Flying to Dutch today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Flying to Dutch today.

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Didn't get to go home between Kodiak and Dutch. Been a few years since I have been in Dutch. It's a pretty cool place. I'll post some photos.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Flying to Dutch today.

Post by Grizz »

fotos from the air would be nice, if you have the good spot.

been blowing some I hear, snow off the tops swirling in the harbor.
makes painting a pain. maybe that's why the words are so connected?

Grizz
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

Hope you had fun in Dutch! It has gotten more expensive, but the Wednesday night buffet at the Grand Aleution is still awesome. I flew the Grumman Goose out of there for 5 years and love it.
"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not used one or is un-wittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Phil Shoemaker
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Didn't make it in, flew out of Kodiak this morning, just got home, 11:15 pm. Will try again tomorrow.

Winds were 50 knots gusting. Plane was getting thrown all over the sky, and the winds were increasing, so did the normal refuel in Cold Bay and head to Anchorage.

ArcticGoose, when were you flying out of Dutch? I may have been there at the same time. That is one of my favorite airplanes. They lost one of them, right?
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

I flew the Goose out of DUT from 8/98 to 8/03 then flew the Saab 340 in and out of there for the next 12 years. We lost the turbine Goose just before I got hired and then after I moved to town they crashed a couple more. Nobody hurt on the last 2, but hard to see that happen to such amazing aircraft. Pretty sad. I'm no longer there and neither are the Gooses. Not many operators using the Goose anymore. There is a good chance that if you have been to Dutch in the last 17 years I may have been driving.
"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not used one or is un-wittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Phil Shoemaker
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

So you will remember when the benches on the mountain collapsed on the side of the runway, and people were driving down the runway to get to the shooting range? This was '04, I think.

I spent that summer shooting the wall back and shooting new benches. You would have seen me for sure, and I probably flew with you - I flew in and out a few times.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks Harry, kewl video clip
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

rjohns94 wrote:Thanks Harry, kewl video clip
Oh yeah!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Yes, thank you. That's one of the coolest airplanes in the world. Had some great rides in SE AK in them. Somehow they managed to crash 'em, I don't think any are in service now. Except for maybe ADF&G.

Good memories

Grizz
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

I do remember the work that had to be done on Ballyhoo. Drove around the pile of rocks to get to the shooting range many times.
Harry,
Thanks for posting the video! I have flown N7811 a lot. Nice to see some video out there. It brings back some good memories. Not sure if I could identify that as my hand on the throttles or not. It is possible tho.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Made it in last night. No internet where I am staying, and not really phone service either.

Nice to be back.
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

Enjoy!