OT - Original Sharps Range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Original Sharps Range report

Post by 3855 »

KirkD's range reports have inspired me to add one of my own.

While I primarily am interested in antique Winchesters, I do enjoy all American antique rifles, especially in shooting them.

I recently picked up an original Sharps Model 1874 Business rifle that left the factory in 1876. It was shipped out west and from there to parts unknown. It is possible it participated in the tail end of the Buffalo hunt but that has been lost to history.

What made this rifle expecially interesting to me however is that the condition of the bore is near perfect. Whoever owned this rifle carefully cleaned it after each use. While the outside shows considerable wear, the bore is beautiful.

After a little load development, I have been able to get the old rifle to produce groups like this 5 shot group below.

A couple of weeks ago, my son and I had this old rifle out at the silhouette range and were able to bounce bullets off the Buffalo silhouette at a measured 560 yards with boring regularity. These old guns were made right and will still perform.

A Winchester Collector
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

SWEEEEET!!!!!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Very nice! ...and she SHOOTS!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That's what makes a good day. It must feel great to take a fine old rifle like that and get it to perform as it was intended to.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:

That is just too cool! :!:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Hobie wrote::mrgreen:

That is just too cool! :!:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!!
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Rusty wrote:SWEEEEET!!!!!
+1
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

This ranks up there, as the most righteous of range reports; and renews my faith in all things good and decent!!!

Thankyou!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nice rifle. If only it could talk.
How much load development did it take to "find" the right load?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow that is nice!!! 8) Great range report and pictures!!! :D
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Thank you for that fine report and the photos. I love these rifles, and though I don't own an original, I still get a thrill out of hunting with my Shiloh and black powder cartridges.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice 3855, thanks for the photos and congrats on a sweet shootin' old rifle. I'd say it's a "keeper"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent! Nice rifle and thanks for the pictures. You make me envious. I've got a Shiloh and I've yet to develop a load for it with the holy black. I've got to get serious.
Old Law Dawg
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Great range report 3855! Beautiful Sharps you have there too! :D
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Great rifle you've got there sir.. Thanks for posting... Great group too...When you shoot groups ...do you blow tube between shots...wipe the bore between shots.. shoot five then clean..
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Great rifle you have there 3855. Good handle too. Thanks for sharing and you are correct they knew how to build them. 1886.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nice report. I hope to get my sharps to shoot that well. I will be using the same bullet you are using. Thanks again. Beautiful rifle.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks for sharing :D
I for one am not all that surprised that the bore is mint because in them days they fully understood the importance of using natural lubes such as animal fats and veg oils. They season the bore and keep the fouling in suspension and seperated from oxygen.
Folks today have just reached for a can that says gun oil on it and introduced mineral oil which reacts with BP fouling to create corrosion. Resulting in tales of woe for using BP.
Old shotgun barrels that have used BP tend to be pitted because mainly there is no lube in the loaded cartridge and the bore therefore was never seasoned. In other words, had it been standard practice to grease BP shot shells a good many old shot gun barrels would still be mint.
Just me rambling :roll:
Nice gun and nice shooting :D
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Thanks all for the kind words about this fine old rifle.

Load development for this original gun was fairly easy. The Lyman bullet I use, though a modern mould, is a copy of the original government bullet that has been around since the early Trapdoor Springfield days. This gun liked this bullet, sized at .458â€

A Winchester Collector
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

3855, I would love to see more pics of your old Sharps. I have an old 71/84 Mauser that I love from 1888 and it has more character and good looks than almost any gun I own. So, I would love to see more pics of yours! What a fine old rifle!

-Tutt
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Excellent work there!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes definitely more pictures of the rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

I'm still drooling on my keyboard!!!!!
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Here's a couple more pictures regarding this Model 1874 Sharps Business rifle. The first picture is of our informal Blackpowder Silhouette range on a friend's ranch. I circled the silhouettes in red with a photoshop program. The furthest red circled target is a full sized steel buffalo silhouette at a measured 1000 yards. Once you get dialed in, it is not ususal to hit this silhouette time after time. It is surprising what can be done with quality sights and carefully loaded blackpowder ammo.

The fourth circled target from the rear is another buffalo silhouette just short of 600 yards. These are great fun to shoot at. The last time out, the Business rifle went 10 hits for 10 shots on the 600 yard buffalo once the sights were dialed in. Not bad for a 132 year old rifle.

Below is a picture of my son touching off the old Sharps. Another hit. This picture was taken a few weeks later into this last spring and snow was beginning to disappear.

Finally, another picture taken today in the bright sunshine. I fine old rifle that is a joy to own.

A Winchester Collector
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

simply beautiful.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

fine rifle, fine shooting, fine writing! thank you. that is one of the most desirable rifles i have ever seen here.
an acquaintance up here years ago used his 44/77 original [ if i recall correctly] to take a full curl sheep at approx 327 yards. that greatly outclasses getting a sheep with a scoped bolt action doesn't it?!

thanks so much, made my evening.
cable
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice nice nice.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com