Colt 1911: Original configuration, or Commander?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Colt 1911: Original configuration, or Commander?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thinking about one of these fine pistols -- and thinking I should try a Commander. I have always had the full size. What do y'all who have shot and carried both have to say?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Colt 1911: Original configuration, or Commander?

Post by Sixgun »

Bill,
In my opinion, there is only one 1911.....the full size with ivories.----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

What do you plan on doing with it? If you're going to CCW a lightweight Commander cannot be beat. Competition or just blasting at the range and I would pick a steel full size like that beauty of Sixgun's.

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I either like the full-size or the 'Officer' model - but my 'Officer Model' holds 12 rounds...'cuz I like the double-stack versions... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Have both. Nod goes to the Commander.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

You'd think the minor length difference wouldn't add up to much in terms of carry comfort -- but it does, at least to me. And the Officer's is even more comfy -- not that the full-size GM is an onerous burden to a motivated person with a good holster and belt.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I have both and, if CCW is a real consideration, I would go with the Lightweight Commander. It is SO much easier to tote around.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've owned and carried all three sizes. I sold the Officers as I don't care for the short grip. The best carry pistol is hands down the
LW Commander. While there is a little more recoil and muzzle flip than a steel full size, it's not serious and it's not unpleasant to shoot.

I like the full size steel version too and shoot it a lot when at the range. it is the most comfortable to shoot a lot and is a little easier to make hits with.

Bottom line, if I could only have one, it would be the steel Combat Commander. Best of both worlds.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

tman wrote:Have both. Nod goes to the Commander.
+1. But, not a light weight, the steel framed Commander. I carry one and have no issues with it. I shoot Wild Bunch competitions and it requires the full size... but my Commander is fully the equal to the full size in both accuracy and longevity. I've carried the Commander as both my duty gun and for CCW purposes. The weight isn't a problem in a good holster.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks fellas. I got a sudden attack of the "wants" last week and put money down on a nice old Star PD, which had been recommended to me 30-some years ago by LEO friends. But they have been out of production for a long time, parts are scarce and they have a reputation for breaking firing pins and cracking frames with more than light use. Decided I ought to spend more and get a real Colt.
Also looking at the .38 Super, another flavor I have not fooled with and need to scratch off the bucket list.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

1911's were never designed as a concealed carry pistol, no sense in trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. They are classiest as they were designed and still look their best that way. Nothing like the old workhorse in stock configuration...

Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I have all three sizes and for CCW day in and day out, I like the Commander size.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had several full-size 1911's including a Gold Cup, a shorty Officer's Model, and both a Combat Commander (steel frame) & a Lightweight Commander (alloy frame).

Each has it's place, IMO............ and YMMV, Bill.

IMO, the Gold Cup was easily the best for target & competitive work.

The full-size/GI models seemed best for plinking or other range shooting, like teaching a youngster to shoot (the heavier guns are better for newbie handling).

I flat just found the Officer's Model to be very hard to control (for me), and sent it on down the road ASAP.

IMO, the steel-framed Combat Commander was neither fish not fowl, so it, too, went on down the road.

Since my CCW piece(s) are only shot once in awhile for practice, but are carried a lot, I much preferred the Lightweight Commander to the heavier 1911's - BUT, I installed a decent set of sights on it (sights I could pick up in less than optimum lighting conditions).

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

A 4" barreled {clone?} 45 ACP is pretty easy to conceal.But, that's pretty much a personal preference.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've had more full size 1911s over the years than I could count. Also a Commander and a LW. I never noticed that much difference in the LW and the standard Commander. A good IWB holster will make a full size nice to carry.
If recoil is a factor, a lot of people are switching over to a 1911 in 9mm. They claim they are real tackdrivers.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have owned a couple Colt 1911's over the years, no Colts in my collection now and I did not care for the feel of the LW Commander in my hand. The balance was just not right?
Today I own and really like three Ruger SR1911's. I bought the 5" first and after shooting it for a while I decided I wanted the Commander length (CMD,Ruger calls it) and that one is so nice and shoots so accurate that I just had to have a pair of them. Now Ruger has an aluminum framed Commander length 1911 out but that one does not excite me at all.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I've carried both over the years and give the slight nod to the steel Commander, it's my almost every day gun.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Carried a Steel Commander for a few years in both .45 and 38 Super Great guns took abuse well and shot very well. Let both go to friends who wanted them more than I (after the .45 was pitted a bit after it went swimming for a few days at work before I could dry it off) and have replaced them with others.
As I got older the weight made a difference so light weight get carried much more than the all steel ones. The replacement to the .38 Super was built for me by a friend who wanted one of my other pistols and had extra parts laying around including a Titanium frame and 6 inch match barrel it turned out extremely accurate and useful. Here are the ones that still get carried the most.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have a 5" custom and a 4" with all the bells and whistles. I really like the 4" one the best for carry. Both are steel frames with full length grips.
Got to looking for the old Rogers grips and found some that come with an integral funnel to speed up reloads yet still have the front edge exposed so you can strip a sticky clip. Shouldn't let that happen but you know the odds.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Shrapnel wrote:1911's were never designed as a concealed carry pistol, no sense in trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. They are classiest as they were designed and still look their best that way. Nothing like the old workhorse in stock configuration...

I prefer the looks of the early guns, though they are often not as nice to shoot. Many of the changes that have come along, beavertail grip safeties, etc, make them more comfortable.

Was shooting a 1911 (pre A-1) with a friend. I dont recall exactly how the discussion came about, but the end result was him saying "The difference is mine(Kimber of some sort) is fun to shoot, yours isnt", and he was correct. It helped to get rid of the short tang grip safety and wide spur hammer, but overall, it still wasnt nearly as comfortable to shoot as his.

Wether 1911s were "designed" to be concealed doesnt really matter, they do conceal pretty well, especially compared to most larger caliber revolvers. It may be heresy to say it, but I find I like carrying, shooting and the feel of a glock 19 more than a 1911. For a long time I was staunchly against their very existance as being terrifically ugly, but once I shot one a bit, realized they were pretty practical, if ugly, guns. As such, I dont find much interest in modernizing a 1911. I enjoy it as an old gun, but dont think of it as a gun I want to carry or even really shoot all that much.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhh.....I'm still "old school" on anything 45. The 1905 Colt 45 pictured on the right (#385) is a nice piece and slightly smaller than the full size 1911, but the 1909 ...(#22) ...in my opinion.....carries slightly better, but beings that there was only 22 of them made, might be tough to find.----6

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Lots of good opinions here. I don't have both being in Commiefornia and getting a Commander here (especially in 10mm) is nigh impossible. I'm with Doc in that I appreciate the fatter grip of a double stack 1911 as I find my single stack is a bit small for my hands. But for concealed carry, a slimmer gun is much better. My vote is a single stack Commander in either alloy or steel depending on caliber and recoil. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Owned several of both over the years and still do.
Obviously a classic 5 inch steel frame is the best range gun, and I probably the most reliable, but for day in, day out concealed carry, give me a Lightweight Commander any day of the week.

I have found the steel framed Commander neither fish nor fowl because there is not enough weight savings over the 5 inch gun, and why give up the longer sight radius of the 5 inch gun if you are going steel. I had one and in all fairness it was a good shooting gun, but frankly like it said, Why? However, one real reason to own a steel commander would be to practice a lot with the shorter gun, while saving the wear and tear on the Lightweight Commander.

One gun that I think is possibly a best of both worlds choice is my Springfield Lightweight 5 inch gun. This gun is noticeably lighter then any of my 5 inch steel guns, but retains the sight radius of the 5 inch guns, and it has a steel ramp insert so you don't have to worry about beating up the softer ramp of an aluminum frame which is really the only weak point on a Lightweight Commander. Some say it's not a problem at all, but I have found that it's smart to be more careful with a true lightweight commander like the Colt version as some magazines like the double bladed Chip McCormic can beat up the softer aluminum ramp. I have had it happen to me.

Now, I do have a Springfield GI Champion, bushing less 4 inch Commander size gun also with the steel ramp insert and it's been a great gun. However, I currently just acquired a Wiley Clapp Colt 4.25 inch Lightweight Commander, and I really like it a lot, and it's currently my favorite, after I changed out a few parts, which I prefer, like arched mainspring housing, short trigger, and ambi-safety because I am left handed.

Anyway, bottom line is you should really own both a good steel 5 inch gun with Bomar adjustable sights and a good Lightweight Commander with fixed sights or several of each. :)

But back when I only owned one 1911, it was always a 5 inch gun, with adjustable sights, so I could always easily dial it in, dead on for whatever load I was using, and I would probably go that way again, but I doubt I would carry it much for CCW, unless I really need to.
NRA Life Member, Patron
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The biggest reason I prefer the Commander over the 5" for carry is that I mainly carry IWB.

When I sit down with a 5" 1911 IWB it pinches the side of my right butt cheek with the slide.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote:
When I sit down with a 5" 1911 IWB it pinches the side of my right butt cheek with the slide.
Well Jay, I guess it's better that your gun pinches your right butt cheek rather than your buddy pinching it. :D ------6. (Hey, it's Friday and I'm feeling a little ornery.)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Why.......Why do I post things like that when I know ole Six is around? :D

Figured you were ornery EVERY day Jack. :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

yooper2 wrote:What do you plan on doing with it? If you're going to CCW a lightweight Commander cannot be beat. Competition or just blasting at the range and I would pick a steel full size like that beauty of Sixgun's.

Eric
Sure it can...

Put the Commander Upper on the LW Officer's lower and you have the best of both worlds. :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

photo 1.JPG
Best carry gun I have every had so far. Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander after I made a few changes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lastmohecken wrote:Best carry gun I have every had so far. Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander after I made a few changes.
Tell me about those sights! After 33 years with my Commander and factory sights, I'm ready for an upgrade... but I don't wanna dovetail the slide.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Griff wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:Best carry gun I have every had so far. Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander after I made a few changes.
Tell me about those sights! After 33 years with my Commander and factory sights, I'm ready for an upgrade... but I don't wanna dovetail the slide.
It came from the factory with those sights, and yes the front is dovetailed. There is a gold bead on the front sight which isn't bad. I like it pretty good. You wouldn't have to dovetail to get a good set of sights, but the old method has a peened in from sight. I suppose you could still get that done, and install a taller rear sight into the existing rear dovetail. However, if you are wanting to keep it original, then probably the best thing is to leave it alone. I do think the modern dovetail method is the best solution.
NRA Life Member, Patron
1894c

Post by 1894c »

... :lol:
glock2031.jpg
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

G ... G .... Gyuck!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hate to admit it but :o , a Glock 23 or 27 in 40 S&W maybe :o a better CCW choice :oops:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have to say that I sort of prefer the idea of not leaving my cases behind on the ground from a semi-auto and will most likely get a small DA revolver someday for CCW just for that reason. Something that can take a speed loader preferably. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

tman wrote:Hate to admit it but :o , a Glock 23 or 27 in 40 S&W maybe :o a better CCW choice :oops:
I dunno about "better", just "another practical" choice.

My EDC used to be a G27. Not a bad gun, but not nearly as "handy" to me as a CCO (4.25"/Officers).

I like the trimness of the 1911 system vs the Gxx double stacks. When it comes down to it, it's an EDC PDW, not a "combat gun". Heck, depending on what I'm wearing and where I am my carry gun can be a .38 derringer (2 rds) or a NAA Guardian .32 (7 rds).

Might 10+ rds be handy? sure... but in that situation, even with a G27, I've brought the wrong gun...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

CowboyTutt wrote:I have to say that I sort of prefer the idea of not leaving my cases behind on the ground from a semi-auto and will most likely get a small DA revolver someday for CCW just for that reason. Something that can take a speed loader preferably. -Tutt
This. one big rwason why I frequently carry my SP101...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote:
CowboyTutt wrote:I have to say that I sort of prefer the idea of not leaving my cases behind on the ground from a semi-auto and will most likely get a small DA revolver someday for CCW just for that reason. Something that can take a speed loader preferably. -Tutt
Oh... you don't wipe down your cases before loading them in the mags????? :twisted: :roll: :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Griff wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Oh... you don't wipe down your cases before loading them in the mags????? :twisted: :roll: :roll:
I never have the presence of mind to do that, but I do know a couple of guys who do that religiously. :wink: :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Well, yes, but I really hate throwing away barrels and taking an emory cloth to the breech face/firing pin...

(FWIW it really HAS been a practice of mine to load CCW mags while wearing cotton photography gloves... but that's just common sense...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

tman wrote:Hate to admit it but :o , a Glock 23 or 27 in 40 S&W maybe :o a better CCW choice :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Griff wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:
Best carry gun I have every had so far. Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander after I made a few changes.

I installed what looks to be an identical rear sight on my LWC, that was made/sold by Chip McCormick.

I found it on his website when I was purchasing a couple of Chip's premiere 8-shot mags for the LWC.

It was a low-profile drop-in for the Colt (IDK about other 1911's).

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:Ahhh.....I'm still "old school" on anything 45. The 1905 Colt 45 pictured on the right (#385) is a nice piece and slightly smaller than the full size 1911, but the 1909 ...(#22) ...in my opinion.....carries slightly better, but beings that there was only 22 of them made, might be tough to find.----6

Six, you have the best guns known to mankind! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The beauty of the 1911 is that, like the SAA, it is a great functional firearm in many barrel lengths. Some people like some lengths and hate others. The trick is finding the one that meets your needs (carry, etc.), fits your hand, and you feel comfortable and confident with. It may end up being a Commander length, it could be an "Officers" length - heck it could be a Long Slide. I recommend one of each! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's the various 'CCW' guns I've relied on over a few decades...

The most user-friendly for me have been the 44 Special 'Bulldog' (middle gun in upper-right panel) and the P-12 'Officer' sized double-stack 1911 (middle gun in upper-left panel). They are both 'mid-sized' so CAN be stuffed in a pocket if needed, but do best in a small holster. Neither has the deafening roar and flash of the 'magnums'.

The P-12 got the nod more often than the Bulldog, because of three factors:
  • 1) it was 'flatter' than a revolver, and carried with less discomfort,
    2) it had fewer places for lint and debris to gather and potentially cause problems, and
    3) it holds 12 rounds vs. 5.
Now, I have long fingers so actually PREFER the 'double-stack' grip (I'd still use it even if it only held the normal 7 rounds). Still, I can see preferring the single-stack Officer model over the others. Realistically, if a person is in a situation where they truly need those extra shots, they probably should have brought an M1A or AR-15 along, or better yet, just stayed home - although why not have the extra rounds, if the magazine capacity is there...?

As far as the longer-slide version vs the shorter, I currently have opted for the longer-slide P-14 'original' configuration (top gun in upper-left panel), as it is easier to shoot in a rapid and controlled fashion.

(. . . plus . . . 15-round magazines fit nearly flush in the full-sized grip. . . and 20-round spares only stick out an inch or so. . . :mrgreen: )

But I am in a self-employed situation where deeper concealment isn't mandatory, and where I carry the longer slide doesn't pinch MY butt. . . :lol:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've a highly do-dadded Officers ACP that I've had for 20 years now and carried a bit. Accurate, reliable and just full of pokey parts. Ugly plastic guns lack those pokey spots, and if you drop them or they rust, so what. Sad to say I'd much rather carry them.
Slow is just slow.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

With no CCW experience or even the laws to allow any carry at all I have one note. I once owned a Series 70, wonderful pistol, and the only time it could have been concealed was under an arctic parka! That is a lot of pistol to conceal in any configuration isn't it?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Canuck Bob wrote:With no CCW experience or even the laws to allow any carry at all I have one note. I once owned a Series 70, wonderful pistol, and the only time it could have been concealed was under an arctic parka! That is a lot of pistol to conceal in any configuration isn't it?
As a "once-upon-a-time" skinny cop, I often wore a pair of 1" too large Levis, and a loose Hawaiian shirt which concealed either the full-size or Commander well. As a slightly... well, ok, much larger version of that young, skinny dude... the Commander does the job of concealing itself a little better!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
:wink: About as many as .357 Rugers did :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Canuck Bob wrote:With no CCW experience or even the laws to allow any carry at all I have one note. I once owned a Series 70, wonderful pistol, and the only time it could have been concealed was under an arctic parka! That is a lot of pistol to conceal in any configuration isn't it?
Well......I've on occasion carried a 7-1/2" barreled Super Blackhawk in a Bianchi shoulder holster (as a college pharmacy student working late shifts in pharmacies), and a Redhawk (also 7-1/2" or so) in an Alessi shoulder holster when deer hunting with it and walking into town later, and no raised eyebrows. In the first case I wore a white 'pharmacy' jacket, and the latter an un-tucked but oversized flannel shirt, if I recall correctly.

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I'm a pretty small old man, yet I can CC a Gov't Model or Commander pretty easily. Often do so with Mexican Carry on quick trip errand runs into town, Just need a covering garment, shirttail out, etc. Find it easier to conceal than a S&W K or N frame in a holster. The Commander is almost identical in size to my normal CC piece, a S&W 3913. Both are nice, flat and comforting!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.