An old hunting Buddy, 1894 38/55 that's a 'user':

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

An old hunting Buddy, 1894 38/55 that's a 'user':

Post by hfcable »

I got this rifle for $335.00 years ago, chip out of buttstock needed repair then light refinishing to blend it in, also has a stable crack near the tang...in a way it is a sort of beater i guess:

it is a semi-deluxe checkered,half octagon half round barrel, pistol grip 1894 rifle, caliber 38/55, serial #4362X, making its manufacture date in 1895:

it has a folding leaf rear sight, a lyman tang sight, and had been tapped for a receiver sight as well and has a marble's front sight that has a red dot over a sort of tunnel so that when using the tang sight and this front sight the game is not obscured by the sights.

this was probably for longer shots, but it sure works well on nearby sprinting caribou, letting me drop two with 2 shots as they ran past me on a gravel bar. your eye picks up the moving game easily with this setup.

so in a way it is a beater but it really is the kind of gun that i really enjoy, don't have to worry about using it, and it still does the job; this is one of my favorite guns.
cable
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Looks like a lot of fun to me! It's even in my favorite caliber.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

more of those sights

Post by hfcable »

that front sight is hard to see in my picture with the red dot on the red blanket, so here a few more; they came in various sizes of white dots, red dots, and brass beads:

cable
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Cool sight! Too bad they aren't made anymore...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that is very kewl. I wish you many more years of building memories and history with that one. That front sight is unique to me. I have never seen one. I gotta git out more. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Very cool!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Beater, I hardly say so... No, looks more like an experienced old friend to me. Great old rifle and I'm glad you took the time to share it with us.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That sure is a nice gun!!! :D I've never seen a front sight like that! Now I'm going to have to try to find one!!!

Am I the only one that has found that this site has become a tremendous drain on the ol' wallet?!? :shock: Not that I would have it any other way...
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

old beater

Post by brucew44guns »

That old rifle is just aching to tell stories, of countless miles she was carried by some determind hunter trying to succeed at bringing home the prized deer or elk. You are fortunate that you got that rifle, for what you paid----- I would bet it was a big outlay for you "way back when", our paychecks were a lot smaller years ago so that price seemed like a ton. Glad you did it.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Wonderful old rifle! I'd say from the bluing wear on the left side of the receiver she once wore one of the "climbin' Lyman" sights. Wonder where it went...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Now, that rifle's got character ! ! :roll: :P :P :P
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice rifle. It takes a lot of companionship to make a rifle look like that and I wouldn't call it a beater by any means.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Harold,
When did you buy that rifle, in 1952? :D For a rifle with all those special order features, you could easily add a "0" after that $335, even with the d&t 'ed receiver. Funny thing, with most of us "older" guncranks, our favorite rifles have nothing to do with condition. My favorite is a fofmsb no finish '86 in 45-70 made in '89.--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Sixgun wrote:Harold,
When did you buy that rifle, in 1952? :D For a rifle with all those special order features, you could easily add a "0" after that $335, even with the d&t 'ed receiver. Funny thing, with most of us "older" guncranks, our favorite rifles have nothing to do with condition. My favorite is a fofmsb no finish '86 in 45-70 made in '89.--------------Sixgun
thanks Sixgun, I bought it in 1983, I believe, and yes, it was a good buy even then; it likes the barnes old style .377 bullets, and shoots quite well with them. they also do a good job on large game.
yes, my favorites are like this generally, users that are comfortable to use.
cable