Question for you Guys/ deer hide Tanning.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Question for you Guys/ deer hide Tanning.

Post by 2ndovc »

I took the hide from the fallow deer I shot at 86er's place to a local taxidermist back in the first week of December. At that time the shop owner told me it would be April / May before it was ready. Does it really take that long? Not that I don't trust this guy but since it's the first time I've ever had one done I'm wondering why it takes so long.

jb
8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Yes. I had a moose hide tanned and it took a few months. They have such a workload that it seems to take forever to get hides back .
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks,

I didn't think the guy was snowin' me but it sure seems like a long time. The fallow deer hide had such nice colors to it I didn't want to throw it away.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

All quality work seems to take forever. People who do a good job are so in demand that they have a backlog. Plumber, tanners, etc. it doesn't matter. The really good guys always have a backlog.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

To do anything but a commercial processing on a hide requires a heckuva lot of time and work. The actual preservation of the hide takes only a short time, but once the skin has dried it's as hard as a board and requires many hours of working, by hand if you don't have the commercial equipment. I've done some of it and can tell you that, while it was fun, no one would ever pay the amount I'd charge to do one for someone else! :)
spencer516
Levergunner 1.0

Post by spencer516 »

Pisgah,
Speaking as a taxidermist, six months is not unusally long to get a tanned hide back. I send my hides out and it is a sixty day turn around time. That does not include the prep time for me to get the hide ready to ship, which could be a week to months, depending on how busy I am. I was delayed six months by a previous tannery. I no longer use them! Did you sign a contract? All of my contracts state that it could be up to year for finished work. Nothing should take longer than one year. If it takes longer than a year, look for a new taxidermist.

take care,
Tom