Shiloh vs. C. Sharps...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Shiloh vs. C. Sharps...

Post by El Mac »

I apologize boys if this has been discussed. I ran a search and couldn't find it if it has been...

I'm curious to know if you Sharps afficianados have a marked preference for one maker vs the other. And if so, why? I'm given to understand one makes their lockwork from barstock and used Badger barrels and the other uses casting for locks and in house barrels. Now, I'm not knowledgable enough about Sharps to know if this makes much of a difference.

Relating back to the "Fit and Finish" thread...any significant differences in that regard?

Thanks...
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

anybody....anybody....?
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Both makers produce beautiful guns. I own a Shiloh.

In my experience, every person I know (and they are many) who has dealt with the Bryan family (who owns Shiloh), say they are hard to beat for customer service and are just great to do business with. I am one of those people.

C. Sharps uses Badger barrels, Shiloh makes their own. Both shoot exceptionally well.

The waiting period for a Shiloh averages longer than for a C.Sharps.

Take your pick.

A Winchester Collector
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

most of the top shooters in BPCR shoot Shiloh rifles. the fit and finish, quality through out, and even feel, all point to Shiloh. C. Sharps is a great rifle no doubt but having owned both, the Shiloh has it hands down. There are other single shots out there that win matches but a good shooter, will be a better shot, with a shiloh. They are more orignial in design than anyothers.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My wife bought my Shiloh back when Wolfgang owned 'em. The Bryans have been more than courteous and helpful when I was called to get some info on mine. When I order a new Sharps, it'll be a Shiloh.

Now, I have been looking at C.Sharps to have an 1885 Winchester made. As said above, they build VERY nice rifles also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I have an old Shiloh made when they were still back East. It is superbly accurate with jacketed bullets but not as good with cast. I have spoken with both companies about a new rifle and would have no hesitation with either one - I believe both are reputable.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I'm in the minority as I have a C.Sharps. Beautiful finish and the wood is perfect and it shoots a heckava' lot better that I do. Shiloh's are fantastic rifles and as soon as I have the ticket price saved up I'll have one of those as well. I think either brand will do a man proud.
A word of warning though,once you start messing around with a Sharps the rest of your rifles are likely to be kind of lonely. :wink:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There isn't enough difference between the two in either finish and fit , accuracy or any other measure of quality to get excited about.
CSharps generally has a pretty fair selection of rifles on hand and ready to go. Wait on ordering one is anywhere from 30 -90+ days, depending on how many extras you order.
Shiloh does from time to time have a rifle with no one to give it a home, but the wait for ordering one is rather lenghty.

A person really can't go wrong with either brand, and both of those are a much better buy than anything the Italians are throwing our direction nowdays.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

+1 McDowell's comments

I own a Shiloh and have shot C. Sharps rifles and cannot tell a difference between them.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Forget the Sharps and buy a Hiwall. Center hammer instead of that clumsy side thumper and off set firing pin!
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

cowboykell wrote:Forget the Sharps and buy a Hiwall. Center hammer instead of that clumsy side thumper and off set firing pin!
Indeed...that reminds me of the Harley Davidson bumper sticker - "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"....

No offense meant.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I am a big fan of the Shiloh. Would not shoot anything else.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Scott if you'd of said anything else I think the universe would begin to tilt.

I love my Shiloh. I can't say anything about the C. Sharps as I haven't owned one nor shot one.
Old Law Dawg
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

C Sharps started out as the custom shop for Shilo
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great