Marlin .30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin .30-30

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Guys, talk me into a Marlin .30-30.

I gave my Winchester 94 to my father as a retirement gift so I don't have a 30/30 anymore. We have always been Winchester people. (We count Rossi 92's as Winchesters)

But its been a nearly a couple of years and I thought I could live well enough with my Rossi .44/40 but I have had a .30-30 around for so long it feels wong without one. I thought well time for something different. Theres lots of people that are happy with Marlins, I reasoned. Then there's maybe a Savage 99 if I see one.

In the past the Marlin always felt funny to use to me because the lever went back too far, and it was heavier. I didn't hate the pistol grip to use, but prefer the look of a straight stock. (probably from growing up with Winchesters as well)
I had the use of a Marlin in .35 Remington, which I passed up the option of buying. I hunted with it once. It felt heavy. As heavy as a bolt action, I thought, I may as well be carrying a .30-06 bolt action. The scews needed tightening every time I looked at it.

But there are hardly any second hand Winchesters coming up for sale round here for months, that are not total abused junk, lemons anyway (Bought one with the barrel screwed in crooked and took it back) or just well and truly over priced.

I have no interest in putting a scope on it.

So how much do I have to grit my teeth to go from a Winchester to a Marlin...
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin .30-30

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

If you choose a Marlin I would look for one used (JM) stamped on the barrel..... before Remington took over. Straight stocked Marlin's are harder to find then the pistol grip stock.
I love my old 1960 Marlin 336 SC in .32 Spl. Many a Deer have fallen to this old Marlin.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Who knows, you might run across an old Savage 1899 in .30-30.... ;)

BUT, a Marlin 336 is easily modified to your druthers........

The inside distance from the bottom of the top/rear tang, to the top of the lower rear tang is exactly the same on both pistol-grip & straight grip Marlin 336's - In fact, they take the same length tang screw.

The only real difference is that, on the pistol-gripped rifle, the lower tang is thicker (and rounded) than the lower tang of a straight-gripped rifle.

Long story/short - the wood pistol grip can be cut/rasped off, and the outside of the lower tang ground/filed/cold-blued to a straight line, which will result in a straight-grip model after the lever loop is heated/straightened to match.

I've done it a few times, also shortening the barrel & magazine tube, to make a "Trapper" that looked like a Marlin 336 Texan or 336 Marauder.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I also grew up with Winchester 94s. I love them, prefer them, and have had many of them. I've never had a Marlin 336 of any version.

But yet, it's not the Marlin action I dislike, it's that the stock configuration disagrees with my face. Every pistol gripped Marlin lever gun I've fired has beat bruises on my cheek.
The straight grip stocks are fine, I can shoot them all day long. And they do look and feel a lot more like the Winchester.

Winchesters are getting a bit scarcer here too. I suspect that in 10 years there won't be any to be had. I'm keeping mine. Gonna have them burried with me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

keep looking, you will eventually find a 94. I like the marlin's better myself!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The only thing I dislike about the Marlins is the bump on the bottom of the receiver for the lever. It seems that it's RIGHT where my hand wants to be for the rifle to balance right for one-handed carry. Winchester 94s seem to carry flat, well balanced with my hand right in the middle of the receiver. Marlins balance at about the same spot... but that lever bump is where my ring and little fingers want to be, making one-handed carry uncomfortable.

They're fine shooters, and the action is easily taken down for a thorough cleaning. But... they don't seem to be the "hunter's" rifle that the Winchester is. The "Cowboy" versions with their longer octagon barrel balance farther forward, and don't suffer from the awkward feel, but... they are heavier than a carbine.

Favorite carrying gun... Winchester 94 Trapper... 16" barrel, yet plenty of accuracy for what I can handle in an off-hand shot!

But... don't let my opinion stop you!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've yet to hear anyone diss the Mossburg, or the Big Boy Steel Henry ( at least for objective reasons..Some just don't "like" them).....The Mossburg is WAY cheaper than the Henry.
http://www.mossberg.com/product/464-cen ... rip-41010/
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I'd go with either the Winchester or the Mossberg rip off. Marlins are too heavy and the stocks are too clunky. My 86 Browning SRC isn't much heavier and it's a 45-70.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hit up all your local pawn shops. There's likely a (JM) Marlin there looking for a good home. An older Marlin will be as good or better than anything you'll buy new today, and much less money.
NRA Life Member
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Knowing how you feel about the Marlin I would wait for the Winchester to come along!
Just was at a gun show & sold some 94s, had one Marlin & nobody even picked it up & it
is in better shape than the 94s, Savage in 30-30 is real nice I brought one home from
the show

Brad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Carlsen,

Do they even have guns shows in New Zealand?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Griff,
They have gun shows but they are not what you guys have over there, with lot of private sales they are essentially just shops and manufacturers wthl stalls, and in recent years heaps of tables that are just collectors or soemthing displaying things...like machine guns or military collections. In fact the last one I went to one, I had a hard time finding anything that was even for sale...

We have an internet auction sales website, the same thing as Ebay which people buy and sell used guns on as well as all the normal stuff. So we either find a used rifle on the rack on the local gunshop, or we by it off the internet site Trademe.
At the moment there is an excellent condition pre-64 Win94 for sale on there for about 1000 US and also a relined Winchester 73 carbine in .38-40 for $1500 US.
But all I want is a 1970's Winchester with a good bore, I don't even care if it's beat up on the outside...
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I won't buy another marlin in 30/30!

Win 94 for me.

N
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I started out with collecting and shooting Winchester 1894/'94's and had a half dozen of them when a trade forced me to take a 1893 Marlin takedown in .25-36M as part trade. My plan was to turn it around and use the funds for more Winchesters. But I took it home and pulled it apart to clean, oil, and inspect it. I was amazed how simple it was in function, and how easy it was to disassemble! After a few days of looking the 1893 Marlin over, I decided I'd keep it, and maybe consider buying more Marlins. Within a year I had sold all my Winchesters, and used the funds to purchase more early Marlins. Never looked back or regretted the switch myself!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Sounds like you should hold out for a Wrenchester or a copy . If it does not fit you or feel good in your hands you will forever " Wish it was xxxx " . Maybe the Savage would feel right for you :?: , or an 88 :?:
I prefer the Marlin because an 1894 was my first levergun so the transition to the model 1936 and 336 were seamless to ME . The Winchesters are enough different in shape that I just don't enjoy them as much. Both great rifles and I like them both , just grab the Marlins most often , sounds like you prefer the other. 8)
Phil
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Nath wrote:I won't buy another marlin in 30/30!

Win 94 for me.

N
+1
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Me? I like 94's, both Winchester and Marlin. Hate 336's though, just couldn't get used to the longer lever throw! YMMV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have a several Marlins, three are scoped, two have Williams receiver sights and the 32-20 has factory irons. one is a 1969 Marlin Glenfield model 30 I picked up for less than 2 bills. rode hard put away wet it looked pretty ratty. I scrubbed out the sewer like bore, picked up a used Williams 5-d receiver sight. to My amazement it shoots as good as any of them. the action sounds like a sewing machine when worked fast, sure they are different but some day you may want to mount a scope.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Carlsen Highway wrote:Griff,
They have gun shows but they are not what you guys have over there, with lot of private sales they are essentially just shops and manufacturers wthl stalls, and in recent years heaps of tables that are just collectors or soemthing displaying things...like machine guns or military collections. In fact the last one I went to one, I had a hard time finding anything that was even for sale...

We have an internet auction sales website, the same thing as Ebay which people buy and sell used guns on as well as all the normal stuff. So we either find a used rifle on the rack on the local gunshop, or we by it off the internet site Trademe.
At the moment there is an excellent condition pre-64 Win94 for sale on there for about 1000 US and also a relined Winchester 73 carbine in .38-40 for $1500 US.
But all I want is a 1970's Winchester with a good bore, I don't even care if it's beat up on the outside...
Throw in junk knives, beef jerky, and T shirts, and, it's what we got here. :wink:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Carlsen Highway wrote:Griff,

Agreed. For a good hunter, a straight shooting, reliable feeding 94 is all you really need.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had, and loved an early 80s 336 in 30 wcf. Maybe the most accurate lever gun I've owned. When I got my 1951 Model 94 (Bucket list Win. year of my birth 3030) I sold the 336 to someone who wanted it pretty bad. The 94 Winny is like a slender lady, and when I bring it up the sights line up perfectly for me. Not so the 336.
I have an early 70s 1894 Marlin in .44 mag that I wish was a Winchester.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If all you have is junk over there, don't it make sense to get an $800 plane ticket and you can have some fun over here and take home a boatload of Marlins for $250-400 a piece...then, when you get home, sell as many as you need to get all of your money back and keep a couple of nice ones for yourself.

At least that's what I hear drug users do to get their own supply for free. :D -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I own both manufacturers and love them both. I would not hesitate to buy a Marlin 30-30, particularly a JM. A 336W has the forward band and nicer looks to my eye. My 444 handled nicer than my 94 and 92 IMO. :twisted:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Canuck Bob wrote:I own both manufacturers and love them both. I would not hesitate to buy a Marlin 30-30, particularly a JM. A 336W has the forward band and nicer looks to my eye. My 444 handled nicer than my 94 and 92 IMO. :twisted:
:D :D My early 70s MG .444 is why I'd sell the 1894 44 mag......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Since the Mossberg was mentioned, I'll make a single observation on it versus the 336 marlin.

My one complaint concerning the Mossberg was the grip safety. It had a very organic, spongy feel to it that made it hard to discern properly engagement short of chocking the lever down. Contrast this to every Marlin I've owned or fondled having a clicky, mechanical grip safety that leaves no room for ambiguity as to whether or not it has been engaged.

That and I've been spoiled by Marlin's side eject format versus the angle eject of the Mossberg. No possibility of pinging the scope with brass or rebounding it back into the chamber.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Panzercat wrote:Since the Mossberg was mentioned, I'll make a single observation on it versus the 336 marlin.

My one complaint concerning the Mossberg was the grip safety. It had a very organic, spongy feel to it that made it hard to discern properly engagement short of chocking the lever down. Contrast this to every Marlin I've owned or fondled having a clicky, mechanical grip safety that leaves no room for ambiguity as to whether or not it has been engaged.

That and I've been spoiled by Marlin's side eject format versus the angle eject of the Mossberg. No possibility of pinging the scope with brass or rebounding it back into the chamber.
The Marlin gets the nod if you want to scope a lever.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've got a 336 and a Model 94AE.

They both have 20" barrels, and they shoot the same. Same ammo, same velocity, same POI at the same ranges. In performance, a matched pair.

Which one you settle for, in my mind, depends on how you intend to use the gun.

If you're a stand or blind hunter and need a scope, get the Marlin.

If you favor iron sights or will be carrying the gun for extended periods while using it, get the Winchester.

Other than that, they are both sturdy and dependable rifles.

Did I mention that they shoot the same?

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

marlinman93 wrote:I started out with collecting and shooting Winchester 1894/'94's and had a half dozen of them when a trade forced me to take a 1893 Marlin takedown in .25-36M as part trade. My plan was to turn it around and use the funds for more Winchesters. But I took it home and pulled it apart to clean, oil, and inspect it. I was amazed how simple it was in function, and how easy it was to disassemble! After a few days of looking the 1893 Marlin over, I decided I'd keep it, and maybe consider buying more Marlins. Within a year I had sold all my Winchesters, and used the funds to purchase more early Marlins. Never looked back or regretted the switch myself!

Something very special about those 'built like a bank vault' 1893's. 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My only complaint with Marlins is that they don't last very long and they shoot patterns instead of groups. Take this old Marlin I have for an example.

I used it today at the long range buffalo match at the Atglen Gunclub. This "buffalo match" is the same as BPCR except we can use smokeless and we can use cross sticks on the 200 meter chickens. You can also have a scope but it has to be an old time scope and nothing more than 6x. It's all play with no recordings in our NRA book. The scope guys are in a different class.

10 shots at 10 chickens-----200 meters
10 shots at pigs-------------300 meters
10 shots at turkeys---------385 meters
10 shots at rams------------500 meters

All of the guys use fancy new Shilo Sharps, Rem. Rolling blocks, whatever...but the guns all have nice fresh perfect rifling and I don't believe any of these guns are more than 10 years old.

So.......I decide (like a fool) to use this 1881 Marlin that was made in 1881 that has a special order 30 inch extra heavy barrel.......dang thing weighs 12 pounds.........chambered in 40-60 Marlin which is about identical to the 40-65 Winchester round. The gun is 100% original from 1881 with the exception of a dovetail mounted MVA scope. I use the stubby 270 grain NEI cast bullet because the express rifling in the barrel will only stabilize short bullets that are about useless past 300 meters.

Man! Did I feel like a fool shooting this old antique with original rifling against all of those fancy Sharps rifles with their 535 grain bullets. I believe there were 22 shooters. At the end of the day I was embarrassed when the guy who was running the show announced the shooters and their scores.

High man got 22 X 40. It was also very windy I might add.

Everyone else got anywhere from a 6 to an 18 with one guy shooting a 20. It's not easy to hit those little targets way out there.

And then.......it was time to announce to everyone what my score was.....I was cringing with my head looking at my feet........Oh! It was the second highest score...the 20.

I like Winchesters but there is something about the accuracy of Marlins.-------6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD