J.M. Marlin Ballard #2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

J.M. Marlin Ballard #2

Post by marlinman93 »

I've steered clear of the smaller Ballard #2 rifles that were so common in .38 Long RF/CF, and .32 Long RF/CF for a long time now. But I've had a nice early pre 1881 J.M. Marlin #2 action sitting on a shelf in my safe for awhile in hopes I'd stumble across a barrel, and parts to maybe assemble another #2.
Just early this week I got a call from a friend saying he had some parts to sell that he always figured he'd get around to using, but knew he never would. So he sent me pictures of some stocks, forearms, levers, and a couple barrels. One barrel was in .38 Long, and I was immediately interested. A buttstock with buttplate was in excellent shape also, and had a matching numbers forearm too! So I sent him off some money, and today the barrel, forearm, and buttstock arrived!
Of course I had to immediately try the barrel on my action, even though it's a miracle for any Marlin Ballard barrel to index up, and headspace correctly on any other Ballard action. I've had it happen once in numerous attempts. But I spun the barrel down by hand and it stopped about 1/8th turn shy of perfect. I clamped it in my barrel vise, and put my action wrench on the action, and bingo!, it indexed right up! I reinstalled the breech block and tried closing it, and it closed, but with enough resistance to know it was more than the usual .003" crush I like. I removed the breech block, and stoned the face until some BP pitting on the face was almost gone, and tried it again. The fit was perfect, and as tight as a safe vault lockup!
I grabbed the wood and tried the buttstock fit. It too was slightly tight where it slips inside the receiver, and a few minutes with a file removed enough internal wood to fit like a glove. Then I tried the forearm, and the hanger screw wouldn't quite thread into the barrel, as the rear mating edge was tight against the receiver. A few more strokes with the file on the rear edge, and it fit and the screw went right in.
Grabbed an original rear barrel sight from my parts, and a front blade, and tapped those in too. I need to make up an 8" 5/6" through bolt to hold the stock on, and make a firing pin to replace a missing pin, and it's done! The rifling is excellent, and bore is very nice. This one is a pretty rare #2 action as it's centerfire only. Almost all #2 Ballards had a firing pin that could be turned upside down to convert from rimfire to centerfire. A small number were centerfire only like this one. .38 Long is easily made from .38 Special cases, but using a heeled bullet as they're larger diameter at around .360"-.363" bullets. I've got a couple NEI molds for this bullet, so loading for it will be cheap and easy!

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: J.M. Marlin Ballard #2

Post by Walt »

That came together really nicely, Marlinman! Congratulations. What a classic!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Way kewl :D
Can hardly wait for a range report !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks!
I have to build a firing pin, as it's missing, and also see if my luck holds and one of my spare extractors might be for a .38 Long also? Or if one is for a .32 Long that's OK as it can be easily reshaped to fit vs. having to weld on more metal to shape down.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

A sincere bravo zulu to you for keeping history alive and shooting. Recently I handled a .35 maynard and was impressed at its simplicity, compactness, balance and pointability. The previous owner to the current one only had one cartridge so he had loaded it from the muzzle, using that one cartridge as a breech gasket, for nigh-on three decades and had slain a few whitetails with it. Seems like it should have been more popular.
m.A.g.a. !
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Love it when a plan comes together. Awesome work. I need one!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My first Ballard was a $200 #2 in .38 Long, and had a horrid bore. I tried shooting it but it was tough to even keep shots on the paper at 25 yds. This one should be much better!
I dug out a spare extractor today, and it was a .38 extractor! Fit like a glove! Then I got my drill rod out which I bought for firing pins as it has the correct diameter. Cut off a piece and chucked it in the drill press and turned down the tip to fit, and then marked and cut it to length. Cut the retaining notch with a rat tail file and finished it.
Still need to go buy a 8" long 5/16" bolt to build the through bolt, and then it's a complete rifle!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, that Ballard was simply meant to be!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Knowledge & skills beat desire & luck every time... but having all four is tremendous!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:53 am Vall, that Ballard was simply meant to be!
I think you're right Bill. Since every Marlin had so much hand fitting it's close to a miracle to have one index and headspace like this one did! I've got an original George Schoyen 30" full round #5 weight .40-50SS barrel sitting here, and I've spun the barrels off four different Ballards I own in hopes of it fitting one of them close enough to work easily. It always comes up tight just past perfect, which means it would need a full turn almost, and then need to be rechambered. I've contemplated having a shim made up, but it might index fine, and still not headspace correctly. So the barrel sits in my safe waiting for the right action.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:53 am Vall, that Ballard was simply meant to be!
Yes sir that's remarkable that all those parts came together so well, brilliant... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Took some running around town, but finally found one hardware store that carries longer than 6" bolts! Grabbed three 8" long 5/16" bolts so I'll have a couple spares for future. I turned the hex heads round, and turned the seating side to 45 degrees to match the steel bushing the Ballards use inside the buttstocks. Cut 1/4" off the length, and using my Fordam and a cutoff wheel I cut a large screw slot in the reshaped head to tighten the bolt down.
Turned out a couple firing pins since I had no CF spare, and fit one to the breech block. Dropped a primed case into the action and fired it to check depth and see how it centered. All great, so it's ready to go once I cast up some heeled bullets, and load some ammo up. Temps are mid 20's now, and windy, so hopefully when I'm ready things will be warmer and calmer!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Marlinman93, things WILL get warmer, BUT they will NOT get calmer! :shock: :? :evil: :roll: