Colt 45 -What Bullet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
popeye44
Levergunner

Colt 45 -What Bullet?

Post by popeye44 »

I love Colts. Any Colt. I have 45's in both revolver and pistol. My question. Is there one bullet that I could load for
both 45Colt and 45ACP?
Thank You
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Colt 45 -What Bullet?

Post by samsi »

It depends what you want to do with 'em.

I've loaded the H&G 200 SWC in the Colt and the ACP for range work, and a buddy of mine used to use the 230 FMJ in both - I've even used some 255 SWC's in the ACP. Like I said, it all depends......
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The four on the right work in my .45 Colt SAAs and my 1911s. The far right one, required a little more ramp work in the semi.

They are, from the right: LBT WFN 185gr., Speer Gold Dot 200 gr., Rucker 200gr RFN, RBCS 45-225-CAV 225gr.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Oregon Trail (Lasercast) 250 grain round nose flat point bullets work great in both my 45 Colt and 45 ACP. The loaded bullet in the ACP feeds great and gives good accuracy - and shoots to point of aim for my fixed sight pistols. The velocity is 800 fps and it is a great protection round for the woods - will penetrate deep. I use W231.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I've had fairly reasonable results using Hornady's 200 gr roundnosed swaged bullet in both colt cartridges.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I've used both 454424 and Lee's 255 SWC in both with pretty good results.
Although the Keith bullet does take up quite a bit of room in the ACP case along with bulges from the base.

Byron
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I use 230 gr copper plated swaged bullets from Berrys and Rainier, and Alberts swaged lead 230 gr bullets (NOS stuff from the 80s when Alberts went belly-up. I have a little over 23,000 I bought from an Alberts distributor back then) in my 45 ACP pistols and revolvers, and my 45 Colt revolvers and rifles. Great performance from both.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: The four on the right work in my .45 Colt SAAs and my 1911s. The far right one, required a little more ramp work in the semi.

They are, from the right: LBT WFN 185gr., Speer Gold Dot 200 gr., Rucker 200gr RFN, RBCS 45-225-CAV 225gr.

Griff,
You sure got those babies all polished up! :D Is your KW (or is it a Pete?) that shiney?----------Sixgun

Oh, the bullets------if the diameter fits and I can crimp it, I'll shoot it.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
Griff wrote:The four on the right work in my .45 Colt SAAs and my 1911s. The far right one, required a little more ramp work in the semi.
Griff,
You sure got those babies all polished up! :D Is your KW (or is it a Pete?) that shiney?----------Sixgun
It's what happens when you leave that brass in the tumbler till the motor burns up! :oops: & Yep!

Looks wet, doesn't it?

Still waitin' to get to Joplin to pick it up. The wife hasn't turned loose of the funds yet! Wal-Mart must be having a sale! :mrgreen: Actually, I'm waiting on a quote to get the steps and wheel anodized black. The graphics are going to include the name across the back in Red trimmed in gold: The Black Rose with a pennant waving in the breeze on the front of the roof air dam displaying the "Jolly Roger"!

From the front:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!