For the Reloaders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

For the Reloaders

Post by Bigahh »

Guys I have a precious Wisconsin Black Bear Tag for this upcoming Fall. At best you get one every 5 -10 years. I plan on using my Black Widow Recurve Bow for the hunt, but will take a 30-30 for back up.I have been working up a real good load for my 30-30 with 170 grain Nosler Partitions, as I want a tough bullet. I am getting very good groups with Varget. My question is....The Hornady manual does not list Varget as an adequate Powder in it's manual for 170 grain Flat Points. Can I still try it with Hornady Bullets, or is this a NO_NO if the powder is not listed? It is also listed in the Speer manual for their Bullets, and I believe Sierra also.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: For the Reloaders

Post by Andrew »

Good question.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

the big thing with "interchange-ability" is bearing length,and
jacket thickness.
hornady's usually have a shorter bearing length.
i would just start at the bottom soggested charge
keep an eye on how deep the bullet goes into the case
if the hornady's go much deeper then the one you normally use this is not good.
i doubt it will be that big of a change though.
this is like loading for a rifle with a short throat you have to seat the bullets deeper so you will have to lower your charge as you just lowered your case capacity..
start at the bottom and work up..
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I can't think of any reason the two bullets couldn't be interchangeable using the same data. Nosler Partition, Hornaday Interlock, Speer Hot-Cor, and Sierra Game King 170 grain bullets can all use the same data. They are all copper alloy jacketed bullets with a lead core.

If Varget gives you good groups and you're obtaining the velocities you want and the load is safe, then Varget is an adequate powder.

All of the manuals use a limited amount of powder and cannot cover all of the powders available - whether they are adequate or not.

When you get a few extra dollars, pick up a copy of Lee's reloading manual. They combine most of the loads from all of the major manuals on the market in one easy to read volume. Better yet, download a copy of Hodgdon's reloading manual - it free and it lists Varget for both 150 and 170 grain weights.

Have fun.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Big issues are bearig length and crimp groove location. Match those up on another 170 grainer that does list Varget.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

You did not mention the other components you are using but if you start at 29grs of Varget and work up until you achieve about 2150-2200fps. At this velocity you will be using about 32-33grs and achieve a loading density of 95%. This will be your max. load and pressures will be running around 40,000 cup. Varget is my favorite powder for the .30-30. My Marlin CB .30-30 really runs on Varget. It is equally good with jacketed or cast. Good Luck. 1886.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

All partitioned bullets are harder to "engrave" with rifling than standard jacketed bullets. WAEBE (with all else being equal) the partitioned bullets , regardless of brand, can be used with the same powders as stnd'd bullets but MUST be worked up to from starting loads.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I am using VArget more and more in all my reloading .
Currently in 30-30. I am using it in cast loads RCBS 180 FP GC using 30 grains for very nice accuracy and about 1950 fps ( good black bear medicine )
I also load the Barnes 150 Tripple shock FP for one of my 30-30s using FEDERAL cases and 34 grains of Varget . I can not get any more Varget into federal cases. I have sen two published articles saying 36 grains of Varget with that bullet in 30-30 but have not tried it as yet in any other cases that have more capacity.
Actually I have plans tonight to load that bullet in some Remington cases with 35 , and 35.5 grains to see how it works in a 30-30 H&R Handi rifle im doing some experimenting with . If they work and pressure is OK then I will go up to 36 and see what happens .
I have read numerous tests in published works about this bullet penetrating deeper than any other 30-30 bullet.
If it were for bear I would go with that bullet or the RCBs cast I mentioned above Mine W/ gas check and lube weigh in at 195 grains . they DO penetrate .
I also tested Varget in some loads with light bullets in 30-30 and with the Speer 130 FP I got very nice results in two different 30-30 rifles . I have not done any real loading since the initial tests and have gone back to heavier bullets in all three 30-30s. I have found Varget to be very similar to H4895 but usually gives slightly better accuracy with lower pressure and its not as heat sensitive as H4895 .
Funny anecdote to this ;
In 1986 I went on a Archery only hunt in upper Ontario for bear . We did take along one rifle among three of us JUST IN CASE . We decided on a Win 94 in 30-30 because it was a gun all three were familiar with and coud use in a moments notice .
The guy supplying the gun bought up three boxes of ammo JUST IN CASE . We in fact did wound a bear just before dark and in an area where we did not want to wait till morning to go look for him. I was elected to carry the rifle and on opening the boxes found two to be filled with only empty brass and the other to have all empties but two old loaded rounds each with a different bullet( could have been 150s and could have been 170s Who knows ?)
An y way the bear was dead when we found it. My self and the other guy were using traditional equipment the guy who wounded the bear was using a compound so he got the razz from us for that > he was also the guy who had supplied the rifle and had never checked the boxes of ammo he grabbed prior to leaving .
IM just glad I never had to take a shot with a gun I had never fired with two rouds of ammo I had no idea what it was .
Hope this helps
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yes, you can use Varget - the Nosler manual isn't going to show all powders that you can use. Use the data in the Speer manual and start with a reduced load and work up slowly - chronograph is your pest friend - stop when the velocity is proper for the bullet.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!