OT - First note from the recruit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

OT - First note from the recruit

Post by AmBraCol »

As some of y'all know, our second son is in basic training out in Kalifornia. We just received the first note from him yesterday. Here's a brief excerpt.

I'm doing fine. Don't have much time to write. But miss you all. It is easy. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Yep, that sounds like him. A glutton for punishment. It'll be good to visit with him once he makes it all the way through. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

You must be a proud Papa. Our prayers and thanks go out to him for his service.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent! Standby on the easy. The construction will begin forthwith.
Old Law Dawg
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

That's great. Don't feel bad if that's the last note you get from him. He'll still need to get as many from you as possible, though.

If he actually has time to even think about writing, then as Kim noted, things may not have really kicked off, yet. Do you know if he is still in Receiving Barracks, or has he made it to his real platoon, at this point?

In truth, it may actually turn out to be "easy" for him. It all depends on the individual he was when he arrived. While Drill Instructors may be the ones who finally build a Marine, it doesn't hurt if the raw material they have to work with is the product of a solid family and lead-by-example parenting.

Scott
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Good for you and him Paul.

My nephew is in Army bootcamp right now. He wanted to be in the infantry despite his test scores. He reports that its easier than he thought it would be too.

Good for them.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

our thoughts and prayers are with him.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

sgtgrinche wrote:our thoughts and prayers are with him.
Ditto.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: OT - First note from the recruit

Post by KirkD »

AmBraCol wrote:
... It is easy. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Just wait until he gets to Warrant Officer Training!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If the young man is visiting the training center outside Oceanside, and he doesn't think it's that bad, he should just let the DI know. They will certainly see that it lives up to his expectations. Many moons ago, I had been a cross country runner in school. The first morning in, we were to run about a mile. Stupid me said " is that all". Well, I learned a very valuable lesson that day. :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I'm glad to hear he's doing good. :D

I know a guy that went in after being raised on a milk farm. He said they got mad when they found him at 04:30 already dressed. He was thinking, "Wow, I get to sleep in." :lol: .

Stress and discipline are one thing, but I have a very low tolerence for aerobic stimulus. I would be broken quickly by any one of the branches.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Congrats to you and please thank him from me. We put one through Navy basic last winter and attended the graduation in February.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Paul -

Glad to hear he is doing well and eating it up!!! :D
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

RSY wrote:That's great. Don't feel bad if that's the last note you get from him. He'll still need to get as many from you as possible, though.

If he actually has time to even think about writing, then as Kim noted, things may not have really kicked off, yet. Do you know if he is still in Receiving Barracks, or has he made it to his real platoon, at this point?

In truth, it may actually turn out to be "easy" for him. It all depends on the individual he was when he arrived. While Drill Instructors may be the ones who finally build a Marine, it doesn't hurt if the raw material they have to work with is the product of a solid family and lead-by-example parenting.

Scott
That last part is so true. When I went to USMC Boot Camp.
I do believe it was much easier on me than most of the other recruits I was with. I learned at a very early age how to listen and take orders,or have your head beat in. And also the most important part of being a Marine,
RESPECT. Glad to hear the boy is doing good. USMC is the best thing going for a young man these days.Write him often and tell him there are
lots of people in America that still Honor and Respect what they are doing for our Country.

:D :D
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Glad you heard from him. :wink: Well I'm sure the DI will fireup the forge soon enough :D .Like my mother said to me "Don't take it personal,they lost too many the last time..so they got to be tough on you." :roll:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."