PHX Gun Show tale

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Yanqui
Levergunner

PHX Gun Show tale

Post by Yanqui »

I happened to be at the gun show here in Phoenix this past weekend looking for a SAA and heard a little bird squeek. I started talking to this one person who after a while I found out works for S&W. I was checking out a dealers SAA's and I started talking to this one guy next to me. We talked about guns, politics and SAA in general. Now I'm not sure if any of you really know this but S&W is now owned by Saf-T-Hammer out of Scottsdale, Arizona. They changed their name to Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation. Anyway I told him my story of why I was looking for SAA and of my discontent with some. I asked why didn't S&W have a SAA. He just smiled at me and winked and said don't be surprised if you see one. I hope he wasn't messing with me.

I'm glad that S&W has an AR15 and the 1911 in their line. I also asked him why didn't they have a more affordable 1911. He didn't have an answer. Now Remington and Charles Daly have an AR15's too.

But I did put (2) USFA SAA Rodeo's in 45 Colt on lay-a-way. $460.00 each

Well, you all have a nice day.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Muy Interesante! And Congrats on the Rodeo's! :P
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Sehr Interresant :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats on the Rodeos :D !S&W reply was interesting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It seems like they're a little late in the game now. they should have jumped in about two or three years ago.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Didn't S&W already try the market with Schofields?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Yanqui
Levergunner

Post by Yanqui »

It's never to late to get into the game. Besides how many companies are out there now offering the 1911 and the AR15? How many 1911's and AR15's do we need? And why can't Rock River Arms, Kimber, S&W and others offer a basic affordable 1911 without all the bells and whistles that some of us will never need?

The Schofields? I don't know. There's been quite a few repoductions of various revolvers from the past but none seemed really to equal the romance of the Colt SAA.

Do you know what I really like about the 2 USFA Rodeo's I'm getting? They have the caliber designation of 45 Colt stamped on it, not 45 Cal. Now that's class.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Yanqui: STI has a 1911 - the Spartan for about 600 bucks that looks good.
JJ_Miller
Shootist

Post by JJ_Miller »

Yeah, but would you buy a SAA with that %$%# lock on the sideplate ???????????.....................................JJ
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Yanqui, I think Springfield makes what you want. I have a milspec that has only a few mods like ported ejection port, mainspring housing swell, and thats about it. Thier GI model is exactly what you are asking for.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=1
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Yanqui
Levergunner

Post by Yanqui »

There's a SAA that has a %$%# lock on the sideplate? Hmm I'd never seen such a thing. Do you happen to have a picture of one or maybe own one? I'd like to see it.

STI has a 1911 eh? I'll check it out.
Yanqui
Levergunner

Post by Yanqui »

Springfield does make a sweet looking 1911. Thanks.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

As far as the AR15, I can just about gauruntee S&W neither manufactures any parts, nor assembles them. With all the manufacturers out there, there would be no sound economic reason to. The lowers for almost every AR15 retailer out there are made by one company, Lewis Machine Tool, they simply run a lot with someones proprietary logo. For enough money you can have your own.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

yanqui said -"The Schofields? I don't know. There's been quite a few repoductions of various revolvers from the past but none seemed really to equal the romance of the Colt SAA"

I don't know - this is kinda romantic looking to me ...

natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Help ????????

Post by natedontgo »

How current is the info.re Saf-T-Hammer ?? I looked at todays published financial Info,and can't see anything re:"Saf.T.Hammer" Not listed as "Insider" with 5% holding,or anything else..info says Insiders & financial Institutions own 49% of shares,but suspect that a ton of those shares have been laid off after the collapse in stock price,and not reported yet by the prev.institutional holders.. Company is selling more stock to the public !!----Nate :shock:
Yanqui
Levergunner

Re: Help ????????

Post by Yanqui »

natedontgo wrote:How current is the info.re Saf-T-Hammer ?? I looked at todays published financial Info,and can't see anything re:"Saf.T.Hammer" Not listed as "Insider" with 5% holding,or anything else..info says Insiders & financial Institutions own 49% of shares,but suspect that a ton of those shares have been laid off after the collapse in stock price,and not reported yet by the prev.institutional holders.. Company is selling more stock to the public !!----Nate :shock:
On May 11, 2001, Saf-T-Hammer Corporation acquired Smith & Wesson Corp. from Tomkins PLC for US$15 million, a fraction of the US$112 million originally paid by Tomkins. Saf-T-Hammer also assumed US$30 million in debt, bringing the total purchase price to US$45 million.[4][5] Saf-T-Hammer, a manufacturer of gun locks and other firearms safety products, purchased the company with the intention of incorporating its line of security products into all Smith & Wesson firearms in compliance with the 2000 agreement.

The acquisition of Smith & Wesson was chiefly brokered by Saf-T-Hammer President Bob Scott, who had left Smith & Wesson in 1999 because of a disagreement with Tomkins’ policies. After the purchase, Scott became the president of Smith & Wesson to guide the 157-year-old company back to its former standing in the market.

On February 15, 2002, the name of the newly formed entity was changed to Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation
Yanqui
Levergunner

Post by Yanqui »

sore shoulder wrote:As far as the AR15, I can just about gauruntee S&W neither manufactures any parts, nor assembles them. With all the manufacturers out there, there would be no sound economic reason to. The lowers for almost every AR15 retailer out there are made by one company, Lewis Machine Tool, they simply run a lot with someones proprietary logo. For enough money you can have your own.
I would have to agree that S&W does not manufacturer the AR15 they sell. But neither does Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Remington, Charles Daly, Doublestar, and countless others.

I have a list of manufacturers that make lowers for various companies. I see if I can locate it.

Okay, here is a partial list.

Lewis Machine & Tool; LMT, Lauer, DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Armalite, Knights Armament, Barrett
Continental Machine Tool; Stag, Rock River Arms, High Standard,
Noveske, Century (New), Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI, Wilson Tactical,
Grenadier Precision, Colt
LAR Manufacturing; LAR, Bushmaster, Ameetec, DPMS, CMMG,
Double Star, Fulton Armory, Spike's Tactical
JVP; Double Star, LRB
Mega Machine Shop; Mega, GSE, Dalphon, POF, Alexander Arms
Olympic; Olympic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford,
Century (Old)
Sun Devil; Sun Devil forged billet receivers
Superior; Superior Arms
Last edited by Yanqui on Tue May 20, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yanqui
Levergunner

Post by Yanqui »

JimT wrote:yanqui said -"The Schofields? I don't know. There's been quite a few repoductions of various revolvers from the past but none seemed really to equal the romance of the Colt SAA"

I don't know - this is kinda romantic looking to me ...

Yeah, I would have to agree it's a beauty and kinda sexy too!!

In the picture there's a sideplate just beneath the hammer. Is that the sideplate lock thing that JJ was referring to? I don't know but it looks pretty nice to me. No need to %$%# about it.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Yanqui, are you being dense or trying to be funny or what?

S&W sold out to the Clinton gun ban bunch several years ago. They now have a manual keyed lock on their double action revolvers. A stupid ugly thing that serves no purpose other then makes the lawyers happy.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Yanqui
Levergunner

Post by Yanqui »

MikeS. wrote:Yanqui, are you being dense or trying to be funny or what?

S&W sold out to the Clinton gun ban bunch several years ago. They now have a manual keyed lock on their double action revolvers. A stupid ugly thing that serves no purpose other then makes the lawyers happy.
I believe the answer is "what." Do you really want to get into sell outs? Okie dokie, let's see Colt Industries sold out by pulling the AR15 off the market for civilian sales when Heir Bush senior banned the import of assault weapons back in 1989 with his executive order. Fortunetely Colt Firearms split from Colt Industries and brought back the AR15 with a few modifications. Then a whole bunch of manufacturers who basically made sporting and hunting weapons banded together, including Ruger, sold out to the Clintons with the Assault Weapons Ban. I have a copy of the original weapons ban before it finally went to the floor. Jim Crews(Marksman Enterprises) sent me a copy of it. There were quite of bit of backdoor deals going on. The NRA was also deeply involved in this. Basically the whole gun industry except for a few hold outs sold out. Now the S&W deal was made when the company was owned by the british firm. Unfortunetely when Saf-T-Hammer bought S&W they also bought the deal.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Yanqui, I'm glad to see you know our history. Thanks for reminding me of all the sell outs.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Yanqui
Levergunner

Post by Yanqui »

MikeS. wrote:Yanqui, I'm glad to see you know our history. Thanks for reminding me of all the sell outs.
I'm glad to be of help. It helps to remember our history so hopefully it will not repeat itself.