Define the word "Trapper"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Define the word "Trapper"

Post by Bigahh »

In Lever Gun language what does the word "30-30 Trapper" actually mean? I was told today at my local gun shop any 30-30 regardless of make a 30-30 with a barrel less than 20". This can mean a Marlin also. Is this a true statement? Did Marlin ever make a 30-30 trapper?
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Define the word "Trapper"

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Well, why not! :lol: A carbine in general has a barrel length of 19-20 inches. A Trapper is a carbine with a barrel shorter than 18 inches. When I think of Trapper it means a carbine with no more than 16.5 inches.

This stuff gets strange, as I often hear shooters refer to short rifles having 20 inch barrels as carbines, or even Trappers. :roll:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Trapper: One who traps something, generally accepted to mean fur-bearing animals, but also to pest, fishes, birds & whatever.

"Trapper" carbine: Generally accepted, over time, to refer to a short-barreled firearm carried by the person trapping animals. The shortness was developed by users, then supplied by the factories, due to the need for a very compact accessory, so the user could manage well along with all the other trapping accessories/accoutrements carried, like traps, lure, wire, hatchet, etc, etc.
Early, 17th[EDIT: Ooops - 19th Century (1870's-up) meant, Sorry] Century centerfires leverguns, so referred to have had barrels as short as 12".

Most fall into the 16"-18" range, with 16" established arbitrarily by US government firearms regulations - which are not the same in other countries, where shorter lengths may be legal, and (in fact) more common.
Although done worls-wide, most trapping is associated with activities in the Western Hemisphere, most particularly the Northern half.
Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>Early, 17th Century centerfires leverguns, so referred to have had barrels as short as 12".

You mean like the ones the Pilgrims carried?? :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Oooops ! - Thanks, Pisgah - I guess I'm having a "senior" day. :(
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

And to make it even more confusing, "trapper" was not a term that Winchester ever used "back in the day". It was a term coined by collectors later on, and perhaps was a common term to some geographic areas. The same guns were called "Pancho Villa" models by those in the Mexican border states. The name "trapper" wasn't adopted as a model name by Winchester until the 1980's (or whenever they started making 16" barreled carbines again). Back in the pre-war days, when you could get about anything on special order, Winchester just considered them "special order short barrel carbines". The term "baby carbine" was more common than "trapper" for a long time, as I understand it. The short carbines were made in barrel lengths from 12" to 18" on order.

So, to answer your question "In Lever Gun language what does the word "30-30 Trapper" actually mean?", it generally refers to a carbine with a shorter than "standard" 20" barrel, mostly the 16" guns. Marlin never made a model called a "trapper, but the term can apply to Marlins as well as Winchesters.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Stubby utility weapon :D :D
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Wasn't he the guy that invented the flushing toilet?...Oh TRAPper...sorry! :mrgreen:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

This is how I see it give or take an inch, YMMV

22" and longer: Rifle

20": Carbine

18": Guide Gun

16" or less: Trapper
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

And...among Winchesters and Winchester designs, "short rifle" generally refers to 20" barrels that are not round, i.e., octagonal, usually accompanied by a "rifle" forearm end cap instead of the carbine's typical rear barrel band (at least as originally seen on "large bore" carbines- .38-40, .44-40) and no front barrel band among the 92s (ditto orignially on large bore carbines). Oddly, the Cimarron (Armi Sport) 92 "trapper" just added this past year to their line up is not what most of us have come to think of as a trapper (16" (or shorter in the old days) round barreled carbine with front and rear barrel bands - the original "baby carbines" someone else referred to) but instead an octagon barrel "short rifle" that's been shortened further yet - to 16".