A Rossi Model 92 Trapper in 357 Magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

A Rossi Model 92 Trapper in 357 Magnum

Post by Sarge »

I recently traded into a NIB Rossi Model 92 ‘Trapper’ in .357 Magnum. These come with a 16” barrel and weigh under five pounds and measure 33” overall. The photo is of the 92 with a 4” Colt Lawman, for comparison.

The 16” model was not my first choice. I hunted around for a 20” version, which my dealer's distributor said they had- but could not deliver. The only example I found locally was retail and then some. My preference for the longer barrel was based solely on ballistics and my opinion that the longer rifle might be a little more accurate. While the 357 rifles generate excellent field reports on game, I am a rifleman at heart and 2000 fps was the velocity threshold I hoped to achieve. After some research I settled on a maximum load of 19.0 grains of Winchester 296 using the 140 grain XTP bullet, CCI Magnum Small Pistol primers and the menagerie of cases in my brass pile. So it was time to see how much I’d lost by settling for the 16” barrel. I set up the BetaMaster and checked a few loads from the Rossi and Colt Lawman.

Results were better than expected.

The aforementioned XTP load generated 2000 fps, +/- 5 fps depending on the brand of case used. The Colt averaged 1240 fps with this load.

Federal’s old 158 grain 357 jacketed softpoint averaged 1729 fps from the 16” Rossi and 1173 fps from the Colt.

Remington’s 125 grain Magnum JHP averaged 2101 fps from the Rossi and 1418 fps from the Colt.

My current cast bullet load uses a Missouri Bullet cast 125 grain RNFP and 5.3 grains of HP38, with a CCI standard small pistol primer. The Rossi 92 averaged 1065 fps with this load and the old Lawman spits them out at 815 fps. They are essentially a 36 caliber version of the 22 LR. Recoil with these loads was barely noticeable end even the hottest loads were a cake-walk in the Model 92.

Does it shoot? The first three shots of the 140 grain XTP load went into ¾ inch at 25 yards.

I kept shooting on this target while chronographing and there were several 3-shot clover-leaves by the various loads tested. My glasses are trashed and using my ‘good’ left eye I was able to print several 100 meter, three shot groups with the XTP load measuring 2 ½”. Considering uncorrected vision, a huge bead front sight and 20 mph gusts… I’d say the rifle will shoot.

How hard does it shoot? Everybody has fought a contrary stapler at one time or another. I execute the ***’s.. This one took a 140 grain XTP at about 2000 fps. You are looking through exit hole at the entrance.

The Trapper is not perfect. It all but refused to feed any Remington semi-jacketed load. Success with the 38 RNFP load is dependent on a light hand on the lever. Thankfully, my XTP hunting load fed perfectly but any 357 load must be cycled with authority. The Trapper’s sights are too coarse for serious accuracy and its trigger pulls is over six pounds. Still, I like it. I will sort out its gremlins, kill some things with it enjoy its versatility. I have coffee cans of reloads to feed it from. This one is going to be fun.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A Rossi Model 92 Trapper in 357 Magnum

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice report - Thanks for posting it !

I was very happy with my 16" Rossi/Braztech .357/.38 M92 - which was a Big Loop model.

I soon swapped another levergunner, my Big Loop for his standard loop ( Thanks, Shawn ! ), like your carbine has.

I mounted a Williams 5D-94AE receiver sight (meant for the Model 94 Angle-Eject) on mine via D/T a single 6-48 hole atop the rear of the receiver sidewalls just forward of the bolt lug recess'.

I further made a flat bolt safety replacement plug, for bolt cycling clearance with the peep in it's lowest position - which conveniently allow quick zeroing (3 shots) with the issue front sight height (I painted the front sight orange).

Image Image

I also shortened the magazine tube into a "button" mag that barely protruded form the forend, revamping the forend wood & hand-cutting a bottom bbl dovetail to accept a "rifle-style" FE cap ILO the issue bbl band - but, that's another story........... :mrgreen:

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I just looked at one like that . I would not feed 357 at all. I took the cartridge guides out of my 357 Rossi and could tell that the guides weren't correct by a side by side comparison. With my guides in the gun it would cycle 357 fine. I called Rossi and they have a 1 year warranty. The gun with the problem was made Aug of 2012 thus passed the year warranty and they don't sell internal parts. So I gave it back to my friend and told him to get new cartridge guides he would have to send it back to Braztech for repair. It fed 38 specials just fine and was a nice carbine otherwise.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

I really love mine. It shoots everything I can put through it, however, I agree that the sights could be a lot less coarse.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Looks like a fine rifle with loads of potential
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

I have that same rifle, and love it. It is the most fun gun I own. I sent mine off to Steve young for a little tuning. I had him add his rear peep sight, and a fiber optic front sight. It feeds every thing from 38s to 180 gr cast WFN. It is the smoothest levergun I own. It s really fun to shoot plate racks with 38s. My main load is Sierra 158 soft points behing a stiff load of lilgun.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Thank you all for the compliments.

I checked the Remington 125 grain SJHP .357 ammo that wouldn't feed in the 92. It wasn't the rifle at all- insufficient crimp at the factory, who'd a thought it? I'll run it through my crimping die if necessary. At 1400+ from the revolver and 2100+ from the carbine, I'm not letting it grow mold.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have 2 of the 20" carbines... fun w/cowboy level .38Spls all the way thru full-house .357Mags.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I've got some of those Rems, no roll crimp at all.

You may already be aware, but once you get up to 2000 FPS, using a lighter 125-grain JHP typically results in more rapid bullet disintegration & less penetration from pushing those to faster velocities than they were meant to perform at.

Years ago, I was getting 2100 FPS through a standard-length Marlin 1894 in .357.

I'd stick to something heavier than 125s on anything above coyotes.
My preference in my now-shortened 16-inch Marlin and the Ruger GPs that travel the wilds is a heavy 180.

Have a bunch of gas-checked 180s waiting in the basement to be worked up into a best compromise load between carbine & revolver now.
Carried jacketed for many years, time to switch to solid lead.
Better penetration on larger critters.
Denis
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My old Rossi 92 carbine in .357 is almost as much fun as my old old 92 32-20 rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote:My old Rossi 92 carbine in .357 is almost as much fun as my old old 92 32-20 rifle.
Yep. They'd be even MORE fun if they made a Rossi 92 in 32-20 (or even in that new-fangled 32 Fed Mag).

I posted on my Rossi 92 'Trapper' a ways back... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55112
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Griff, that is a pretty 92 SRC.

Denis, I hear you on the 125’s being way past their design parameters at 2100 fps. They do have ‘pest control’ written all over them, though. 140 XTP’s at 2000 fps will shred a gallon jug of water & bore a 3/4x1 inch hole in a Brownells catalog behind it, leaving a flattened jacket with a little lead in it. Those are as light as I’ll go for deer and inside 50 yards, I’d aim behind the shoulder joint. Hornady’s Ballistic Calculator shows it slowing to 1400 fps at 150 yards, the outer limit I’d turn it on a game animal.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I don't have a Trapper , but I like them. We have a standard SRC Puma. I fitted a George Washington quarter where the puma use to be.
It is a great shooter. Took it out late today and shot some steel at 25 to 100 yards.
The 2nd notch up keeps me on a 6" swinger at 50 yards and also at 100 yards with a 6 'O'clock hold.
125 grain cast and 7 grains of Unique in 357 cases.
Have shot coyotes with it and it spins them around and then they tip over.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Sarge,
140s would handle deer.
I wouldn't go any lower through a .357 carbine.
125s would be better suited to varmints where violent breakup works for you, instead of against you.
Denis
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Rossi Model 92 Sight Redux

Post by Sarge »

The issue sights on 16” Rossi 92’s consist of an odd semi-buckhorn rear and a large brass bead front sight. With the gun’s 12 ½” sight radius, the bead looks like a brass hubcap. At 0.650” high, it’s just waiting to get hooked on something. The rear sight’s ‘horns’ interfere with your peripheral vision of the target. In short, they unnecessarily complicate precise shooting.

I’ve always liked the flat-top sights on pre-64, ‘94 Winchesters. Coupled with a fine bead, I shoot them better than any other iron sight. So I decided to modify the Rossi’s OEM rear sight with three goals in mind-

1. Simulate the Winchester sight picture
2. Lower the sighting plane substantially
3. Field unobtrusive sights, with no sharp edges.

Armed with a belt sander, files and a Dremel tool, I was a force to be reckoned with! I lowered the rear sight enough that it was necessary to cut a new notch with a cutoff wheel. After little dehorning and baptism in cold blue, it looks like this:

I had a spare Marbles 450W with the 1/16” white bead, which fits Rossi’s oddball dovetail and is infinitely sturdier (and .200 shorter) than the factory offering.

The end result (alignment notwithstanding) looks something like this.
These sights were essentially ‘on’ where I centered them and using the 140 XTP 357 load, anything you put the bead on at 100 meters grows a 35 caliber hole through it. Low-effort, rested 3 shot groups hovered at two inches, a half inch better than I was doing with the OEM sights. Shooting unsupported at 25 paces, two of my 125 grain RNFP 38 loads made that many holes in an empty 12 gauge hull. This is a substantial improvement and I didn't have to Send Money to anybody.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I definately like that new front sight post! I have debated picking up a Rossi for quite a while, but my personal preference has always been a Marlin. If I ever find one at the right price I may jump!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I sure get that 'preference' thing. I am, generally speaking, a Winchester man.

I've had several Marlins over the years and there are two--an old 39M and a 336T--that I sure wish I had kept. A divorce got one and youthful stupidity got the other; 'youthful stupidity' being the root cause in both cases LOL.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I think ya need one of each, a Marlin '94 and a Rossi '92. They are two different breeds.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Excerpt from an article I just posted:

The .357 Magnum Carbine, Perfected
http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-357 ... perfected/

"Primarily, this article concerns the Rossi R92 and a few comments are in order. I absolutely do NOT recommend that you buy one. These Taurus-Rossi 357′s are generating a lot of feeding complaints, usually because the cartridge starts into the chamber and get stuck. Mine required chamber polishing, a total re-work of the sights, cartridge lifter and guides before it was shootable and remotely reliable. The trigger started at 7 pounds and now breaks at three. The magazine follower is plastic and must be replaced. The wood needs refinishing, right out of the box. Sight dovetail dimensions are all over the place. So are sharp edges, which require rounding off and rebluing. They are a PITA to work on, everything inside them is cast/MIM and Rossi will NOT sell you internal parts. So if you’re serious about investing in a 357 carbine- do yourself a favor and just get a Marlin 1894C."