Got a line on this 92 with pics....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Got a line on this 92 with pics....

Post by Ram Hammer »

A friend picked up a '92 recently and isn't really interested keeping it, so he is offering it to me. Its a 1910 mgfd, 32-20. It's not in very good condition as you can see by the pics. I'm interested in doing some limited restoration (mostly on the wood) but the metal will probably be kept as is. It is missing the front magazine cap and magazine spring. The action feels tight.

I'd like the opinion of the members of this forum on what it may be worth and where I might find some replacement parts (including wood) for such a project.

No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've seen worse... and on far newer guns.

Definately a "working man's" piece.

I think you will probably enjoy it all the more for not having to worry about the metal surface finish. (That's why I like Stainless... :wink: )
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I can only tell you what I'd give for it. I'd feel generous if I gave you $100-150 for it... depending mainly on the bore condition. Initially that was a SRC that someone's tried to make into a "rifle". And, sorta buggered up in the process.

To make it a SRC again, there's a LOT of work to be done; to complete the transistion to a "Rifle" there's also a LOT of work to be done. Most of the parts for either re-work can be had.

I hope I haven't offended, as that isn't my intent, just to give you my gut reaction to the pics presented.

Now... that I've said that; if it doesn't offend your sensibilities, put a new mag tube, spring and end cap and go shootin'! Though I think you should put a mag tube ring, which will require making a shallow dovetail in the underside of the barrel to properly support the mag. Or, you could put a Marlin type hanger at the end and re-drill the end of the tube.

In any event, it will require some work to make shootable, it'll probably never again be a collectible piece, although some judicious engraving could cover up those gouges in the receiver!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

+Griff
"That'll Be The Day"
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

I'd take some oil (homemade Ed's Red is my favorite), slather some on the rusted barrel, let it soak in for a little while; then lightly use some super fine 00000 steel wool drenched in oil on it. I never rub to much lengthwise; but rather rubbing across and around the barrel.
Sometimes doing this , you might not totally lose the original bluing and you will probably have some "freckles" left behind.
With a little bit of luck, it may turn out better than you'd ever hoped! :D
otteray
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Griff
No offense taken. I just want to fiddle with it and make it a shooter. Before I buy it, I might just clean the barrel and shoot it a little to see if it has potential. I love putting orphans back into shooting condition but I'll be the first to admit this may be the worst condition of any project I've taken on so far.

Thanks for the tips fellas :)
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers