Peep/Ghost Ring Sights for Puma 357?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
November
Levergunner

Peep/Ghost Ring Sights for Puma 357?

Post by November »

Anyone know of a manufacturer of peep or ghost ring rear sights for a Rossi/Puma .357? Thanks.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I bought one from Taurus for their slide action rifle for one of my .357 Pumas. It worked perfectly. Copy of a marbles sight, but very affordable.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/tangsight.cfm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Which model fit the Puma? Did you have to D&T it?
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I used 5-6273, and had to drill one hole.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
November
Levergunner

Post by November »

Oops. I should have been more specific. I mean the kind that replaces the rear buckhorn leaf sight. That Marbles copy is nice, though.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

A peep sight out on the barrel will be too far from your eye to work properly.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

But what model tang sight fits the factory D&T tang sight holes of the newer LSI Octagon Barrel Pumas. :?:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
November
Levergunner

Post by November »

I just remembered Steve Young had a picture of a ghost ring that he used to install on top of the Puma receiver, but I can't see the pic on his website now. That might be a way to go if he still does that work.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I'll heartily give a HUGE "thumbs up" on the Taurus tang sight. It's all metal and has positive adjustment "clicks". They can be "hard to find" (in stock) but, I got mine here for under $30->

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... a081a902e0
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Jeff Quinn wrote:A peep sight out on the barrel will be too far from your eye to work properly.
Not trying to start an arguement - but I mounted a Williams WGRS peep in the forward pair of scope-mount holes on my Marlin 1894c - and it's works just fine. Maybe the peep hole is larger than most?

Anyways, I used the front pair of mount holes because using the rear pair caused the sight to overhang the hammer..
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
arjay
Levergunner

Post by arjay »

I know what you mean - here is one
That setup is the Ashley XS Ghost ring. Legacy/Rossi/Win 92 - w/o ramp *1 *5-LG-0001-5- But it only works with the earlier Rossi’s that don’t have the ugly bolt top safety’s.
Unfortunately USA has restrictions preventin export to New Zealand so I have a contact in Australia that may have one.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Which model fit the Puma? Did you have to D&T it?
I think they sell it for their rifle model 62. I have one on each one of my four Puma's. The long/octagonal Pumas are already drilled and tapped, and the round carbine ones weren't. Easy to do, just be sure you center the hole and punch before drilling.

I recall the threads were metric on the guns, and so I had to make a trip to Ace for some screws and re-shape the heads of a couple long metric Allen-heads since the tang screws need to be longer to go through the sight also (so need replaced).

I can post a pic later this week if you're interested.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Jaguarundi wrote:But what model tang sight fits the factory D&T tang sight holes of the newer LSI Octagon Barrel Pumas. :?:
See my earlier post - I believe they call it model 62...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Slick wrote:
Jeff Quinn wrote:A peep sight out on the barrel will be too far from your eye to work properly.
Not trying to start an arguement - but I mounted a Williams WGRS peep in the forward pair of scope-mount holes on my Marlin 1894c - and it's works just fine. Maybe the peep hole is larger than most?

Anyways, I used the front pair of mount holes because using the rear pair caused the sight to overhang the hammer..
I did the same thing on my 1894 (front holes).

I also use a fold-down peep in the original rear sight dovetail as a 'backup' sight under my see-through scope rings, and find it is easy to use and accurate as a PRIMARY sight. At first I thought it shouldn't work, since it wasn't close enough to give the 'ghost' effect, but it DOES work for me (hitting 6" gongs at 100 yards becomes child's play). In a way, it makes sense, since the "notch" rear sight obviously can work when positioned there, and the "peep" in this case is just an easier to see and center "notch" - I do think perhaps the sight is being used differently by the eye, however, vs. a rearward aperture - but it DOES work for me!

November
Levergunner

Post by November »

arjay wrote:I know what you mean - here is one
That setup is the Ashley XS Ghost ring. Legacy/Rossi/Win 92 - w/o ramp *1 *5-LG-0001-5- But it only works with the earlier Rossi’s that don’t have the ugly bolt top safety’s.
Unfortunately USA has restrictions preventin export to New Zealand so I have a contact in Australia that may have one.

arjay, that's what I was lookin' for. I emailed Steve Young to see if he still does this work. I have the older Puma w/o safety, so I think this is something I'd like to do.
arjay
Levergunner

Post by arjay »

Good luck mate - I have just made contact with some Aussies who can probably get me one - I will know by the end of the week.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I've used a home made "peep" sight by soldering a plate to the open sight on a TC Renegade and drilling a large hole in it for about 30 years. I also have used the "One Ragged Hole" insert on a Winchester 94. They do work far, far better for me than the open sight I can't see. If you don't want a tang sight and don't want to d&t any holes, the Peep-on-the-barrel is a definite option that is very workable ... at least for me it was.