It was a special day today ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

It was a special day today ....

Post by JimT »

.44 Special that is. Heading to the Range this morning I decided I would shoot some factory loads and see how they did out of the USFA .44 Special. I have had some of these for decades and they needed to be used.

On the Range I set up at 20 yards. I shot groups using the Outers Pistol Rest to steady the barrel .. holding the gun with my hands resting on the pad.
IMG_4003.JPG
I had factory loads from Federal, Cor-Bon, Black Hills and Double Tap. I also had some handloads with me.
IMG_4012.JPG
IMG_4014.JPG
IMG_4016.JPG
IMG_4017.JPG
IMG_4015.JPG
IMG_4013.JPG
The Cor-Bon 165 gr. JHP loads gave the snappiest recoil ... not heavy, just fast. They hit quite load as the gun is sighted for the 250 gr. Keith bullet. The Double Tap 240 gr. loads gave the heaviest recoil which, in the .44 Special, is not heavy.

All in all, a Special Day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: It was a special day today ....

Post by Bronco »

Such a nice day it was :)
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Jim I'd have to say thers not a bad group out the entire bunch, and it favors the heavier loads. Fine shooting!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Very nice, JimT!

I have arthritis in the base of both thumbs so I value mild big bores like .44 spl and .45 Colt highly. Single actions are preferable over double actions because of the hump in the grip frames of the double actions. I am envious of you having that fine USFA revolver. Very nice firearm! And fine shooting as well. Thanks for the post and the pictures.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:39 pm Very nice, JimT!

I have arthritis in the base of both thumbs so I value mild big bores like .44 spl and .45 Colt highly. Single actions are preferable over double actions because of the hump in the grip frames of the double actions. I am envious of you having that fine USFA revolver. Very nice firearm! And fine shooting as well. Thanks for the post and the pictures.
Thank you. I was blessed to be able to get it. It's as good or better than any Colt SAA I have ever owned.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So jealous! I would like to have a .44 Special day soon!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:06 pm So jealous! I would like to have a .44 Special day soon!
I have a Charter Arms Bulldog... but would love to have a 44 Special on a Ruger frame of some sort, or even the Charter Arms 6" 44 Spl I once shot, vs my (probably more practical but not as much fun) 3" one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The problem with the .44 Special is owning one makes you want to get another. And after that, another. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Superb that is Jim.

My Mrs says I'm special, every day !!!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:48 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:06 pm So jealous! I would like to have a .44 Special day soon!
I have a Charter Arms Bulldog... but would love to have a 44 Special on a Ruger frame of some sort, or even the Charter Arms 6" 44 Spl I once shot, vs my (probably more practical but not as much fun) 3" one.
You mean like this? :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:43 pm The problem with the .44 Special is owning one makes you want to get another. And after that, another. :D
I fail to see the issue here... ;) :lol:
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

John Taffin is evidently a devoted aficionado of .44 specials. About ten years ago he stated in an article that he had 113 of them. I'm not totally addicted to them but I have half a dozen. They're pretty hard to find but I'll buy one if I stumble across a good one. My favorite load is 7.5 gr of Power Pistol behind a 240 or 250 gr bullet.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

When I first got the USFA .44 Special I spent time loading and shooting it. Rather than cut the sights I finally figured out a couple loads that shoot to the sights. Both are with the Keith SWC #429421. The light load is 6.5 gr. of Unique. The heavy load is 16.5 gr. 2400. These two loads do everything I want to do. I mess with some other loads and bullets now and again, but the majority of my handloads are these two.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Nice work. Still hoping to own a Special one of these moons.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Hey JimT, how about sending a picture or two of your beautiful USFA .44? I'd love to see it.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:35 pm Hey JimT, how about sending a picture or two of your beautiful USFA .44? I'd love to see it.
CIMG4741.JPG
USFA44spl.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2419.JPG
IMG_2420.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG
These were a special run for The Shootists. Mine is serial number 3. John Taffin has 1 and 2. I was the 3rd Chairman of The Shootists. Deacon Deason was 2nd. I was 3rd. Paco Kelly was 4th. I forget how many we had made but it wasn't a lot ... maybe a hundred? I am not sure. The grips on mine are one piece walnut by Paul Persinger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

OMG, that is so way beyond beautiful!
Thanks!!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

JimT, the picture in my addled brain is beginning to clear. Weren't you the one who at the original Shootists Holiday in Colorado brought along a Ruger Single Six in .22 lr with one chamber bored out to accept .22 magnum?
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

This must have been at a subsequent Shootists event but I'm still amused by the story of attendees bringing their best long range cannons and Hal Swiggett winning the jackrabbit shooting contest with his 3" Charter Arms .22 lr topped with a 1x Hutson Handgunner scope.

Great story
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:14 am JimT, the picture in my addled brain is beginning to clear. Weren't you the one who at the original Shootists Holiday in Colorado brought along a Ruger Single Six in .22 lr with one chamber bored out to accept .22 magnum?
Yessir. My Dad built the gun. He bought it in the early '60's .. rebarreled it and rechambered one chamber to .22 Magnum. The story and photos are here - https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/family_gun.htm
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Wonderful story, Jim. Definitely a family heirloom.

Thanks!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

You may have been aware of my late arrival to this, my first and only forum. I feel like I'm in the company of sixgun royalty and I'm deeply appreciative. Thanks to all.