Gun Show find 32 WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Gun Show find 32 WCF

Post by BenT »

Well here is the picture before I tell the story.

I went to the gun show , browsed and had good conversation. The only thing that interested me was a Winchester 1895 in 40-85. It had a half octagon , half round barrel, bore was good but was cut down. The stock was cracked in multiple places and was junk. No blueing left , no ptting any where. Well I went back to see what the bottom dollar for this project was. Well he wouldn't come off of $850 , which was about $450 too high.
Well I went to leave and i looked down in his case at this S&W . I seen the bore was small and ask what caliber. He said 32-20 and we agreed on the price of $325 with the holster. Made in around 1922.

All matching serial numbers and great bore. I came home and to see what it would slug out at . I dropped a 312 100 gr Rainer bullet in each cylinder and it didn't drop through. Checked the muzzle with the bullet and it was a tight fit. I had some 32-20 loaded for the Marlin , but they were loaded too hot for the S&W. So I loaded up a dozen cases with 5.2 grains of AA5.

It shoots fine. The only question I have is why do I keep buying handguns ! It's not like my eyes are getting better. The sights on this gun are very small , but I can see them better than I thought. So now I will load up some 32-20 and readjust the sights on my Marlin for this load. Then do some shooting.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gun Show find 32 WCF

Post by .45colt »

What a find! Great score. :D .
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice find Ben!!
kind of looking for a 32-20 myself, as to the why of it am not sure but feel the same way

Brad
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Great snag! Looking forward to reading the range report. If you'd like I could send you some plain base 311316s to try.

Eric
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a great find! Congratulations!!! :mrgreen: 8) :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice leather too.…..... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You brought home a daisy, mister!

:D
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

gamekeeper wrote:Nice leather too.…..... :mrgreen:

Probably a Hunter brand, looks just like the one my Ruger SSS lives in. :wink:
Merle from PA
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have the same model and like it. Im sure you will enjoy it also.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

One of my most favorite calibers, and guns! That's a great find at a heck of a great price! Amazing how a guy can be so high on one gun, and so low on a better gun!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

yooper2 wrote:Great snag! Looking forward to reading the range report. If you'd like I could send you some plain base 311316s to try.

Eric
I appreciate the offer. I have variety of 32 cal moulds. I just found 2 more boxes of 100gr fp Rainier 312 bullets , I have 2 thousands of them. So I thought I would give them a try. I will load up some 115 gr cast for the 32-20 also ,but the weather hasn't been the best to test loads, so it is a good time to reload. Started cleaning 327 Fed and 44 special brass for reloading this weekend.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Nice find! I bet that would be a fine small game and varmint handgun
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

BenT wrote:
yooper2 wrote:Great snag! Looking forward to reading the range report. If you'd like I could send you some plain base 311316s to try.

Eric
I appreciate the offer. I have variety of 32 cal moulds. I just found 2 more boxes of 100gr fp Rainier 312 bullets , I have 2 thousands of them. So I thought I would give them a try. I will load up some 115 gr cast for the 32-20 also ,but the weather hasn't been the best to test loads, so it is a good time to reload. Started cleaning 327 Fed and 44 special brass for reloading this weekend.

Ok, should you ever change your mind fire me a PM and I'll get some headed your way. We had a spell of crummy weather up here too, got caught up on my casting and lubrisizing.

Eric.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You did good! Color me green! I wish Ruger would chamber the BH and GP 100 in .32-20. I have a box of 500 star-line cases that has never been opened, and no,it is not for sale.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:You did good! Color me green! I wish Ruger would chamber the BH and GP 100 in .32-20. I have a box of 500 star-line cases that has never been opened, and no,it is not for sale.

"A few years ago Ruger did chamber the BH convertible in 32-20, with a 32 H&R mag cylinder. They were a special run for Buckeye Sports, in Ohio. :o"

True, but I want a shooter and the price to go with it. Those are prized collector pieces and I have never seen one up for sale.
Merle from PA
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Actually, Ruger kinda DOES chamber the Blackhawk in .32-20 because a New Model .30 Carbine Blackhawk will shoot .32-20 just fine without any modification. Several fairly recent threads on that in www.rugerforum.com. The Old Model .30 Carbine apparently requires some chamber/rim reaming to work with .32-20.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I had a Vaquaro in 32-20 and 32 mag that my friend got from me , needed the money. The good thing is that I still get to shoot it from time to time.

The thing is that the 32 mag is easier to reload than 32-20. I ended up shooting that more than the 32-20, so the 32-20 cylinder didn't get used much.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:D :D I'll give you an instant TEN DOLLAR profit on it, and pay shipping....No, don't thank me. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ben,
You made a good buy and at a very fair price I might add. I bought the same one you have below pictured in 1976 and paid $110. A factory letter shows it was shipped to the Belknap Hardware store in Louisville Kentucky in 1906. The only diet it has been fed is a 115 gr. Lyman with 3 grains of Bullseye.
Yours has better steel than mine but the load I use is very pleasant. It rings the 7" gong at 100 meters with ease.------6

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sixgun wrote:Ben,
You made a good buy and at a very fair price I might add. I bought the same one you have below pictured in 1976 and paid $110. A factory letter shows it was shipped to the Belknap Hardware store in Louisville Kentucky in 1906. The only diet it has been fed is a 115 gr. Lyman with 3 grains of Bullseye.
Yours has better steel than mine but the load I use is very pleasant. It rings the 7" gong at 100 meters with ease.------6

That is a nice looking sixgun. Thanks for the load info , I might have to give it try. Of course I will have to buy some Bullseye, I am more of a Unique type of guy.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ben, another very pleasant load, concerning your Unique, is 4-4.5 grains with some type of a cast bullet. You can, in YOUR 32-20 (mine has the non heat treated cylinder) easily go to 5 grains or even 5.5 but the tin cans your shooting won't know the difference in velocity.

Let cut the B.S----- Can I have it? :D ---6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sixgun wrote:Ben, another very pleasant load, concerning your Unique, is 4-4.5 grains with some type of a cast bullet. You can, in YOUR 32-20 (mine has the non heat treated cylinder) easily go to 5 grains or even 5.5 but the tin cans your shooting won't know the difference in velocity.

I don't think you want all the hassle of having another one. You would have to get a double holster rig, load twice as much ammo, plus matching display stands. When snuggling with the Misses having that extra gun in the way, because I know once you get that double rig you won't want to take it off. I just wouldn't feel right putting that burden on you. :D
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

BenT wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Ben, another very pleasant load, concerning your Unique, is 4-4.5 grains with some type of a cast bullet. You can, in YOUR 32-20 (mine has the non heat treated cylinder) easily go to 5 grains or even 5.5 but the tin cans your shooting won't know the difference in velocity.

I don't think you want all the hassle of having another one. You would have to get a double holster rig, load twice as much ammo, plus matching display stands. When snuggling with the Misses having that extra gun in the way, because I know once you get that double rig you won't want to take it off. I just wouldn't feel right putting that burden on you. :D

darn - you sure are considerate!!! :lol:
Merle from PA