Affordable Rain Gear

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Affordable Rain Gear

Post by Blaine »

In the Great Pacific NorthWet, it's going to rain during the fall and winter. We all know the expensive gear that will work pretty good, but I want to throw a vote in for Frogg Toggs....I use it riding motorcycle in the rain and it holds up very good. Except for the expected leakage around the cuffs, and neck, it remains dry. It also breaths. For hunting, I believe you'll need a light fleece shell over it to quiet it down some, and to keep from snagging.... Anyway, YMMV.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Affordable Rain Gear

Post by Griff »

I found a really nice rain coat at Cabela's on sale this past spring to use... It was marked down 40%! So it was only $89 I keep it in the truck for when I go up there. The couple of times I've used it were only in light sprinkles, and it kept me dry. "Rain Suede" packable parka. Good 'nough for the occasional need.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:I found a really nice rain coat at Cabela's on sale this past spring to use... It was marked down 40%! So it was only $89 I keep it in the truck for when I go up there. The couple of times I've used it were only in light sprinkles, and it kept me dry. "Rain Suede" packable parka. Good 'nough for the occasional need.
I, too, have a Dry Plus Cabela's hooded jacket. It's not too bad. Doesn't last more than a couple hours in the nasty stuff. The cuffs are not protected, and when they soak up, your shirt starts wicking water. Some waterproof gloves pulled over the cuffs help with that. The Dry Plus pants I got were pretty sad....Don't care for them much.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I wore Helly Hansen to sea for almost 30 years, but I don't recognize it on their website. Gone metro I guess.

Grunden's still shows some recognizeable heavy weather gear.

This stuff isn't light. It is a customized portable flexible dry shack. It lasts years and years of heavy use.

The cuffs are open to allow gauntlet type gloves to fit up inside. Fishermen will tape them closed when working in jellyfish or other nasty stuff. Many fishermen cut the sleeves off of their shirts and sweatshirts to prevent water from wicking up.

If you have to spend a cold night on the beach in blowing rain, you will still be dry in the morning. Fleece sweats under the bib overalls and under the hooded jacket keep you warm in almost anything as long as you're moving. Better weather protection than any tent I've seen.

I once called up a large doe with the squeaky buckle on my HH overalls. She came trotting up to the brow of the hill with her ears up and big doe eyes.

here's a sample complete outfit:

http://newenglandmarine.com/products-pa ... rene-boot/

http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcar ... category=0

http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/g ... rigg44.htm

http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/g ... npants.htm

http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcar ... tegory=982

I generally wore jeans and cotton hoodies under my gear.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

I have had several of their products.

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/the-weath ... acket.html

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/the-weath ... pants.html

Considering the price, I have found them to be OK.

Cheers Mark
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I worked with a guy that sore by Frog Toggs. I really should get myself some. As it is when I go work my rain gear consists of a driving cap from Deluth Trading Company, a nylon shell, and a towel because the hat and jacket don't work all that well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I hiked about 1/3 of the AT in 2000 and that was about the first I saw the frogg toggs - they were getting pretty popular with hikers because of their super light weight. I thought it was funny because the material I think is just tyvec which i was familiar with as I used to work at a lumber yard. I've always wanted to try it out but never have.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

well, it's hard to argue with the price:

https://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm

it's like the harbor freight of raingear. might be OK, I'm curious about 'em now
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've heard of Froggs Toggs for a while now and since moving to wet Oregon, my sailing suit doesn't seem to work quite as well as it did off the coast of So. CA. So how are the jackets cut? are they large enough to wear a sweatshirt/clothes underneath? Or should I order one size larger?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Normally, issued Gore-tex I still have a couple of sets of the heavy weight winter issue in two camo colors and a set of the reversible (desert on one side and woodland camo on the other) light weight. I wear frog togs on the motorcycle when I forget the gore-tex.
It is not the critic who counts
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

It was so nice to hear about motorcycle gear. I use to sell motorcycle gear for about ten years. I use to use the cheap gear also. I never got wet. I rode a 87 Honda VFR700. I usually would have to have a tank bag that would carry everything. I also rode a 2002 Kawaski Concours that had a ton of storage especialy with a Givi bag on the back. It was big enough to carry another jacket. Later on I rode with First Gear jacket and pants. For gloves I used Held which never leaked they r pricey but they would never wear out.For boots I wore Alpinstars never leaked. they had armor for the ankles and shins. The nice part was u could work in them and walk threw a small stream. They never leaked. Helmet was a Arai RR3. The reason why I saying this. I use to ride to work in Rockville, Md. I was coming home in a windstorm a hub cap flew off a car and the bike the VFR rode up on it and threw me off so fast. I had full gear on. I did the superman and so happy no one drove over me. I got up and walked over to the bike and set it up and it didnt want to start. I let it run for 20 minutes. The cops and the rescue squad came and wanted me to climb into the ambulance and go to hospital. I said no I've got to get my bike home. His comment u motorcycles guys r crazy. I drove home about 2 miles away and about 1/4 mile away I couldnt pull in the pull in the clutch lever. I had to shift without the clutch. When I got home I could barely get off the bike. I took all my gear off. I drove my Jeep to the hospital. I filled in the paper work and said I crashed on a bike at 45 mph. It was kinda of funny he looked at me up and down. He said ur the one who crashed I said yep. I told him I drove home and took my gear off. I sprained my wrist and my knee. So the reason for this story is wear the best gear. I also rode from Wilmington, NC to my house in rockville, Md. in a monsonly rain in May 2006. I drove first in at 55mph but it was to slow I bumped it up to 80 mph all the way. I did stop half way to get fuel and something to eat. I also put in a heated liner. I had my First gear on and it didnt leak once. Wear only motorcycle gear. because we ride to crash meaning be ready for that day. every body crashes its the question when.
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
jruppert2
Levergunner

Post by jruppert2 »

I also have some of the Toggs rainwear and it is as others say. It's very reasonably priced, light weight and will keep you dry. But if you exert yourself such as like hiking, you will sweat under it.