Went to a Gun Show - 2 Levers Followed Me Home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Went to a Gun Show - 2 Levers Followed Me Home

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Brought a Savage Fox 20g to the show, swapped it (and a little bit of cash - not much really) for these 2:

Martini Henry Mk3 short lever. Was even given 4 loaded rounds (1 with the gun, 3 from another seller I was talking to). I'll need to find more, but it's a start :D Bore is in excellent shape, especially considering the age. And this was the small one of the 2. But there's not many cartridges bigger than 570-450, you're saying :o

Winchester 1901 10 gauge lever action shotgun. I actually have another one coming in the mail (missing a few parts) but I couldn't pass this guy up, especially for the price. No pitting in the barrel, action seems to be working perfectly (have to see if I have any 10g hulls kicking around to be 100% sure of that). Very good chance this will see some use in the goose blind this fall (although I'm cringing at the thought of how much it would cost to load 10g shells with bismuth :cry: )

Now my Norinco has a buddy.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet finds :D Thanks for posting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

That ten is gonna kick like a bay mule... :shock:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

2 very cool guns you have there. 8) I would love to hear a range report on either/both of them.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats KK!!! Quite the finds!!! 8) :D 8)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

"I'm cringing at the thought of how much it would cost to load 10g shells with bismuth"

I think bismuth maybe out of production for now, but there is a soft tungsten-matrix type shot being imported that works in old guns, etc, and is supposedly a lot cheaper. i have a 1901 [two of them actually] and i plan to otry it, and also use it for waterfowling with muzzleloaders; here is a link:

http://www.ecotungsten.com/shots.html
cable
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

hfcable wrote:"I'm cringing at the thought of how much it would cost to load 10g shells with bismuth"

I think bismuth maybe out of production for now, but there is a soft tungsten-matrix type shot being imported that works in old guns, etc, and is supposedly a lot cheaper. i have a 1901 [two of them actually] and i plan to otry it, and also use it for waterfowling with muzzleloaders; here is a link:

http://www.ecotungsten.com/shots.html
Bookmarked :D

Thanks for the info. Definitely seems like a cheaper alternative.

Anyone know where you can buy unprimed 10g hulls? Paper or plastic, doesn't matter.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

The lever action shotgun looks to be ideal for TERMINATING a variety of targets.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Great finds! I really like the Martini. I've always been fond of those and wish I had the funds for a custom Cadet. Hey, see if you can post a photo of the loaded rounds next to Martini's receiver
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

nemhed wrote:Hey, see if you can post a photo of the loaded rounds next to Martini's receiver
I'll try to do that this evening.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Great trade. Martinis are a lot of fun and so are Sniders if you happen across one.In theory you can form brass for both from Magtech 24G brass shotshells. I do that for my Sniders but I don't like the idea of firing a ballon head case in a Martini.
Perry Owens
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

The same guy had a sporterized Martini too, but it sold just as I was looking at the 10g. And the rounds I was given were made with 24g Magtechs. I'm going to search around and see what's available. If I can get proper brass for a decent price I'll probably go that route.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Love those Martinis! :D

Perry Owens, do you know of any Snider parts sources? I saw about a half a dozen at a show yesterday with chopped wood and probably smoothbored for shotshells. I passed since I don't know if anything is out there to rebuild them.

KK, is this ammo still available in the Empire?:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Kanuck,
My personal rule is never to fire a handloaded round that I didn't load myself. I think I would pass on the Magtech rounds unless I disassembled one to check what was in it. I have known people who have loaded smokeless in Martini Henrys or used Cream of Wheat as a filler for light loads. This web site is full of Martini info:
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ ... Forum.html
awp 101, The above web site also has a Snider board with lots of info on parts and loads for Sniders. You also see parts for sale on Ebay.
Re Lesters ammo - I wouldn't think you would stay in business very long selling ammo that "usually works".
Pery Owens
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks, I had forgotten about that board! :D
perry owens wrote:Re Lesters ammo - I wouldn't think you would stay in business very long selling ammo that "usually works".
Pery Owens
They also had a US subsidiary:
:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

perry owens wrote:Kanuck,
My personal rule is never to fire a handloaded round that I didn't load myself. I think I would pass on the Magtech rounds unless I disassembled one to check what was in it. I have known people who have loaded smokeless in Martini Henrys or used Cream of Wheat as a filler for light loads.
He told me exactly what was in it - 25gr of 4759. Topped with a 405gr hollow base bullet. No fillers. Haven't had a chance to look up the load - is it proper or an accident looking to happen? I talked to the guy for a while - good fella that seems to know what he's doing. When I get around to loading my own I plan on sticking to BP or subs.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I'd be dreaming of some kind of rear sight for the 10GA lever
for shooting probably 5 or 6 slugs. Man what weapon ! !
12 GA is something like .83 caliber isnt it ?

The ultimate "big bore" Lever Action !
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

preventec47 wrote:I'd be dreaming of some kind of rear sight for the 10GA lever
One of the first things I looked at last night - 2 tangs screws - I could fit a tang sight on it :D And use safety glasses of course. :shock:
Just talked to the wife. My second 10g lever was at the post office. Needs a few parts, but once Coyote Cap gets some more Norinco parts in, I should have her up and running. :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

preventec47 wrote:I'd be dreaming of some kind of rear sight for the 10GA lever

The ultimate "big bore" Lever Action !
a 12 gauge is about .730 and may use a 690 to 715 slug, and the 10 ga is a .775 and may use a 735 to 750 slug. the 6 bore [ i have a six bore double] is about .919 and the round ball mould i have for it is .895 inches;
here is a link to gauge and diameter:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusio ... id/197045/
cable