New Patrol Shotgun...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

New Patrol Shotgun...

Post by 1894c »

The LE Agency I serve still uses the 12ga. shotgun (mostly for non-lethal), the Patrol Rifle has gained popularity and in many cases has replaced the shotgun. As for me I still think a 12 gage shotgun (pump or auto) is still very serviceable, versatile, and a great equalizer--no patrol vehicle should be without one. We mostly have Remington 870 Police Magnum's and a few Mossberg 500's.

I wanted to mix it up so I bought a Benelli SuperNova Tactical. I bought the one with simple rifle-style sights instead of the ghost-ring sights (w/o the pistol grip). I've been looking at a bead front sight for so long that I didn't want to get too complicated. The Benelli shoots and handles great, it's almost Glock-like since it's a mixture of polymer and steel, it's very weather resistant, which is advantageous in the Pacific Northwest rainy winter, rainy spring, rainy summer, and rainy fall... :)

http://www.benelliusa.com/supernova-tac ... mp-shotgun
pic.1.jpg
pic.2.jpg
pic.3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Patrol Shotgun...

Post by Pete44ru »

The nice thing about smoothbore's is their ability to use different loads (lethal & non-lethal).

Benelli's are as reliable as a rock !

I had an early, smoothie 12ga, H&K-imported, Super 90 M-1 (now the M-2 ? M-4 ?) Slug Gun with their Montefeltro (not the SBE) action, non-tactical PG buttstock, & iron sights that I truly regret selling...............

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Have the Nova with the ghost ring sight & 18 in bbl. imp cyl. really tears up the paper
with several loads of buck & bird shot & 2 months ago I found that it puts fear into a local
meth head that was up to no good at my place, no I didn't have to use the gun on him but a warning shot was enough for him to comply to lay down & eat dirt until the law arrives

ollogger
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have an 870 Tactical.... No bells and whistles, but a good set of sights, and holds a bunch of ammo. A couple of 10 round ammo wallets on the sling, and I can hold off the Red Hordes, and Marauding MoFo's pretty good.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

hold off the Red Hordes
speaking of which, my shottie is the chicom 870 knock-off. I figured that if it comes to the red hordes, what better item to knock 'em off than the knock-off . . . it has peeper rear and blade front and the .69 balls go there.

knock-knock :?:

knock-off :!:
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Grizz wrote:
hold off the Red Hordes
speaking of which, my shottie is the chicom 870 knock-off. I figured that if it comes to the red hordes, what better item to knock 'em off than the knock-off . . . it has peeper rear and blade front and the .69 balls go there.

knock-knock :?:

knock-off :!:
I've got one, too, Grizz. Love it. I added an 870 +2 mag extension and a ventilated handguard, plus a Tasco ProPoint red dot sight. I do wish that 870 barrels would work on them, but other than that I like the Chinese version as much as the 870 -- and maybe more! One big accuracy plus for this gun is the best shotgun trigger I have ever encountered. That alone accounts for a lot of the fact that with Remington slug loads it is a 75 yard deer gun.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That Benelli sure makes my old Mossy 500ATP look tired..... :(
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:I have an 870 Tactical.... No bells and whistles, but a good set of sights, and holds a bunch of ammo. A couple of 10 round ammo wallets on the sling, and I can hold off the Red Hordes, and Marauding MoFo's pretty good.
You also need to remember our neighbors to the North, especially since I live within shooting distance. Our Northern Neighbor's may be polite, courteous, helpful, kind, and really give our local economy a boost, but I still think it's a strategy to lull us into complacency--before we know it, they'll strike fast and hard--there will be a "TIM HORTON'S" up and down I-5... :)
th.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I recently purchased a Mossberg Maverick 88 shortie for the vehicle.
A buddy who owns a gun shop showed me that the Maverick holds five shells BUT....it will hold 13 of the Aguila "shortie" shells.That is a lot of fire power to put down at one time if necessary.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I got an 870 & 3 1897s. Good enough for the trenches of WWI, good enough for me!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A shotgun sure does have a place at my house.

GK, I have an old Mossberg 500ATP 8shot that I found in a Pawn shop years ago. It sat on their shelf for more than a year, they took my hundred dollar offer. It is an old police gun and really cleaned up nice. It stands ready by my side of the bed.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IMHO the shotgun is still vastly under rated. If the truth were known I'll bet the gun that won the west wasn't a Winchester but the shotgun.

I know my retired 870 Police issue Wingmaster is my go to when things go bump in the night.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

1892 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I have an 870 Tactical.... No bells and whistles, but a good set of sights, and holds a bunch of ammo. A couple of 10 round ammo wallets on the sling, and I can hold off the Red Hordes, and Marauding MoFo's pretty good.
You also need to remember our neighbors to the North, especially since I live within shooting distance. Our Northern Neighbor's may be polite, courteous, helpful, kind, and really give our local economy a boost, but I still think it's a strategy to lull us into complacency--before we know it, they'll strike fast and hard--there will be a "TIM HORTON'S" up and down I-5... :)
th.jpg
Yeah, Im with you on that. I think those guys have been covetously eyeing our nice warm country for years, planning a strike when we least expect it. I heard rumors of a secret infiltration operation, called "Operation Snowbird" where they pretend to be old geezers travelling and staying in their spy rigs disguised as motor homes.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JerryB wrote:A shotgun sure does have a place at my house.

GK, I have an old Mossberg 500ATP 8shot that I found in a Pawn shop years ago. It sat on their shelf for more than a year, they took my hundred dollar offer. It is an old police gun and really cleaned up nice. It stands ready by my side of the bed.
I got my 8 shot Mossberg cheap too, it had no stock! I don't think it was ever a police gun as it has a 24" barrel with C-lect choke.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I like a short barreled shotgun for the truck. Currently use a PAS Armed Gladiator with a 13 " Barrel. Made in Turkey. Nice light Aluminiun framed. Some bird shot, Buck and slugs and I have grouse thru Grizzly covered.

The Benelli looks like a great Patrol shotgun. Nice choice.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

1892, do you find the recoil absorbing stock design to be at all helpful in this regard?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:1892, do you find the recoil absorbing stock design to be at all helpful in this regard?
Those fancy/schmancy things are not necessary. Just hold the stock about an inch from your shoulder, and the recoil will be absorbed. :wink: It's that cushion of air, I think.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Bill in Oregon wrote:1892, do you find the recoil absorbing stock design to be at all helpful in this regard?
My former 870 Police Magnum had one serious recoil pad (limb-saver equivalent), which helped with recoil. BUT I have found that the recoil with the Super-Nova "absorbing stock" to be slightly better (the Benelli weighs the same as the 870, 7ibs.), but that may be more of a subjective thing... :)