books, etc... I leaned a bit across the driver's seat and reached into the sleeper... and the seat back let go... just fell down and stretched out onto the sleeper bed. It's supposed to recline... but only upon releasing that little lever! Not fall like it had a mind of its own!

Well... being the "King of Procrastination", I figured I'd get 'round to it! So the Dr's appointments are just about all out of the way... other work around sorta caught up... (still addressing the lawn mower situation)... I figured today was the day... rain finally not in the forecast. Since to work on the doggone thing I have to take it out, That was step one. Then inspect how the thing is put together and figure out if I have the tools and possible stills to take it apart. Easy, peasy, the back cover has zippers up both sides so one could service the air operated lumbar supports in the back. So with the back cover out of the way, I can see it's a matter of the actual spine of the thing tearing away at a weld joint. They used pretty thin walled tubing to construct it, and got some uneven penetration on the weld at the attachment bracketry. I the actual back separated from the bottom and I'll have to use the hydraulic press to push the pieces back together and find a better welder than myself to hopefully do a better job than the factory did!
DSCN1488.JPG
New ones run between $1,100 - $1,400 depending on where you buy... Out of state wholesalers are cheaper, but freight just might eat up any difference. This'll definitely be a tax write-off! I don't think my D-I-Y fix will run anywhere near that!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Puttin' Off a Project

Post by gamekeeper »

Good luck with the fix Griff. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I hope You can find a good welding shop. We have one nearby that are a bunch of Wizards . anything they fix is better than the day it left the factory.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:21 amGood luck with the fix Griff. :)
Thank you, I probably need it.
.45colt wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:56 amI hope You can find a good welding shop. We have one nearby that are a bunch of Wizards . anything they fix is better than the day it left the factory.
Mine may not be that good... it's called "My Garage"... meaning I have the tools, it's just the skill that's lacking! Since I already jammed the wire feed in the welder... :roll: :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Okay, got that outta my system, now the repair is done... all that's left is reassembly & installing... (gosh, hope I can remember where all the colored air hoses go...) :oops: :roll: :wink:
DSCN1488.JPG
DSCN1489.JPG
DSCN1490.JPG
DSCN1491.JPG
Anyone knows about welding can tell it ain't a professional job... but, they're stuck together... maybe it'll last long enough for me to retire!!! (Couple or 3 years!) Maybe!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well done! That must have been a Monday morning weld!!
Aint ya glad that didn't happen during rush hour traffic as you slammed on the breaks when some nitwit in a prius cut ya off!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:27 pmWell done! That must have been a Monday morning weld!!
Aint ya glad that didn't happen during rush hour traffic as you slammed on the breaks when some nitwit in a prius cut ya off!
I'd just left a shop where I'd had an air leak fixed and drove 4 miles to the house... I really figured it was the reclining mechanism that'd failed and was prepared to just weld it solid. So, at least I still have that feature.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!