Cast Boolit for .45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EastKY_DO
Levergunner

Cast Boolit for .45-70

Post by EastKY_DO »

Hello All,

I'm the owner of a brand new Mralin 1895 in .45-70 and am wondering if the Lee 405gr RNFP-HB bullet is a good choice for all around use. I don't plan to load any cartridges with black powder and I'm curious if the hollow base provides any advantage or disadvantage over the 405gr plain base bullet.

Any tips and pointers appreciated.

Doc
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cast Boolit for .45-70

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question. Be patient though and someone will.
Old Law Dawg
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have shot the LEE im my current Marlin and one I previously owned its a good bullet and a good "Do all "Bullet .
But I would recomend HIGHLY the "RANCH DOG " 425 or his 360 bullet made with Lee molds .
I have recently purchased that 425 and it casts very well and shoots well in the first rifle I have tested it in .
His molds are specificly designed for Marlins and I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have another in mind but cant get it til august ( its his 360 grainer ). I have one of his 360 molds for the 357 /35Rem/358 Win etc it casts nicely and it works well in the 357 mag I shoot and I am trying it in the 358
Win next
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

OH SORRY :oops: I didnt notice at first it was your first post !!
WELCOME TO THE FORUM :D
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

+1 on the Ranch Dog recommendation
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
EastKY_DO
Levergunner

Post by EastKY_DO »

Thanks for the tips. I like the look of the Ranch Dog bullets on his website. Do they shoot okay if you leave off the gas check? I was initially looking for something really cheap, to shoot without sizing, just tumble lube and load.

BTW, thanks for the welcome.

Doc
Last edited by EastKY_DO on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome to the fire.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

welcome to the forum!!!
I have cast the 405HB Lee bullet and used it in My 1895 (1972) Marlin and it borders on too long when crimped in the proper position. Could be just my rifle although it shoots well.
I file the sprue flat and check the overall length to insure they will feed.
Win92
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I asked about the same question a while back.

The 330gr Lyman 457122 HP (Gould) is the "Classic". I shoot it the most - and I like Iron molds better than aluminium for casting. Personal Preference. It tumble lubes fine.

But I also have the Ranch Dog Tumble Lube 425 GC to push hard and fast.

Get one of each. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The 45-70 is a wonderful cast bullet round, and the Marlin leverguns is a first class rifle. I have been shooting cast bullets through various 45-70s since about 1959. When all of the talk and opinions have been expressed, you will be best served with a gas check bullet for all around use and ease of finding a highly accurate load at a wide spread of velocities.

The RCBS 405 GC bullets will deliver top notch accuracy and will feed very slick in the Marlin when the case is crimped in the crimp groove.

Quality wise, ease of casting and long term value, RCBS molds beat the Lee molds seven ways from breakfast.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I agree with Charles, that RCBS mold is hard to beat. My Marlin shoots them into very small groups through a very wide velocity range. I have shot them from 1100 to 1950 fps and the group size does not change to speak of. I have pretty much settled on the heavier RCBS bullet for my stout loads and use the Lyman 457122 HP for light stuff. I made another pin for that mold so it produces just a flat nose if I choose.
NRA Life Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I first started casting it was for my Marlin 1895CB , and like you I wanted it as simple as possible .

So I got the Lee 340 and 405 grain PB moulds . I wouldn't size and I would tumble lube . And I might add they shot well enough for me !

Later I got a Lyman 457122HP , now that bulet at about 330 grains and sized in a .459" sizer and lubed with Thompsn's Blue Angel is the Hammer of Thor in my 1895CB .

I have since become an advocate of the entire Ranch Dog group of bullets . And I can attest to the accuracy of the 350 and 425 grainers . I have shot them well in my 1895CB as well as a 1978 vintage 1895 that I purchased from a member of this forum .

My CB is ballard rifled and the circa 1978 rifle is micro grooved and they both handle the RD bullets well !

I might also say I use XMP5744 almost exclusively now , however there is virtually nothing wrong with SR4759 in the 45-70 either !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If you decide you want to try the Ranch Dog bullets , you might order one of his .460" sizers as well !

You could get both his moulds and the sizer for about $70 plus shipping . And if you use his method you can use the Lee Liquid Alox as well !

I am partial to sizing in a pair of Lyman 4500's with heaters attached , but I will admit that I also have Lee sizers in just about all sizes needed for the Ranch Dog bullets .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The two Ranch Dog hammers :wink:

Another of the Ranch Dog 44 and 45 cal bullets along with the Lyman 330 grain HP !

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I would have to agree with Charles and others that a gas check bullet is hard to beat in the accuracy department. However, I like to prepare for the day when I cannot get gas checks. For that reason, I've chosen to go with plain base moulds in everything but the 30-30 and my 25-20, which pretty much demand GC's. I find I have to experiment and work harder to get groups that are as good as, or close to as good as, GC bullets, but it can be done. In my books, if I can get 5-shot, 2" groups at 100 yards with a plain base bullet, I've got my load. As far as 45-70 moulds, I only have the 500 grain SAECO mould for my Trapdoor thus far, but will be looking for a lighter bullet for my '86's.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

KirkD wrote:I would have to agree with Charles and others that a gas check bullet is hard to beat in the accuracy department. However, I like to prepare for the day when I cannot get gas checks. For that reason, I've chosen to go with plain base moulds in everything but the 30-30 and my 25-20, which pretty much demand GC's. I find I have to experiment and work harder to get groups that are as good as, or close to as good as, GC bullets, but it can be done. In my books, if I can get 5-shot, 2" groups at 100 yards with a plain base bullet, I've got my load. As far as 45-70 moulds, I only have the 500 grain SAECO mould for my Trapdoor thus far, but will be looking for a lighter bullet for my '86's.
Of course, if you've got a GC mould you can always ream it out to make a Plain Base... It's harder to do the other way around. :wink:

But I like the Lyman Gould for GP. 330gr seems just about right, needs minimal sizing and lubes up fine with Liquid Alox.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks all for the info, can’t wait to try some of the loads this fall. Welcome EastKY_DO from another new guy (Fun New Guy).
It is not the critic who counts
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

The HB mold casts a larger bullet than the other lee molds . This has been a great help for me and my Marlin .45-70 .

Last batch was high % Linotype . My cousin took the .457" push through sizing die and honed it out to .460" . Lubed with either LLA or JPW , they shot much better sized to .460" .

God bless
Wyr

God bless
Wyr
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

First, welcome aboard!

Second, I load quite a few .45-70's with various cast bullets, but never use gas checks for my period rifles. I fear, even a gas check will eventually pay a toll on the soft iron used in 1873 or so. I have had very good luck using 405 grain plain (they drop at .458", too small for the Trapdoors with BP, but will work with BP in the '86 Win and replicas))base LFN's with around 29 grains of H4198 out of all my .45-70's from original '73 Trapdoors, '85 High Wall, '75 Sharps, '81 Hotchkiss, and '86 Winchester to a bunch of repica's. Depending on the rifle they'll sling from 1200 fps to 1350 fps.

Now, that being said, I also use the Lee 459-405HB. It drops at 435 grains and roughly .4605" diameter, I resize to either .459 or .460(Trapdoors and Hotchkiss). I also load these with BP and out of my Trapdoor rifle, they'll do right at 1440fps all day loaded with 62 grains of FFg and a .030 Veggie wad. Out of my '86 Win (sized .459") with same load, they go out around 1350 fps. Personally I recommend this mould...it sure made a believer out of me!