Dear Mrs. Bixby

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Dear Mrs. Bixby

Post by 2ndovc »

On this day in 1864, President Lincoln wrote this letter to Mrs. Bixby regarding her loss of five sons in battle.

"Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln"

Most of you know this letter was quoted in "Saving Private Ryan". Both sides of my family lost a number of fathers, sons and brothers to the conflict.
I always found it quite touching.

The link to the Fox article;
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/day-h ... -mrs-bixby

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Dear Mrs. Bixby

Post by Walt »

Grief, loss, pride....

Thank you for the story. God bless you and your family. Thanks to those who gave everything.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

And then there were the Sullivans. Proving that learning and change come very slowly sometimes.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

For those Not-In-The-Know about the five Sullivan brothers in WW II: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_brothers

Then there are the Four Chaplains: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Chaplains
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had ancestors fighting on both sides as well, including the case of brother versus brother (and father). :(
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

There is a similar story of sacrifice and martyrdom not well known even within the Christian Bible because it is "dual canonical" or "apocryphal" but it is the worst story of martyrdom I have yet come across.

The Seven Holy Maccabee Martyrs

https://lychnos.org/the-seven-holy-macc ... 0Antiochus.

A mother should not have to give up all her sons for the war of governments. Perhaps for Christ, but not for governments IMHO.

-T-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel