'94 30/30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

'94 30/30

Post by aussie »

At the range today, the best result off the bench with my Winchester 94 30/30 was about 3" for a 3 shot group. My question is, what do you guys think I should do about altering the sight. Scope? Peep? I'm thinking the eyes aren't what they used to be. I had a scope on it for a while ( about a week) didn't like the look of it, but it certainly shot better groups. Just after a little feedback.

cheers.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Try a Peep sight with larger arperture. It looks right on the gun, doesn't affect handling characteristics, and is much more accurate once sighted in than the factory rear notch. If you are lucky, the rifle's already drilled and tapped for one, and you may not even have to change the front sight. Williams and Lyman both make excellent, click-adjustable models for Marlin and Winchester leverguns. I even had my Rossi 44 magnum rifle (a decent shooter as it was) drilled and tapped for a Lyman model 66 peep. I've never had any experience with the tang sights mounted on leverguns, but plenty of others have. Good luck. :)
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Aussie,

I'm with you. 62 year old eyes just don't work so good anymore and like you I've tried the scopes and peeps, but some how they just seem to ruin the beauty and tradition of an iron sighted lever gun. So, I've learned to accept my three inch groups, but improve my stalking skills.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

aussie,

You didn't say what range you shot that group with, but if it were 100 yards I wouldn't be too unhappy with it.
When I was shooting a lot with my 94 Winchesters, the average I'd do at 100 yds was 2" +/- a bit groups.

For a different sight picture I prefer a Williams or Lyman receiver sight and a post or sourdough front sight. I can't shoot with a peep sight if the rifle has a bead front sight. They just don't work for me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3" groups at 100 yds ain't too bad. But, it can be improved on... and a receiver or tang peep sight would still be a traditional sight and a definite improvement over the factory irons, for our older eyes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

Thanks for the advice fellas. Unfortunately the 3" group was at 50 yards.........now you know why I am disappointed. Sounds like the receiver peep might be the way to go.....worth a try anyway. Not too happy about putting a scope on it, however, having said that, I will if needs be.

cheers.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I shoot mine scoped mainly cos I shoot mostly in the dim hours, I'm use to seeing a scope now and it does still handle ok.
Nath.
[img][img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o65/ ... fox004.jpg[/img][/img]
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This young muley was taken with 94 Legasy and 170 grain Win Power Point ammo. Distance was approx 150 yards or so from steady rest. The buck reared up on its hind legs and pawed the air like a stallion. Then it fell over backwards and kicked a few time. The bullet was found balled up under the hide after destroying chest organs. Performance was as good as it gets.

Scope is a TASCO 2.5X shotgun scope that holds its zero nicely. I'll keep it until it fails.

This carbine will shoot into a 2 inch circle at 100 yards with any ammo.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

3"s at 100 yards isnt bad at all for Iron Sights! In reality its pretty darn good for old eyes! You may hear alot of talk about people claiming better, but I have seldom seen it done. As long as your shooting at medium size game I dont see the need to change it. If it were me, I would go to a peep or ghost ring sight on a lever before I went to a scope.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

aussie-1/3Minute of Pieplate=venison (1/3 minute of Buck ribs) at 100 yards will put meat in the freezer(well depends on the size of the freezer). 8) Works for me. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

Yeah fellas, you're right. This is never gonna be a target rifle and I never bought it as such. Guess I'll have to do a little more shooting with it and, after all, I use it as a hunter. Having said that, my Marlin 94 in 44mag and my Win Legacy in 45Colt both group better. Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

cheers.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Peep peep peep

Even if groups did not shrink, they are easier and faster for me.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

using a ghost ring can give you pretty large groups, unless you can orient your front sight the same way each time within the image. A smaller aperture is inherently more accurate, but creates problems with the amount of light you get.

I have globe fronts on most of my guns, and I try to make sure the ring of the globe is centered within the round image. If it is, the size of the rear aperture is not important. Once I had a bunch of Foster's cans with me (the 25 oz ones) and wanted to shoot them at 75 yards. Then I discovered I had forgotten my peep aperture. I had only the big ghost ring it screws into.

At first I couldn't hit anything, but once I started centering the ring of the globe front inside my ghost ring, I nailed one after the other. It gave me a reference for lining up front and back.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Tycer wrote:Peep peep peep

Even if groups did not shrink, they are easier and faster for me.
Me too - Here's the Williams 94/36 on my 94 - didn't even require any D/T

And on my Winchester 95 (D/T needed)-

And my BL22- FPGR - fits the grooves for scopes on rimfires - I've subsequently leveled it with the adjustment screws -

Jeff Cooper maintained larger apertures (ghost ring) didn't decrease accuracy and, once you get accustomed to focusing on the front sight and ignoring the ring, that's been my experience also - for 82 year old eyes. Somehow, the appearance of scopes on lever guns don't fit for me but, YMMV.

I even went to the XS ghost ring sight replacing the stock aperture half the size of the ghost ring on my M1A with very good results -

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER