Bought another Rossi 92, today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Bought another Rossi 92, today.

Post by Lefty Dude »

I was in my local toy store last Month and spyed a nice 92 on the used Gun rack. It was hardly used, not a bad action and someone did some trigger work to the piece. This is the LSI Puma, Rossi carbine. Had a price of $399.00 on the hang tag. I told the Owner, who is also a Friend that since it was a 44 caliber Mag. that I might be interested and if it was still there the next time I was in the store, well we might just have to sit down and talk price.

Today I stopped in to see what new toys they might have for me to look-see. The 92 / 44 was still there. Well we had a chat, and I got the Carbine for $350.00. He has a payment plan of 90 days. SOooooooo----- the middle of September I will get the piece and see how it shoots. It is hot here and I do not do much shooting in the Summer time. I was at the range yesterday morning early at 7:30AM the temp was 85degrees and when I left at 11:30 it was over 100. The Range is on Summer Hours 7:00am till 1:00 Pm closes and then opens again later in the afternoon.

I would like this 92 to feed 44 specials, If it has a problem of any type it will make the trip to South East Tejas. There the Master will do his work.

Steve, you will see this piece in the Spring of 2009. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bought another Rossi 92, today.

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats! I was going to give you grief over no pics- but you don't have it yet... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

When I get it I will post Pix's of a Double Combo. I have another 92 in 44-40, and a Pair of Colts from the custom shop in 44-40 with seperate cylinders in 44 special. :wink:
SASS# 51223

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool! 8) Well, the gun anyway. Over 100 degrees? NOT COOL! :roll:
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Cool! 8) Well, the gun anyway. Over 100 degrees? NOT COOL! :roll:
Thanks, I hope it is a good shooter :wink:

The Weather man on the news just announced the temp. at 10:00 Pm, Just a warm 101 degrees. :roll:
SASS# 51223

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats on the new PUMA 8) !Not much outdoor shooting here either due to the temp and the humidity.Nothing like a slippery rifle due to the humidity and sweat in your eyes.I am fortunate that a local indoor range allows Rifles in any Pistol and Rimfire calibers !Ahh air conditioning :D !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Congrats on the future addition. My dad lives in Sun City, AZ and I can't believe the temps he tells me. It would be just miserable to do anything for any real amount of time outside.
Old Law Dawg
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Three Months of the Year, Suck. However the other nine Months are like Heaven.
And we have no cyclones, Hurricanes,earthquakes, & floods.
SASS# 51223

Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

You did well! A couple years back, I got a like-new Rossi 92 SRC in .357 for only $250 and having had and shot this gun - I'd say it's easily worth a hundred more -so I'd bag a .44 for $350 in a heartbeat...
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

Lefty Dude wrote:I was in my local toy store last Month and spyed a nice 92 on the used Gun rack. It was hardly used, not a bad action and someone did some trigger work to the piece. This is the LSI Puma, Rossi carbine. Had a price of $399.00 on the hang tag. I told the Owner, who is also a Friend that since it was a 44 caliber Mag. that I might be interested and if it was still there the next time I was in the store, well we might just have to sit down and talk price.

Today I stopped in to see what new toys they might have for me to look-see. The 92 / 44 was still there. Well we had a chat, and I got the Carbine for $350.00. He has a payment plan of 90 days. SOooooooo----- the middle of September I will get the piece and see how it shoots. It is hot here and I do not do much shooting in the Summer time. I was at the range yesterday morning early at 7:30AM the temp was 85degrees and when I left at 11:30 it was over 100. The Range is on Summer Hours 7:00am till 1:00 Pm closes and then opens again later in the afternoon.

I would like this 92 to feed 44 specials, If it has a problem of any type it will make the trip to South East Tejas. There the Master will do his work.

Steve, you will see this piece in the Spring of 2009. :wink:

Do you wish it to shoot factory .44 Specials or your own reloads ?

On reloads ( I am assuming you are using cast lead ) , can you seat the bullet to .44 Mag OAL to make it feed OK ?

For years I have cast SWC's for my wheel guns . My new collection of pistol caliber lever guns do not seem to like SWC's .

They feed RNL or RNFP bullets slick as can be . Which is not surprising , as that was what the origional lever guns were designed for .

Bought a Lee 6 cavity RNL mold for myn Marlin .44 Mag .

Was lucky enough to have 2 .45 molds , one RN ( for .45 ACP ) and the other RNFP ( for .45 LC ) .

Thinking about a RN mold for a M92 converted to .357 Mag .

God bless
Wyr
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Do you wish it to shoot factory .44 Specials or your own reloads ?

On reloads ( I am assuming you are using cast lead ) , can you seat the bullet to .44 Mag OAL to make it feed OK ?

For years I have cast SWC's for my wheel guns . My new collection of pistol caliber lever guns do not seem to like SWC's .

They feed RNL or RNFP bullets slick as can be . Which is not surprising , as that was what the origional lever guns were designed for .

Bought a Lee 6 cavity RNL mold for myn Marlin .44 Mag .

Was lucky enough to have 2 .45 molds , one RN ( for .45 ACP ) and the other RNFP ( for .45 LC ) .

Thinking about a RN mold for a M92 converted to .357 Mag .

God bless
Wyr[/quote]

I will be shooting my own reloads. I use laser-cast 240 gr SWC's. I have had success with the 240 SWC's in my Rossi 92 44-40. I was surprised it would do a reliable & smooth feed. So I am hopping they will also be successful in the 92 44 mag./special. If not I will use a RNFP. I had a Marlin 94CB 44 that did not like the SWC's, and I used RNFP's.

My 92 44-40 carbine is very accurate, My Son won a long range Cowboy Side match last Month. The target was a 16" steel plate that was at 200 yards. He had 7 hits out of 10. This was with the standard sights shooting over X sticks in the sitting position. This was with the 240 gr SWC under 6.7 gr. unique. This is an Alliant load from there phamplet. This load Crono's at 1050fps from my 20" carbine barrel. And the Cartridge overall length is 1.625", this is long for a 44-40. And it feeds very well.

Some 44's feed and cycle SWC's well other's do not.
SASS# 51223