FYI for Savage Axis Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

FYI for Savage Axis Rifles

Post by SteveR »

I picked one up in .233/5.56 for a secondary rifle in case the communists in NY completely ban any semi auto in said caliber.

Anyway, I found one at my local dealer and not a great price, but a good deal for NY. I ordered in a scope and mount. I waited all week for shipping, then I got it all together, went out last night for a couple of shots and it wouldn't fire.

I never checked if it would fire without the scope, it does not have iron sights. So anyway, I searched the internet and could not find anything about it.

What was happening was, it would chamber a round, the bolt would go almost completely down. It seemed like it wanted to go more, but it was solid and so I tried to fire, it would not allow the firing pin to hit the primer hard enough to set it off. I tried a few times more, but realized something is wrong.

So, I called the gunshop and asked what to do, they said bring it in and we will send it to Savage to fix. I then took off the scope and started taking the mount off and as I loosed the screws, I felt the bolt go completely into battery. So then I tightened the screws one by one, and found the one screw over the bolthead would bind the bolt head, not allowing for it to completely seat. So I took a file to it and took about 1000th off of it, and it tightened down and allowed the bolt head to freely travel to lock in.

I should have fired it before the scope was on, just to check that it would fire.

Secondly, Savage makes a really safe action, even thought it seemed the bolt was all the way down, it really wasn't. And now that I got to scope to mount, it is a sweet shooting light little rifle. Still more sighting to do, but just resting freehand on the side of my car, I was hitting the other rounds holes on the target!

I can't wait to get to my range and benchrest it and see what it will really do.

Also, the trigger is very, very lawyer heavy at 6lbs. So, I will adjust it, too bad it doesn't come with the Accu-trigger, but this one can be adjusted though.

Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: FYI for Savage Axis Rifles

Post by AJMD429 »

That same scope/sight-screw 'bind' can happen to Marlin lever actions (especially the 1894's) and Ruger 10/22's.

The other similar issue is with Win 1892 clones and the access screw for the bolt-pin.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Good to know. Funny how just a simple over length screw can mess up an action. Maybe later I can get to the range.

Steve
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

SteveR wrote:
I ordered in a scope and mount.

I got it all together, went out last night for a couple of shots and it wouldn't fire.

What was happening was, it would chamber a round, the bolt would go almost completely down.

I then took off the scope and started taking the mount off and as I loosed the screws, I felt the bolt go completely into battery.

So then I tightened the screws one by one, and found the one screw over the bolthead would bind the bolt head, not allowing for it to completely seat.

I took a file to it and took about 1000th off of it, and it tightened down and allowed the bolt head to freely travel to lock in.

I should have fired it before the scope was on, just to check that it would fire.

Yep - "Scope mounting 101".

I'm glad you figured it out for yourself.

Actually, when fitting ANY scope mount base(s) to a rifle, each screw, one at a time, should be checked in it's intended position via tightening that single screw & trying to move the base, to see if the screw is limited in the bottom of a blind hole, or protruding into the bolt raceway (not just at the bolt head/lugs).

Remove the screw that's been verified, and do the same thing over again with a different screw/location, etc, etc until all the base screws are verified.

My next-to-last step is to remove the screws/bases, and de-grease the screw & barrel/receiver threads before applying a single drop of blue LocTite (it comes in a red bottle) to all the threads, and re-installing everything.

As a last step, I recommend securing the action solidly in a padded vise, seating a flat-faced punch atop each screw head, then giving each screw head a solid whack with a heavy hammer - applying a bit more screw tightening after the blow(s) usually results in being able to tighten each screw an additional portion of a turn.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You can even stop a 1911 from functioning, just by changing the grips...

...thankfully I always 'test-fire' my CCW piece at least weekly, but I did carry it for 24 hours after the grip change and it's a good thing I didn't need to fire it during that time... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

blue LocTite (it comes in a red bottle)
Thats like a fat girl in skinny jeans, sounds funny :?
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The axis II comes with the accu-trigger, and upgraded scope for about another 65-70 bucks.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Pete44ru wrote:
SteveR wrote:
I ordered in a scope and mount.

I got it all together, went out last night for a couple of shots and it wouldn't fire.

What was happening was, it would chamber a round, the bolt would go almost completely down.

I then took off the scope and started taking the mount off and as I loosed the screws, I felt the bolt go completely into battery.

So then I tightened the screws one by one, and found the one screw over the bolthead would bind the bolt head, not allowing for it to completely seat.

I took a file to it and took about 1000th off of it, and it tightened down and allowed the bolt head to freely travel to lock in.

Yep - "Scope mounting 101".

I'm glad you figured it out for yourself.

Actually, when fitting ANY scope mount base(s) to a rifle, each screw, one at a time, should be checked in it's intended position via tightening that single screw & trying to move the base, to see if the screw is limited in the bottom of a blind hole, or protruding into the bolt raceway (not just at the bolt head/lugs).

Remove the screw that's been verified, and do the same thing over again with a different screw/location, etc, etc until all the base screws are verified.

My next-to-last step is to remove the screws/bases, and de-grease the screw & barrel/receiver threads before applying a single drop of blue LocTite (it comes in a red bottle) to all the threads, and re-installing everything.

As a last step, I recommend securing the action solidly in a padded vise, seating a flat-faced punch atop each screw head, then giving each screw head a solid whack with a heavy hammer - applying a bit more screw tightening after the blow(s) usually results in being able to tighten each screw an additional portion of a turn.

Good advise, thanks Pete.
But, I differ with the use of lite-tite or any of those type products. I make a real mess trying to remove or change mounts.
I also never, ever tighten down the screws and smack with a hammer to get an extra thread, never needed it and never had a mount come loose.

The odd part of this style action, is they place the holes for the mount right over the bolthead, I sure it is plenty strong, but would rather have holes where less pressure is being applied.

Steve