Curious about Savage 99 in 7mm-08

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Curious about Savage 99 in 7mm-08

Post by JeffG »

My brother-in-law, who is my shooting guru (...but scoffs at leverguns, so how much can I trust him) says the only lever gun he ever considered was a Savage 99 in 7mm-08 made just before they stopped them. Is that so, has anyone seen one. I might consider it as a gift for him...shutting him up about trashing leverguns would be priceless.
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Be prepared to pay big bucks if you can even find one. They are one of the most sought after of "modern" Savage 99s. If you are willing to wait a year or so you might be able to buy a brand new one though. It is widely rumored that Savage is bringing back the 99 next year. I would willing to bet 7mm-08 will be one of the chamberings they offer.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Curious about Savage 99 in 7mm-08

Post by Sarge »

JeffG wrote:My brother-in-law, who is my shooting guru (...but scoffs at leverguns, so how much can I trust him) says the only lever gun he ever considered was a Savage 99 in 7mm-08 made just before they stopped them. Is that so, has anyone seen one. I might consider it as a gift for him...shutting him up about trashing leverguns would be priceless.
First, you need to adopt me as your honorary brother in law. I am happily married and promise not to bother your sister; in fact she'll probably never see me. I also pledge not to show up for holidays, family reunions, etc. Y'all can put a pic of me on the wall and in the family album, if you like.

Now with the formalities properly disposed, we can get on to your question. I understand the 7-08 to be essentially the shortened equivalent of the 7x57, a legendary game cartridge itself. I have owned a couple of the latter, an ancient Rolling Block being my favorite among them. It kills all out of proportion to its size or paper ballistics. If the 7-08 will match or shade it in modern guns, it is a dammed fine cartridge.

The most dedicated and knowledgeable group of 99 addicts on the web is quite probably located athttp://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbth ... /40/page/1

There you will find references and photos of these fine rifles, galore. Now I will close with my favorite desktop photo- the one that keeps me sane at work on days when I'd like to toss my 'puter out the third-floor window and head for this spot:
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have this one in 7-08, 20" barrel. It has almost a thousand through it of a very wide variety of loads. Great cartridge for a handloader. Factory offerings are limited and not widely available.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...