BLR got yer elk?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
plattski
Levergunner

BLR got yer elk?

Post by plattski »

I can't resist posting pictures of the first elk taken with the Browning BLR in .308 I picked up last year. What's not to like about toting a 36 year-old lever gun (even a new fangled one) in the dark Montana timber and putting down an early-season cow to fill the freezer? I hope the picture links work for anyone who is interested. September snow!

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats on the elk and welcome aboard! The pictures worked, and that sure does look nice. Of course, to me, with the first couple days of fall still being in the 90's, ANYPLACE with snow looks darn comfortable at the moment! :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Congratulations! Where were you hunting?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yeehaa! That's what I'm talking about. Good job. A little fresh snow to help tracking, but not to much to make it a pain to move around in.

I'm also interested where (general location) you were hunting.
Old Law Dawg
plattski
Levergunner

Post by plattski »

This elk came from the Mineral Peak area, on the east side of the Rattlesnake Wilderness just north of Missoula. There is a large elk herd that winters north of town where the subdivisions are growing fast and state biologists are trying to get rifle hunters on the elk early to cut their numbers. Of course there's plenty of guys happy to help out with that, and a little snow makes all the difference up in the thick woods. The Browning is nice and light to carry up and down steep ridges, and .308 is plenty for wapiti since shots are generally less than 100 yards. A good start to a long Montana hunting season!
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Great picture! I'd love to kill an elk in that country. Beautiful!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

plattski, Congratulations, I can almost taste it. What was the load? -JDL
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Good deal! Nice rifle...but that snow reminds me of the time I thought we were going to freeze to death elk hunting the Caribou Forest in Idaho, just west of Freedom...yuck...even after 8 years in that country I never got used to that cold..:shock:

Ed
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Good shooting and a nice rifle!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm sure there's colder places on this great old earth but try North Dakota for a life long impression of cold. Spent 10 years there and I'll never forget it. Sub zero weather and wind, wind, wind.
Old Law Dawg
plattski
Levergunner

Post by plattski »

JDL, I was shooting off-the-shelf Remington Core-lokt, 180 grain PSP. The bullet entered in front of the right shoulder (you can see the light bleeding in the picture), through the lungs and lodged between the ribs and hide on the far side. She ran about 30 feet and fell down. Since the heart was intact (although the bullet severed a major artery on top) we ate it first thing - pretty good! My missus and boy love wild game, and happily enourage me to go afield!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

What was the range? Nice elk, by the way.
plattski
Levergunner

Post by plattski »

This elk was taken at a little under 50 yards in heavy timber. I glimpsed two other cows and one bull (couldn't tell how big but pretty nice judging from the length of the one antler beam I saw) but did not get a clean look at any but this one. Tough country to see animals for a shot.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Congratulations! I would love to just be able to walk around in that beautiful country with my BLR sometime.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.