.357 for deer hunt?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
leeloader
Levergunner

.357 for deer hunt?

Post by leeloader »

I am going deer hunting this year up by Flagstaff. It is heavy woods and I was thinking of taking my .357 marlin carbine along this trip. The range would not be over 100yd and I am using the new ammo from Hornady "leverevolution" 140 gr. Whats your thoughts on this set up. I really like shooting this carbine, and at 100 yds with open sights I can shoot the heck out of the middle of a paper plate! My son is taking my fathers old 336SC .35 rem that he used when he went to deer camp in Mich. I think it would be a great levergun hunt for us. We usally use bolt rifles down in the southern part of AZ. Alot longer shots down there. Thanks for advice. :?:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: .357 for deer hunt?

Post by Old Savage »

Should work fine from the reports we have had here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yes on the gun, NO on the ammo. IMO the 140gr LeverEvolution is both too light and too slow.

If you are not reloading your own, I suggest Buffalo Bore Item No. 19A/20 180 gr. LFN-GC. Out of a Levergun it hits 1800fps+

I have used this load and my handload equivelents to solid effect out to 110yds.

If not the Buffalo Bore, then either the Federal Premium "Vital Shock" 180gr.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'm agreeing with OI. The bullets are intended to expand at handgun velocities. They are light and slow to get adequate repeatable penetration. Err on the side of caution. I recommend Grizzly Cartridge 180gr ammo with Hawk Bullets or Cast Performance Bullets. You can order them online at www.bornhunter.com or call (503) 556-3006 or get them at Cabelas stores or catalog. You'll want to have a hard bullet that retains its weight and integrity to give proper penetration and to keep its course inside the animal. If possible, two holes are better than one so you'll need heavy weight and some speed to get an exit hole on whitetail. Good Luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

180s for sure.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Tycer wrote:180s for sure.
+ 1

This one fell to a .357 with 180 XTP's. In thru ribs, out thru neck and kept going.

Highly recommend 180's
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I killed one with a factory Federal American Eagle 158gr FP from a 20" carbine, got full penetration on a broadside & the deer piled up in 30 yards.
I dont think I'd worry about it not working.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe - handgun velocity is listed at 1440. That would likely translate to about 1900 + in a rifle. Which velocity were you referring to?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Hornady bullet is designed to expand rapidly starting at impact velocities of low 1000 fps range. If you drive it nearly twice as fast, the rapid expansion could impede penetration and upset the bullet integrity. If someone wants to send me some I'd be happy to shoot something with them and report.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i think the hornaday 140's were developed to be used in a lever for deer hunting. they should work fine. i live in brush country and would prefer the 180 hardcast. please let us know if it works out.
leeloader
Levergunner

Post by leeloader »

I think I'll let it ride. I'll post what happens should I get lucky and shoot a deer with one. Thanks for the info. I'll pick up some of the buffalo bores and try them out too. I agree, I think :D Horanady made this round with the lever gun in mind, so the bullet was also made for a carbine. We will see. Again thanks again.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

leeloader wrote:I think I'll let it ride. I'll post what happens should I get lucky and shoot a deer with one. Thanks for the info. I'll pick up some of the buffalo bores and try them out too. I agree, I think :D Horanady made this round with the lever gun in mind, so the bullet was also made for a carbine. We will see. Again thanks again.
Why guess?

Give Hornady a call.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

How big are the deer there? I've successfully harvested several wild goats out to 150 yards, and a few months back a Blackbuck doe all with 158 grain JSPs though for anything bigger than 150 lbs. I'd also prefer either a partition, or hardcast 180.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Leeloader;
Back when I used my.357 Win 92 a lot, it was handloaded 125 JHP for varmints and 140 JHP at 2000+ fps for Texas (not big) whitetails) and anything but a shoulder or hip shot always went clear through, wreaking havoc with the deers internals.
They died fast, but with more meat damage that desired. If you make a clean shot, you should be OK and please let us know how it works out.

I have even killed a 200 pound hog with factory .357 125 gr JSP, but with those you really do have to place your shots right.

BTW, I am not against heavier bullets, but my .357 rifle just loves lighter, faster loads. The higher the velocity, the more accurate it is.

Heck, I may even take it on my August pronghorn hunt!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I would go big,N.AZ. has big body mulies..
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I think if it's a LEVERevolution round, then it was most likely designed with rifle use in mind. The "LEVER" in the name appears to be a slight hint. :shock:

Scott :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hmmm? May be a point there, :idea: :?: :!:

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The "LEVER" in the name appears to be a slight hint.
You'd think so wouldn't you,
but the Hornady data I read suggested the 1440 fps was rifle data in which case they are a pretty slow load and even plain Winchester factory ammo would give a better result.
Either that or the data I read was wrong.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

The Hornady website says the 1,440 fps is a handgun number:

http://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=balli ... _sku=92755

Scott
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That's the way I read it.

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here's the rifle data compared to the handgun data:

357 MAG Velocity (fps)/Energy (ft/lb) Trajectory Tables
0 50 yds 100 yds 150 yds muzzle 50 yds 100 yds 150 yds
357 Mag 140 gr. FTX (Handgun) 1440/644 1274/504 1143/406 1049/342 -0.9 2.2 0.0 -8.9
357 Mag 140 gr. FTX (Rifle) 1850/1064 1632/828 1438/642 1272/503 -0.9 1.2 0.0 -5.4

Here's what Hornady says:

Typical hollow point pistol bullets deliver good performance at modest velocities, but expand too quickly and sacrifice penetration at the higher velocities achieved with lever action rifles. But Hornady soon discovered that the same Flex Tip® technology that prevents primers from detonating in tubular magazines, also allows the bullet to expand reliably over an unbelievably wide range of velocities.

Upon impact, the Flex Tip® eXpanding bullet is compressed into the front of the bullet, causing the bullet to expand under hydraulic force. Flex Tip® eXpanding bullets will NEVER clog and not expand like some hollow points can. This also transfers a great deal of immediate energy with a devastating temporary cavity, even at low velocity.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

357 Mag 140 gr. FTX (Rifle) 1850...

That's what we're getting out of 180s...

I think I'd still prefer the "extra" 40gr and more sectional density.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!