The '92 action and three classic Winchester Models (Photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

The '92 action and three classic Winchester Models (Photos)

Post by KirkD »

Some fellows here may be unfamiliar with the different models that Winchester put out all of which used the original Model 1892 action, itself a smaller version of the Model 1886 action, with the two locking lugs, one on each side of the bolt.

The Model 1892: The Winchester Model 1892 began production in 1892 and continued until 1941. The calibers were 25 WCF (25-20), 32 WCF (32-20), 38 WCF (38-40), and 44 WCF (44-40). It was available in both rifle and carbine configuration. Later on in production, around 1919 or 1920, it was designated as the Model 92. A total of just over one million Model 1892/92 guns were made.

The Model 53: The Model 53 was a lighter version of the Model 1892/92, with standard configuration having a light 22" barrel, a button mag and a shotgun butt with steel buttplate and a fluted comb. Production began in 1924 and ceased in 1932. Some guns continued to be assembled from parts on hand up until 1941, although the final four years saw only a dozen or less built each year. The calibers were 25-20, 32-20, and 44-40. Just over 15 thousand were made in total, making the Model 53 one of the rarer Winchester models.

The Model 65: The Model 65 still used the Model 1892/92 receiver. The standard configuration, however, was with a 22" barrel (24" for the 218 Bee), a button mag, steel buttplate and sharply curved pistol grip and hooded front sight. The calibers were 25-20, 32-20, and 218 Bee. The new, flat shooting 218 Bee was the most popular of the calibers and almost half of all Model 65's made were in this new caliber. Production ran from 1933 to 1942, with a few guns assembled from parts after that. The total number of Model 65's made was only 5,717 guns, making it one of the rarest Winchester models produced.

Shown below are two photos illustrating the three members of the Model 1892 action family. On the bottom is a Winchester Model 1892 in standard configuration except for the octagon barrel. Caliber is 44-40 and this particular rifle was made in 1914 according to Winchester factory polishing room records (where the receivers were serialized). The middle rifle is a Winchester Model 53 in standard configuration. This particular rifle is a first year gun of 1924 and is in 25-20 caliber. The top rifle is a Winchester Model 65 in standard configuration, 32-20 caliber. It was made around 1941 or 1942.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The '92 action and three classic Winchester Models (Photos)

Post by rjohns94 »

always a pleasure to read your posts. Beautiful rifles. wonderful information. Great start to the winchester museum north. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Stop please . You are killing me. 1886.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Cheers: Another great post!

Jeers: No drool warning... :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the great info! :D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I sure wish I had been doing 35 years ago---what is impossible to do now. Grab a few nice model 1892 Wins when they wern't sought after by every gun guy on the planet. Oh well, life is hard.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Your M-53 is the same configuration my 1906 M1892 in .32-20 had, except for my 24" RB.

I would opine that Winchester got enough special orders for a button mag model, that they eventually made them as the M53 in regular production.

Sets rock ! :P :P
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hey Kirk, I didn't think about it sooner when you said you were going to send me that '92 that you needed my address. PM me and I'll send it to you. :mrgreen:
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

kimwcook wrote:Hey Kirk, I didn't think about it sooner when you said you were going to send me that '92 that you needed my address. PM me and I'll send it to you. :mrgreen:
I sure wish I had a warehouse full that I could send to everyone! :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Nice pics and good info. The Model 53 was also offered in a take-down version. I have one that has been in our family since the 1930's. It is a 25-20 with s/n 3xxx. There is a litttle "26" stamped near the s/n which could mean 1926 I guess. However, the Ned Schwing Winchester Pocket Guide claims that 53's are "...serially numbered concurrently with the Model 92". Maybe takedowns were serialed differently?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Kaschi, you're right about the takedown option for the '53's. I've seen several takedown 53's. Your serial number indicates it was made in 1925. That '26' is probably an inspector's stamp. The Model 53's had their own serial range, but a few were numbered in the '92 range. Your serial number is definitely in the Model 53 range (the second year serial numbers ended around 4350). Mine's a one piece and its serial number is 1494. Madis indicates this is an early second year serial number, but actual polishing room records indicate that this was a first year gun.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

GREEN WITH ENVY...BEAUTIES :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Green with envy is right. Kirk always seems to come up with the nicest pieces. Dog gone Canook, Eh.
Old Law Dawg
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Gorgeous Rifles - You are fortunate indeed :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

1886 wrote:Stop please . You are killing me. 1886.
+1 :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Great Pictures - reminds me that I have to start saving my $$ again for another 92 or something similar :D
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

KirkD wrote:
kimwcook wrote:Hey Kirk, I didn't think about it sooner when you said you were going to send me that '92 that you needed my address. PM me and I'll send it to you. :mrgreen:
I sure wish I had a warehouse full that I could send to everyone! :D
You do, in the form of the calendar. I await nirvana...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another reason why Kirk is our resident "Desktop Artiste" - and historian!!! :D
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Beautiful.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

RIHMFIRE wrote:GREEN WITH ENVY...BEAUTIES :mrgreen:
+1 :mrgreen:

Great post. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Handsome rifles and wonderful photography! You have a wealth of knowledge and impeccable taste...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
bearman
Levergunner

Post by bearman »

Kirk, Those are absolutley GORGEOUS!!!!
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Good post and great pics as always Kirk! Put me on the list when you go sending out those 92's....Steve. :)