.22lr ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

.22lr ammo

Post by rossim92 »

Dick's sporting goods got a HUGE SHIPMENT OF WINCHESTER M-22 LR AMMO IN THE 2000 rd ammo cans, 1400 rd buckets and the 555 rd bricks. I bought one ammo can 2000/rd for $129.00 plus tax. That stuff was flying off the shelves. That gives me about 6000 rds in my stock. That should hold me for a bit, maybe :roll: . By the way , what is the black coating on the bullet made of? I understand it is so the ar platform can cycle the ammo smoother. the stores by me have no problem getting the ammo , you just have to be lucky or camping out at the front door to get any. My son in law calls fifteen minutes before they opened and then called me, he bought some on way to work and will go back at lunch time if they have any left. Heck, there was as many women as there was guys buying the stuff. Oh for any woman looking for a good man , just send your description and measurements to me. A picture of the guns you own is mandatory. 8)
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
OLBIKER
Levergunner 1.0

Re: .22lr ammo

Post by OLBIKER »

I have not been able to buy 22 LR at reasonable prices for about 2 years now.I refuse to pay the scalpers prices.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I'm glad you found some ammo.
In all my tests of various ammo on a bench rest 5 guns, none of them liked Winchester or Remington (worst).
6 1/2 cents per round for what was less then 3 cent per round 14 months ago.
We just have to increase our incomes by 50%.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Centennial wrote:I'm glad you found some ammo.
In all my tests of various ammo on a bench rest 5 guns, none of them liked Winchester or Remington (worst).
6 1/2 cents per round for what was less then 3 cent per round 14 months ago.
We just have to increase our incomes by 50%.

I have found the same to be true in my 22 LR firearms. I had a very high number of misfires with the Remington ammo as well. Even with any 22 ammo being so scarce, I won't waste my money on Winchester or Remington rimfire ammo. I have a couple guns that really like the Federal bulk ammo, but most really do well with CCI Mini Mags, and they are very reliable.
NRA Life Member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have had no problems with Winchester bulk, but would not touch Remington 22's with a barge pole :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Borregos wrote:I have had no problems with Winchester bulk, but would not touch Remington 22's with a barge pole :D :D :D
They do pretty well for me out of my little Henry lever and Singl Six for pure plinking ammo
----- Doug
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Borregos wrote:I have had no problems with Winchester bulk, but would not touch Remington 22's with a barge pole :D :D :D
Everyone keeps saying this but I have had no trouble from Remington bulk and it is the only ammo my Walther will run reliably. I cannot understand the disparity of opinions on function. 10's of thousands of rounds through multiple .22's over the years.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Some years ago -- I think about 2000, 2001 I bought a bulk pack of Remington 22's on sale at our local Bi Mart store. Had about 2 or 3% misfires -- such that if you took the unfired shell and rotated it so the firing pin hit a different area of the rim it would generally fire. Poor priming distribution, I assume. I just figured "hey, anyone can have a bad day".

So some while later -- a year maybe? I got another bulk pack of the Remingtons on sale. Same story of a percentage of misfires! I was somewhat peeved and didn't buy any Remington 22's for several years after that. Then somewhere in the middle of that decade I bought another pack of Remingtons (Bi Mart liked to put them on sale back in those ancient days). Same old story of misfires! I swore I'd never buy another Remington 22 shell.

A couple of years ago we had this similar conversation on (I think) this site and some of the folks were not having any trouble with Remington 22's such as I related. So I have tried them since that time with totally satisfactory results (function-wise ... still luck of the draw which 22's are "liked" by which guns...). So I believe that somewhere late in the last decade Remington finally got around to fixing their little problem with poor distribution of the priming compound. At least I have not had a "failure-to-fire" with a 22 shell of any brand in several years, and that is with a batch of young shooters hitting my supplies rather hard.

I do hope the 22 shell pipeline is starting to refill and we can get them reliably once again. If not I am going to go critical about year after next at the current rate of consumption.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

earlmck wrote:Some years ago -- I think about 2000, 2001 I bought a bulk pack of Remington 22's on sale at our local Bi Mart store. Had about 2 or 3% misfires -- such that if you took the unfired shell and rotated it so the firing pin hit a different area of the rim it would generally fire. Poor priming distribution, I assume. I just figured "hey, anyone can have a bad day".

So some while later -- a year maybe? I got another bulk pack of the Remingtons on sale. Same story of a percentage of misfires! I was somewhat peeved and didn't buy any Remington 22's for several years after that. Then somewhere in the middle of that decade I bought another pack of Remingtons (Bi Mart liked to put them on sale back in those ancient days). Same old story of misfires! I swore I'd never buy another Remington 22 shell.

A couple of years ago we had this similar conversation on (I think) this site and some of the folks were not having any trouble with Remington 22's such as I related. So I have tried them since that time with totally satisfactory results (function-wise ... still luck of the draw which 22's are "liked" by which guns...). So I believe that somewhere late in the last decade Remington finally got around to fixing their little problem with poor distribution of the priming compound. At least I have not had a "failure-to-fire" with a 22 shell of any brand in several years, and that is with a batch of young shooters hitting my supplies rather hard.

I do hope the 22 shell pipeline is starting to refill and we can get them reliably once again. If not I am going to go critical about year after next at the current rate of consumption.
I get about 10% failures to fire on my Remingtons lately, and unlike the past, they don't fire when re-positioned. They are all from the same 'lot' or at least bought at the same time, so I'm assuming they were having a really bad week. I think they are of about 5-year-old vintage. OTOH, I have Winchester Super-X and Wildcat I've been shooting that are forty years old and less than 1% failures.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have not had any issues with Remington .22 ammo either. I will not hesitate to buy it whenever I can find it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have not had any issues with Remington .22 ammo either. I will not hesitate to buy it whenever I can find it.
It is funny how that goes. I think if I saw Remington now, I'd probably buy it, consider it future 'trade goods', and after I shoot my old stock up, shoot it and see how it works for me. I would not trust any brand other than perhaps CCI for life-and-death shooting, but maybe the relatively few rounds I shoot of expensive CCI vs. other brands just means I've not hit the point where I'd notice mis-fires yet.

The phenomenon must be a 'batch' issue, because if it were a particular light-firing-pin-hit firearm, we'd all have guns it (or other brands) works reliably in and ones it doesn't. If it were a 'storage' issue, likely all the ammo of someone with 'bad-Remington' experience would have more misfires, though perhaps it could just be 'more sensitive' to that factor.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Like I said before my father was in the army.
When I was a young one, I could go on base and go to one of the indoor ranges.
All I had to do was show my ID card and they would give me a Remington bolt rifle, targets,and Rem. ammo to shoot.
They would not take back a broken box, so I would shoot 25 and ask for a new box, and on and on.
I always took home ammo, and don't remember misfires.