Browning's new A5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Browning's new A5

Post by getitdone1 »

Discovered today that Browning has a new version of the Auto 5 also known as the A5.

They are calling this new one simply A5 and it's supposed to be an improvement over the original. Still has the "humpback" receiver. Looks much the same but still a little different. Improving the reliability over the old version would be quite a feat and wonder if they really did.

Of course you can see and read about it at the Browning web site. Here's the link:

http://www.browning.com/library/infonew ... asp?id=372

Anyone here have one?

Don
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Browning's new A5

Post by dkmlever »

Been looking at one of the Stalker versions for goose and duck hunting....I like it a lot, all the reviews I have seen and videos on youtube, looks like they got it right!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The new Browning A5 has the same Inertia Drive operating system as the Benelli Montefeltro's

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hunted deer with a Captain that had one of the old ones. He's line up the two beads on that rib, and it was just about pop can accurate at whatever he shot at.....Watched him blow the head off a cattail at prolly 25yds on a bet....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Been out for quite some time. I am an A-5 aficianado. Owning several.
I want one of the new ones and have been on Browning for years to make a new version using new technology.

Not 100% sold on the stock styling, I like the rounded grip, and the receiver has some curves to it that I don't care for, but still, is on my list.

May very well have one before turkey season.

Waiting a little bit to see if it gets launched in 20ga, then HOLD ON, maybe a NEW Sweet 16 version !!!! I would be all over that.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've had several customers come in the shop in the last year wanting one of the new A-5's . And in each instance I urged them to let me find them a nice old A-5 . Based on initial cost and resale value a nice condition old A-5 is the better investment . Now by nicer old A-5 I mean the totally Belgian made ones . Generally I can get a nice 12 for $800 or less be it Lite or MAGNUM . Generally a nice Sweet 16 can be had for $1200 or less and a Lite 20 or 20 MAG can be had for $1500 or less . By my definition nice is 95% or better .

I think the first time I priced the new A-5 to someone their cost was gonna be about $1500 .

So Joe Blow Customer comes in the shop and buys new A-5 for $1400 to 1600 . Takes it out and shoots it some then the gun is worth maybe $800 on the used market . "IF" Mr.Blow had bought a nice Belgian made used Lite 12 he could have gotten a very nice one for $900 or less . Provided he keeps it the same shape he bought it , the gun should increase in value . Where as the "new A-5" will lessen for a number of years before it will reach collectible status .

But then I look at just about all gun purchases anymore by resale value .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd try one out.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

6pt-sika wrote: nicer old A-5 I mean the totally Belgian made ones .
+1....much more desireable and hold their value
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

Did they ever make the old A-5 with a 3 inch chamber, and safe to shoot steel through?
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Yes, the Japanese (Miroku) made A-5s were made in 12 and 20 mag versions and had barrels that could take steel and were later equipped with invector chokes. With the mag versions, though, you were limited to using HV or short mags when you wanted to go light. Had a Japanese made 20 Mag that was a fine gun. Still, the Miroku made guns didn't have the beautiful patina and grace of the Belgium made guns, at least as far as I'm concerned.
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

The old A-5's made a heck of duck gun, assuming the duck was close enough to club. The new A-5's are just the ticket and I'm saving my money to buy one. They are well balanced, well made, well engineered, proven (in another brand), and light as a feather. What else could one ask for - oh yeah, wait, romance - then an old A5 is right up your alley. :wink: :o
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

What is re-sale value? Never bought a gun to re sell it. I guess wife might be interested in that in case I die first.

I agree somewhat with 6pt in that I would rather just buy an Invector barrel for my Belgian, but so far, not much luck with that and they are at least $450. But, still cheaper than a new A-5.

I was looking at the new A-5's for a couple of reasons, really light weight for turkey hunting. Second, many areas I hunt now non-toxic, ran short this year on Kent TM, and haven't done any reloading, new A-5 would come in handy.

My A-5 Mag stalker, bit heavy for pheasants, but kills ducks and geese.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:What is re-sale value? Never bought a gun to re sell it. I guess wife might be interested in that in case I die first.

I agree somewhat with 6pt in that I would rather just buy an Invector barrel for my Belgian, but so far, not much luck with that and they are at least $450. But, still cheaper than a new A-5.

I was looking at the new A-5's for a couple of reasons, really light weight for turkey hunting. Second, many areas I hunt now non-toxic, ran short this year on Kent TM, and haven't done any reloading, new A-5 would come in handy.

My A-5 Mag stalker, bit heavy for pheasants, but kills ducks and geese.
Maybe I didn't say it correctly I don't always buy for resale either but I tend to "try" and by things I think will retain their value or hopefully increase a bit .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

North Country Gal wrote:Yes, the Japanese (Miroku) made A-5s were made in 12 and 20 mag versions and had barrels that could take steel and were later equipped with invector chokes. With the mag versions, though, you were limited to using HV or short mags when you wanted to go light. Had a Japanese made 20 Mag that was a fine gun. Still, the Miroku made guns didn't have the beautiful patina and grace of the Belgium made guns, at least as far as I'm concerned.
I've not fooled with a 20 gauge mag but I have messed with a 12 mag . All you need to do is take the forend and barrel off , then look at the recoil spring . It's actually two springs like they use on the Lite 12 kinda interwoven . Separate them put one back and turn the little brass thing and the magnum will function with field or skeet loads . We did this to one for my shooting buddy that passed in 2013 . I also found him an extra mag barrel someone had put a Cutts on and he shot it quite a bit .
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

It is an A5 in name and style only. As mentioned, that action is completely different than the old A5.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

It's still recoil operated. Things "DO" occasionally advance in the intervening 115 or so years you know.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pete44ru wrote:.

The new Browning A5 has the same Inertia Drive operating system as the Benelli Montefeltro's

Well then, it ain't a Browning Auto 5 then is it? I have a Franchi Model 48L, which uses the Browning recoil operated action. It keeps on ticking when all of the fancy semi auto's with either gas or inertia operation quit. The inertias do not like the sand that blows up in the local deserts, and if you use "dirty" hand loads the gas guns choke.

Heck, I'm sure Browning is rolling in his grave with having his name associated with something he didn't invent.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Oh, I know and I have no argument about progress. It just sounded like folks were talking like it was a reintroduced A5, as in a new version of the exact same gun.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Then Browning's been rolling for a while..... the 'new' BAR, the BLR, BPR, etc.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

MrMurphy wrote:Then Browning's been rolling for a while..... the 'new' BAR, the BLR, BPR, etc.
Yep, if I hear BAR I think of that 30-06 magazine fed first incarnation of the squad automatic weapon. All the ones you mentioned are fair weapons, but they will never equal the BAR.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad