After action on Wanamacher

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

After action on Wanamacher

Post by M. M. Wright »

Had a great time with my two oldest sons. Huge crowd, no way I could see it all but there were about any old, or new, Winchesters you would want. Not a plethora of old Colts but I managed to gather up a couple of cowboy guns. You know, 4 3/4 inch barrel nickel, ivory grips, 45 from 1902 and a 4 3/4 inch FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER made in 1905. Blue/CC. Got the 44-40 cleaned up yesterday. The base pin was frozen in the cylinder but it and the bushing came out with mild persuation from my hydraulic press. I'm pretty sure the crud inside was original Colt grease that had turned to dirt. Visited with some old friends and made some new ones due to our new location.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: After action on Wanamacher

Post by Griff »

Image :twisted: :P :P :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's wrong to be jealous, I know, but I'd so love to have a 4.75 Frontier Six Shooter. :mrgreen:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

TC Contender 45 Colt and 410 Barrel.JPG
[attachment=0]I went Sunday. Prices were a lot more inline with reality this year in general then they have been in recent years. Ammo has settled down a little, Powder was a lot easier find, I even found some .22 shells at a fairly reasonable price. I bought several hundred rounds of loaded .300 Blackout, and also .223

I would have probably bought a Winchester Canadian Commemorative model 94 rife, or even carbine, as there were several scattered around the show, but since I had just recently bought a Buffalo Bill 94, I resisted the temptation.

What I did end up buying was BCG for one of my AR's because I had a cheap one I didn't like much in one of my guns at home, and I bought a TC Contender 45/410 barrel as I had sort of wanted one, for a while. I have been shooting those darned Carpenter Bees around the house with my Ruger single six and rat shot, and while I manage to kill several with it, I miss quite a few that I felt like I should have killed (probably due to a thin pattern), so I think I will try the 2.5 inch 410's but will probably experiment with some #12's out of some 444 Marlin brass which I believe will work out of that barrel and be cheaper to shoot, and probably provide a denser pattern.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I used to use 38 specials or 44 specials loaded with bird shot for carpenter bees.
I'd load a real light load of I can't remember, I'd make my own card wads by heavily chamfer a case mouth, whack it with a hammer, I'd use primer package cardboard for the wads. 1 over powder 1 over shot and give a heavy crimp. Either 9's or 8's did wonders on bees!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yep, I would think a light load of even bullseye would work ok, or better yet red dot.
NRA Life Member, Patron