Anyone do color hardening or annealing?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Anyone do color hardening or annealing?

Post by FatJackDurham »

Hi,

I am repairing a rolling block no. 2 receiver that had the tangs broken off an poorly re-welded. I am tig welding them back on, but I need to correct and reform some of the contour. I am noticing the difference between the new welded carbon steel and the previously hardened steel is causing some issues, and I am fighting warping on the parts.

I would like to anneal the receiver so that I can tig up and machine it back to proper dimensions using a mill without damaging my cutters on the case hardened original parts.

Does anyone have a heat treating oven that could anneal the receiver for me?

Thanks,
Steve
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone do color hardening or annealing?

Post by Pete44ru »

I would suggest you contact fellow board member Mike Hunter, who does some very nice alterations/repairs/restorations.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Al Springer at Snowy Mountain Restorations will anneal it for free if you use him to caseharden it later.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Thanks, both. I'll check them out.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Lee Shaver does nice case coloring too (very reasonably priced too), so he might be worth talking to as well.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Thanks.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

A good pile of charcoal with the part on top will anneal it. Light the charcoal and let it burn out and cool. Usually about twelve hours. I've used this technique before and it works well. Its easy to check afterwards, just run a file along a spot to see it skates or digs in.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

hondo1892 wrote:A good pile of charcoal with the part on top will anneal it. Light the charcoal and let it burn out and cool. Usually about twelve hours. I've used this technique before and it works well. Its easy to check afterwards, just run a file along a spot to see it skates or digs in.
I considered that, even getting some of the anti scaling past that Brownells sells, but I'd rather have a more experienced person do it.