1895- first time at the range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Levergunner 2.0

1895- first time at the range

Post by .45 »

Took my new to me 1895 to the range yesterday. Didn't have any reloads made up yet, but I really needed to fire this gun. Used 405 gr Black Hills Ammo. Started with a 3 shot, and then a 5 shot group, both at 50 yards.
Will get some of Ranch Dogs bullets cast and put some Benchmark behind them and see how it does.

As a bonus to getting good results with the 45/70 I also got to shoot some custom 1911"s. As I was getting ready to leave a guy by the name of Bob Marvell pulled in. Bob owns Marvell Custom Guns. He was there to test some new 1911's he had just finished. I had never fired a 1911 and never new what all the fuss was about. Well I do now!!

Just another great day at the range!!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

pretty nice groups...
now you need to reach out and touch something
with the 45-70...
5 months til hunting season
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I couldn't tell - was it the "regular" or the "cowboy" model?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

AJMD429 wrote:I couldn't tell - was it the "regular" or the "cowboy" model?
Regular. 1972 model I believe, unfired until yesterday. :D
Curiousgb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Curiousgb »

Scary how accurate they are. With scope mine will shoot an honest inch 3 shot group at 100yrds. Only problem is that it beats the snot out of me. I am experimenting with different powders to reduce felt recoil.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Nice groups, minute of elk for sure. I just wanna know how you did so well shooting upside down on the one target.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats that rifle shows potential :D !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

sore shoulder wrote: I just wanna know how you did so well shooting upside down on the one target.
I was laying on my back. Doesn't everyone do that? :lol:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

That is a very good start with a very good rifle. With the right loads, that rifle will shoot groups half that size. It look to me like you have some verticle stringing. Did you run the rounds through the magazine? If so, that might account for the stringing.

These Marlin 45-70 will do their best cast bullet work with bullets at least .460 in diameter.

My Marlin 1895SS will shoot five shot 50 yard groups of 1" to 1.25" with the RCBS 405GC bullet over 26/4759
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Rounds were loaded 1 at a time. Had the rear sight a low as it would go and was still hitting high, almost off the paper. I was aiming at the bottom of the black circle, or at least trying. Will try some 350gr Ranch Dogs this weekend and see what happens. They will be sized .460.