Ruger single six, or 7

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Ruger single six, or 7

Post by gcs »

I've been tossing about getting one for some time, and with 22 ammo availability being limited the last few years, i couldn't get inspired about it. Plus, I have my fathers 32 S&w long HE which is small, handy and cheap to reload if I want. I'm prowling the web and see that Ruger has the Single 7 in 32 mag. that has good reviews, plus the arthritis in my hands makes shooting a higher recoil gun less fun. So.... for carrying in the woods and with the added ability of using the lower powered ammo I'm now considering a Single 7.
This isn't an epiphany, but I'm shifting to that thinking.
With all that said, lol, You fellas that have a Single six, which bbl length do you like?
Or if you want to talk me out of it, be free. :mrgreen:
Thanks for listening, and for your insightful remarks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ruger single six, or 7

Post by Blaine »

I've had a nice Single Six Stainless with the 4 5/8" bbl for a very long time. Love it. I love having the mag cyl.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I just bought one of the new S&W Victory pistols. I've put almost 1000 rounds of standard and high velocity ammo through it without a hiccup. I cleaned it prior to its first range trip and didn't do it again until I shot about 400 rounds. The front and rear fiber optic sights make it easier for us guys with aging eyes too.....and it's all stainless.

There's also some pretty nice aftermarket grips. http://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ ... 22_victory
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had one of the Single Seven .327s for about a year. Really enjoy shooting it especially with .32 S&W Longs. Low noise and recoil and still easy to reload. Very accurate as well, off a rest at 25 yds. it's easy to keep 5 rnds. under an inch and a half.
The .327 Federals are a hoot but definitely a hand loading option. Factory ammo is pricey if you can even find it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have both Single Six and Single Seven Rugers. Several of each .
The Single Seven 7 1/2" is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired. Five shots in 1" at 25 yd. is very doable from a solid rest when I am shooting good. I have good days and bad days when it comes to shooting.
It can be loaded with cast to about match the .22 mag or with jacketed bullets to nearly .357 levels.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Have a 32 mag in the Ruger, it has fixed sights & is stainless steel, it is a must have gun between a 22
& 45 colt for me & yes the low recoil is a plus in my 1955 frame, had one in the 80s & it was a real shooter, taking coyotes, rabbits, prairie dogs & what ever else but the eyes were much better then

Brad
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've owned a number of Single Sixes over the years. The 5.5" barrel is a barrel length for general packing and shooting.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have both a Single-Six in .22 and a Single-Seven in .32, the former being a 7.5" barrel model and the latter a 4.75" barrel model. If I had neither, I'd get the Single-Seven since you can reload any of the various rounds it digests.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have this single six for hunt'n, but having the 7 is very versatile.......and you can reload a bunch of different loads....get both
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote:I've had one of the Single Seven .327s for about a year. Really enjoy shooting it especially with .32 S&W Longs. Low noise and recoil and still easy to reload. Very accurate as well, off a rest at 25 yds. it's easy to keep 5 rnds. under an inch and a half.
The .327 Federals are a hoot but definitely a hand loading option. Factory ammo is pricey if you can even find it.

jb 8)
During the last ammopocalypse there was .327 Magnum on the shelves when everything else was gone. The only reason I haven't bought my own .327 is that I have a Cimarron Model P, Jr. with .32-20 and .32 H&R mag cylinders.

I do have a Single-Six stainless .22LR/.22 Mag with a 6.5" bbl. Took me a while to find it back when I bought it. For a long time it was my go-to gun for any woods-walking. I love a single action with transfer bar for use off of a horse. No way are you going to get an accidental double discharge. The 6.5" Single-Six is very accurate. I've killed coyotes, fox, and prairie dogs with it ant decent ranges.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

vancelw wrote:
2ndovc wrote:I've had one of the Single Seven .327s for about a year. Really enjoy shooting it especially with .32 S&W Longs. Low noise and recoil and still easy to reload. Very accurate as well, off a rest at 25 yds. it's easy to keep 5 rnds. under an inch and a half.

jb 8)
During the last ammopocalypse there was .327 Magnum on the shelves when everything else was gone. The only reason I haven't bought my own .327 is that I have a Cimarron Model P, Jr. with .32-20 and .32 H&R mag cylinders.

I do have a Single-Six stainless .22LR/.22 Mag with a 6.5" bbl. Took me a while to find it back when I bought it. For a long time it was my go-to gun for any woods-walking. I love a single action with transfer bar for use off of a horse. No way are you going to get an accidental double discharge. The 6.5" Single-Six is very accurate. I've killed coyotes, fox, and prairie dogs with it ant decent ranges.
had no idea the model P jr was made in 32 HR and 32/20 !! does it have the adjustable sights ? I have one of those in 38 special and it is excellent. now I gotta look for one of these !
cable
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

hfcable wrote:
vancelw wrote: During the last ammopocalypse there was .327 Magnum on the shelves when everything else was gone. The only reason I haven't bought my own .327 is that I have a Cimarron Model P, Jr. with .32-20 and .32 H&R mag cylinders.
had no idea the model P jr was made in 32 HR and 32/20 !! does it have the adjustable sights ? I have one of those in 38 special and it is excellent. now I gotta look for one of these !
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/produc ... -2-in.html

Fixed sights.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle