YK might like this (on 'pairs')

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

YK might like this (on 'pairs')

Post by AJMD429 »

I remember a thread from a few years ago we did on rifle and handgun pairs.

https://youtu.be/_tyTnhBGmLY

I like his choice of rear sights (Marbles 'Bullseye') on the rifle.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Re: YK might like this (on 'pairs')

Post by 4t5 »

How much improvement can you get with a bullseye sight, same as a red dot?, no better than open sights? Never used one.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

4t5 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:07 pm How much improvement can you get with a bullseye sight, same as a red dot?, no better than open sights? Never used one.
I'n my experience, and I have them on all of my 16-in leverguns, they are closest to a red dot, but obviously much less bulky, more durable, and don't require batteries. The reason I say that is because they are extremely fast to bring into action because the larger ring works as a ghost ring site that is almost instant. Taking an extra half second or so allows you to use the inner ring which functions as a more precise aperture site. Kind of the best of both worlds. The only difficulty is they are drift adjustable like most open sites, so you have to be patient when sighting in. However once sighted in, they aren't going to come out of adjustment unless you throw the rifle off a roof or something.

Compared to a regular barrel mounted iron sight, the big difference is that the typical iron sight with a bead and notch or post and notch, obscures the entire lower half of the field of view. This isn't necessarily a problem at the target range or with stationary game, but if you are hunting it is much nicer to see the entire field of view with your target in the center rather than at the bottom edge.

In this photo I show what you see with the Marbles, versus replicating the way a regular open site obscures the lower field of view if mounted on the same gun.
Screenshot_20221011-211420-733.png
Visualize a running deer or coyote in the field of view, and you can see how 'regular' sites make things more difficult, with no real advantage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I do love a good rifle & pistol (or better yet, revolver) combination!!! :D :D :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, you make an excellent point about the traditional rear sight obscuring half the target.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Doc, thanks for that, I've got 2 Marlins, I'd like to try that on.
Rumble.com/ hickock45