Skeeter Article

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Skeeter Article

Post by Walt »

Years ago I read a story by a young Border Patrolman on meeting his hero, Skeeter Skelton. I searched, trying to find the story again but to no avail. Imagine my surprise this morning looking through the latest issue of Guns Magazine; there was the very story I had searched for!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Skeeter Article

Post by Sixgun »

Yeppppp…Skeeter was one of a kind and is the main reason why I have so many 44 Specials.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Yep, it started with Skeeter for me as well, but I need to add Taffin and Pearce. The Sixgunnin' Trinity of 44 Special Enablers.

Despite being a faithful reader of Skelton in Shooting Times back to the early 70's, I didn't acquire a proper .44 Special until around 2000. I found a NIB Model 24 for sale and snatched it up. The fellow also had a NIB 25-5 that I went back for later, but he wouldn't sell it to me when he found out I'd taken the 24 out of the box and was actually shooting it!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

samsi wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:26 pm Yep, it started with Skeeter for me as well, but I need to add Taffin and Pearce. The Sixgunnin' Trinity of 44 Special Enablers.

Despite being a faithful reader of Skelton in Shooting Times back to the early 70's, I didn't acquire a proper .44 Special until around 2000. I found a NIB Model 24 for sale and snatched it up. The fellow also had a NIB 25-5 that I went back for later, but he wouldn't sell it to me when he found out I'd taken the 24 out of the box and was actually shooting it!
He is crazy. Nice guns should be used and appreciated.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

samsi wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:26 pm Yep, it started with Skeeter for me as well, but I need to add Taffin and Pearce. The Sixgunnin' Trinity of 44 Special Enablers.

That dealer was an idiot….a NIB 1950 Target I can understand but there’s way over 10,000 1980’s model 24’s with three different barrel lengths along with 624’s……..let’s pretend you pay $800 for a NIB specimen…..40 years from now you may get your inflation back…..unlike 1950 Target 5 screws or early late 50’s, early sixties Model 24’s.

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:50 pm

That dealer was an idiot….a NIB 1950 Target I can understand but there’s way over 10,000 1980’s model 24’s with three different barrel lengths along with 624’s……..let’s pretend you pay $800 for a NIB specimen…..40 years from now you may get your inflation back…..unlike 1950 Target 5 screws or early late 50’s, early sixties Model 24’s.
I wouldn't say he was crazy, or an idiot, but he did have some...peculiarities.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Peculiar? Not on those guns, even the 25-5. I’ve owned a few of those 25-5’s and looked at a lot more…everyone had cylinder throats that were .456 or more…. He did you a favor……well, they are his guns so I guess that’s his business.

One of most accurate Spls ….well, they are all accurate.:D….is a 624….430 throats and groove diameter…..Smith did those guns right but sure messed up on the 25-5 in 45 Colt……never could figure that out on why they cut the throats so big……—6

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Colt claimed they made their throats oversize to reduce chamber pressure. As thin as Smith .45 Colt chamber walls are, they may have done it for the same reason.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I sent a New Frontier in .45 Colt back to the factory eight or ten years ago to have the cylinder replaced because the chambers were oversized and unequal in diameter as were the throats. I requested that they send the new cylinder with .452 diameter throats but it didn't happen. Although the chambers and throats are now each of equal diameter, the throats were sized .454".