CZ550FS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

CZ550FS

Post by 6pt-sika »

We had a guy come in the shop and order a CZ550FS in 6.5x55 a couple months ago . He's a fairly regular customer but the guns been sitting here waiting on him for about two months .

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-fs-6-5 ... fixed-mag/

I've been vascillating back and forth about a 550FS in 6.5x55 or 9.3x62 for a couple years now . Might just have to pony up the scheckels and take this one home since I already have brass dies and many many 6.5mm projectiles .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: CZ550FS

Post by 6pt-sika »

It most certainly isn't a Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA but then you can't get one of them in 6.5x55 Swede or for the price of this one . I'd still like to have an MCA in 30-06 , 270 or 308 with double set of course :wink:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

If I had to get 6.5 swede. That would be it. The drop of the comb works best for iron sights. I almost bought one years ago in 243, but bought the Ruger International instead because I ran across a deal on one.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Can you see the iron sights with a scope attached?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote:Can you see the iron sights with a scope attached?
Depends on the mount and I think the CZ rings have a hole thru them to allow it . But that's a moot point for me . I want a scope on that bad boy if I purchase it . Most likely an older Leupold Vari-XII in 2-7 or 3-9 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BenT wrote:If I had to get 6.5 swede. That would be it. The drop of the comb works best for iron sights. I almost bought one years ago in 243, but bought the Ruger International instead because I ran across a deal on one.
I had a Ruger 77RSI tang safety in 308 for awhile killed some deer with it but it never shot well enough to make me really fall for it and that was even after I had installed a new RifleBasix trigger sear to get the trigger to a consistent and manegable weight .
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have a CZ 452 and have shot a 550 Magnum on several occasions. While not much of a bolt gun man they are wonderful rifles. Both are great shooting rifles and the 6.5 Swede makes a bolt gun worthwhile. I'd grab it. Worst case you'll be able sell it without much, if any, loss.

Eric
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

yooper2 wrote:I have a CZ 452 and have shot a 550 Magnum on several occasions. While not much of a bolt gun man they are wonderful rifles. Both are great shooting rifles and the 6.5 Swede makes a bolt gun worthwhile. I'd grab it. Worst case you'll be able sell it without much, if any, loss.

Eric
Eric my gunsmith buddy owns 3 550's and 3 527's . He has 527's in 17 Hornet , 22 Hornet and 223 .

His 550's are all little ones :roll: :wink: A 375 H&H MAG a 416 Rigby and a 505 Gibbs . At the present he's shooting factory in the 375 and 22 Hornet and I load for the other four . I might add I am not a big fan of loading the 17 Hornet .
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

6pt-sika wrote:We had a guy come in the shop and order a CZ550FS in 6.5x55 a couple months ago . He's a fairly regular customer but the guns been sitting here waiting on him for about two months .

I assume you guys' gave him a ring or 2? --- I almost forgot about my recent Dan Wesson pistol pack layaway purchase ---- something somehow triggered my memory in time , ------ but it happens ---- I love firearms, but I am pulled in many different directions everyday , maybe this guy is the same way
----- Doug
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'm a CZ fan, but the 550's always seemed so darn heavy though.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Streetstar wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:We had a guy come in the shop and order a CZ550FS in 6.5x55 a couple months ago . He's a fairly regular customer but the guns been sitting here waiting on him for about two months .

I assume you guys' gave him a ring or 2? --- I almost forgot about my recent Dan Wesson pistol pack layaway purchase ---- something somehow triggered my memory in time , ------ but it happens ---- I love firearms, but I am pulled in many different directions everyday , maybe this guy is the same way
Yes when ever this guy orders anything we email him when it arrives .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It sounds worthwhile to me. If you get it, you need to try it on a moose there in Alaska. That way you can tell us if the 6.5x55 works on the Kevlar coated animals of today. It still works well in Europe, but the gun magazines sure think it is obsolete.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote:It sounds worthwhile to me. If you get it, you need to try it on a moose there in Alaska. That way you can tell us if the 6.5x55 works on the Kevlar coated animals of today. It still works well in Europe, but the gun magazines sure think it is obsolete.
I have a better idea ! If you wanna know you buy a 6.5x55 and you PAY to go up there and you shoot the Bullwinkle .
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I know 2 folks with the 550FS in 6.5 x55 and both are amazing shooters.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Two months? I would have to be on a heavy dosage of Valium to hold out for two months. :lol: I can't think of a better rifle for whitetail here in VA than that one and that's not even factoring in the classic style.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a keeper for sure. Only 6.5 X 55s I have had were Model 96 Mausers.
I did have a 550 in 9,3X62 some years back. I took it to Namibia in 2007 and my brother also used it on his critters.
Here it is. I am a considerably younger fella ...
:lol: :|

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

^^^^^ Bill, those horns are amazing, how long were they? Hope nothing happened to the guy, can't imagine ordering a rifle and not coming to get it!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Turtle, he was 54 inches -- a respectable bull by Namibian standards. I missed a shot at a bull that was missing one horn, but his other horn was close to 60 inches.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Does anyone know if these come with scope rings? A 6.5x55 is in my future. Thanks.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

.45colt wrote:Does anyone know if these come with scope rings? A 6.5x55 is in my future. Thanks.
Near as I can tell from Jerry's website and the CZ website they do not and a set of CZ rings retail will most likely set you back $75 .

The gun I may or may not get has the rings but I think we ordered them for the guy that originally wanted it .
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I couldn't afford to work at a gun store :!:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Tycer wrote:I couldn't afford to work at a gun store :!:

Yeah i know what you mean :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I can totally confirm the rings do not come with these rifles . And can also tell you our dealer cost on a set of CZ rings is almost $60 so you figure if you got them from a dealer with markup they'll most likely be $70-75 .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks 6pt, that's not too bad. I was interested in a Merkel single shot a while ago until the dealer told Me that a scope mount was over $400.00. :o :shock: .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

.45colt wrote:Thanks 6pt, that's not too bad. I was interested in a Merkel single shot a while ago until the dealer told Me that a scope mount was over $400.00. :o :shock: .
Merkel makes a pretty nice SS , Krieghoff did and may still . But I've gotten so I really like the look of the Blaser K-95 , one of those with a 6.5x57R barrel and maybe an extra barrel in that 6.5x65 RWS cartridge .

But then I'm kinda overly hung up on 6.5mm's right now . Kinda the same way I was on 7mm's 20 years ago .

I'm going to most likely go ahead and get this CZ550FS although if I could lay my hands on a nice Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA 20" carbine in 270 , 308 or 06 I'd go for that as I prefer the MS rifles over the CZ stuff . I already have an MCA 20" in 243 , a MCA 22" rifle in 308 and a 1908 8x56MS . Which reminds me I need to get started on the 8x56 MS after hunting season .
stubbicatt
Levergunner

Post by stubbicatt »

6pt Sika, I have had the M/S in 243 with the DST, butter knife bolt handle etc. It was a nice rifle to look at and definitely a high quality piece. However, I discovered that the rear of the trigger guard would rap the knuckle on my hand making it somewhat less enjoyable to shoot. I do have a CZ550. While not finished to nearly the same standards as the Mannlicher Schoenaur, it is much friendlier to shoot.

Also I ended up sourcing the scope base/rings from NEF and it wasn't cheap for the M/S.

While it is difficult to offer another advice, especially when he really wants one rifle, and looks set to get one other than his first choice, I know if I were presented with your choice what I would do. Good luck with your new rifle.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

stubbicatt wrote:6pt Sika, I have had the M/S in 243 with the DST, butter knife bolt handle etc. It was a nice rifle to look at and definitely a high quality piece. However, I discovered that the rear of the trigger guard would rap the knuckle on my hand making it somewhat less enjoyable to shoot. I do have a CZ550. While not finished to nearly the same standards as the Mannlicher Schoenaur, it is much friendlier to shoot.

Also I ended up sourcing the scope base/rings from NEF and it wasn't cheap for the M/S.

While it is difficult to offer another advice, especially when he really wants one rifle, and looks set to get one other than his first choice, I know if I were presented with your choice what I would do. Good luck with your new rifle.
Thanks for your insight , but if you notice I already have several Mannlicher Schoenauer guns . My little MS 243 has actually shot far better then I anticipated for a mannlicher stocked rifle . There's a guy making copies of the Redfield rings for the MS guns and generally a set of rings is about $165 . While not inexpensive by any means whats $165 in the whole sceam of things :wink:

As to NECG I ordered a set of claw ring blanks for a drilling which they claimed it would take a couple weeks to put in my hands long story short after 6 months we finally got the blanks . They didn't exactly make me feel great after that deal was finished .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well it happened I got a CZ550FS !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

6pt-sika wrote:
piller wrote:It sounds worthwhile to me. If you get it, you need to try it on a moose there in Alaska. That way you can tell us if the 6.5x55 works on the Kevlar coated animals of today. It still works well in Europe, but the gun magazines sure think it is obsolete.
I have a better idea ! If you wanna know you buy a 6.5x55 and you PAY to go up there and you shoot the Bullwinkle .
:lol: :lol: I sure would like to do just that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Loaded some Nosler 140BT's and some Hornady 140SST's today for the rifle using IMR4350 and IMR4831. Maybe tommorrow I'll load some Hornady 129SST's using IMR4350 and RL19 .
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I worked with a 550FS Swede a while back & I've always regretted not keeping it.
Great rifle, good caliber.

I now have a 550FS in .30-06.
I do like those FS 550s. :)
Denis
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Took semi somewhat pictures of my new CZ550 FS . The wood isn't great by any stretch but on the other hand it's pretty decent for a plain grade CZ in my opinion !

I suspect if I'm not disatisfied with this thing a CZ527 FS in of all things 223 REM just might be headed my way . I'm not a fan of the 223 but I am a fan of mannlichers or stutzens whatever you care to call them !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I actually prefer that European butt stock architecture. That's a wonderful rifle you have there, and capable for 90 percent of the world's game with premium bullets.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This thing needs seriouse trigger adjusting !

The regular trigger is 5 plus pounds and the set trigger is 2 1/2 pounds .

I'd like it better if the regular trigger were 2 1/2 pounds and the set was down to a pound .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote:I actually prefer that European butt stock architecture. That's a wonderful rifle you have there, and capable for 90 percent of the world's game with premium bullets.
If this rifle and I end up liking each other , this thing will be perfect for me to take to the UK and the Republic of Ireland if I'm ever able to go hunting there !