Pistol grip to straight grip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Pistol grip to straight grip

Post by Palmtreee »

Called Marlin today to get a trigger guard plate for the pistol grip to straight grip conversion that I am going to do to my Marlin 410. I was informed that they do not sell the part and the gun has to be sent to Marlin for the conversion. Anyone know where I could get the part?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Most such acquisitions seem to be done by trade. It is easier to get a pistol grip for a straight grip than the other way around. USUALLY, traders get all three necessary parts, trigger plate, lever and buttstock in the trade.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Did you ask them how much to convert it?, their prices for work seem very reasonable.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

You could do it yourself as long as the serial numbers not under the lever.
Just get a straight stock & file or grind the lower tang to it then blue it.
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

4t5 wrote:Did you ask them how much to convert it?, their prices for work seem very reasonable.
$300 bucks was the price. Way to steep in my book.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Then, assuming you already have a lever and butt-stock since you didn't mention needing them, slide the straight butt onto the gun with the PG trigger plate in place. Scribe a line even with the stock surface and file or grind or mill the trigger plate to the line and refinish. Viola. It has been done before.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Thank you for the replies, I think looking for a trade is my best option.
blackfly
Levergunner

Post by blackfly »

If your search doesn't turn up what your looking for then you might give some more thought to what Hobie speaks of as it's a lot easier then it sounds. I did one for a friend last year and after cutting and smoothing he was able to have just the trigger plate reblued at a local shop. The shop added it to the tank where they were doing other pieces and charged him $40. Came out nice and he's tickled.

You might want to take a look at arborman's sticky over on Marlinowners as he does it up with pictures in the Reference section.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 936.0.html

Keep at it cause you'll really like it when your done.

blackfly
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks for the link Blackfly.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Palmtreee wrote:
4t5 wrote:Did you ask them how much to convert it?, their prices for work seem very reasonable.
$300 bucks was the price. Way to steep in my book.
At that rate - I'd be looking to simply add another gun to my collection... What could be better than having both? :D
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!